PDA

View Full Version : Help, car idles @ 2000 RPM

eBoy0
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Got my 96 GSX today, and first thing i noticed is it idles @ 2000 RPM.... its fine when i'm giving it gas.... any idea what the probem maybe? I'm guessing vacuum leak, or the BOV is making it idle at that high...
The mechanic did all the basic tests, checked hoses, engine, brakes, ect... he didnt want to get all into inspecting the 2000 idle though... grrr, it maybe throttle yes, but its most likely a leak in the vacuum or the BOV cylinder isn't tightened enuff/too much.

STEvil
06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
take a can of ether and give a small spray over top the engine (hold down top to spray for about 1 second at most) and if the engine idles faster its probably an intake seal somewhere or vacuum leak (can use this method to track down its location as well).

Just be carefull not to use too much or to point directly at the intake.. gives false results and you can cause damage to the engine (from overdoing it).

disclaimer: CAUTION!!!

Carlz0r
06-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Have you checked out http://www.team-2g.com ? They have a lot of useful info and helpful people there, as it's dedicated to 2g eclipses.