PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Guide?

Mr.X
06-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi,

I'm a beginner when it comes to CPU overcloking and I would really appreciate it if you could point me to a step-by-step overclocking guide that isn't too old.

I'm going to build a new pc soon and I'm planning do get a Core 2 Extreme CPU at the end of the year. Until then I'll probably buy a Pentium D 805 and overclock it as far as it goes. I'm only waiting for a Core 2 Duo/SLI ready Motherboard to procceed with my purchase so that i won't need to get a new one when I upgrade again.

Also, I would like to know the limits of the 805 and If I should buy a cooling system to get it to run stable or if I should just stick with it's stock cooling.

Future Specs:
CPU: Pentium D 805 /Core 2 Extreme later on
RAM: OCZ 2GB Kit DDR2 800Mhz Platinum (4-5-4-15)
GPU: GF 7950 GX2
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W

Help a rookie out! :wave:

Bail_w
06-21-2006, 05:13 AM
PLease use the "search" button next time.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57148

Mr.X
06-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Sorry my bad. Could anyone tell me how much can the D 805 be overclocked? What's it's limits?
EDIT: That guide seems a bit outdated.

SoF
06-21-2006, 06:29 AM
again: use the search button there's enough about "how to..." here...
additional: wrong section, you may ask such staph in the intel section but here's a place for posting xtreme overclocking results.
Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but it really gets me anytime I see such questions here in xtreme overclocking section...

andyisc00l
06-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry my bad. Could anyone tell me how much can the D 805 be overclocked? What's it's limits?
EDIT: That guide seems a bit outdated.

E6600/E6700 is fine, you mideswell just spend $300 and not waste the extra $700 on the x6800, its not gonna be worth it for you(figuring the price to performance ratio, $700 for a few hundred extra mhz, wayyy not worth it), you will need extra air cooling with the 805, getting some AS5 and a scythe ninja or big typhoon is essential, or the tower 120 if you can find it (depending on the chip 3.8ghz+)...most people here who are reasonable with their money will all say just get an e6600, you'll be able to hit up 3.6ghz+ with a good stepping..or get an e6700 and hit 3.8ghz+ with a good stepping, most people will say just spend $300 and save it for something else like water cooling..also from what I understand your PSU is ok but the OCZ GameXStream is around the same price, lil less, 700w with 72 amps on the 12v rails which will be much more then needed and will ensure future upgrades...the 7950gx2 requires 36amps on the 12v rails if you want SLI, even more if you oc..something to keep in mind...or if you exchange in the future and get 2 other cards in SLI and decide you want to volt mod, you'll need more then 44amps on 12v rails(enermax)..also its cheaper, a good psu, and 72amps on 12v rails (amazing)..
also you might want to read in to running raid 0 on your setup..a few 200gb hard drives in raid0 would be nice.

Mr.X
06-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the answer! I'll take your suggestions into consideration.
Some questions though:
Since there is no way I will be getting a second 7950 GX2 shouldn't the Enermax be enough? It's a bit difficult to get an OCZ GameXStream around here.

Also, conroe will have 266FBS if i'm not mistaken. So in theory, I could raise it to 400 with some DDR2-800 sticks without having to overclock the ram, right?

I was thinking of getting the extreme edition because of the unlocked multiplier which would make overclocking much easier. I also thought that the EE would have better cooling making it even more heat-resistant.

Since I'm planning to keep my conroe for a few years, I'm not planning to overclock it to extreme levels. I was thinking of getting it to run around 3.4Ghz or so.

andyisc00l
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
If you only want to overclock your conroe to 3.4ghz you'd be stupid to buy an extreme edition, conroe e6600 can reach past that speed and I think i saw it running 30c idle which is pretty good, also you can run it for more then a few years at overclocked, unless you have a ridicioulous vcore it'll be fine, even then it will probably be fine, also unless your going for extreme theres no reason to waste your money on an EE...and yea that PSU should be fine I think you only need 24amps on the 12v rail for 7950gx2, but if you ever upgrade to sli in the future with a differenct card, your options are limited...I think fsp group has one like that for $150 too..

Mr.X
06-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Ok, thanks! I'll drop my EE plans and get a 6600 or a 6700.
Are you reffering to the Fortron Epsilion 700W? I've seen some reviews on it and it seems good. Should I get this instead of the Enermax?

andyisc00l
06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok, thanks! I'll drop my EE plans and get a 6600 or a 6700.
Are you reffering to the Fortron Epsilion 700W? I've seen some reviews on it and it seems good. Should I get this instead of the Enermax?

only reason I say something is cuz you can get 60amps on 12v rails for the fortron @same price, if you ever choose to get SLI with high powered cards, I'm pretty sure I've heard g80 will need even more power..

theteamaqua
06-24-2006, 09:17 PM
im not sure, but heres what u do.

after assemble the system make sure it boot up fine.(another words make sure nothing else wrong with the system, so if theres problem when u oc u know the problem is oc, better oc after u install windows and such ..) get into bios and just keep increase fsb, eventually u cant do that anymore. then increase voltage by increment of say .05v or .1v , and just keep oc fsb, but do monitor the temperture though. try not to let it go over 60 degree c. also dont forget fsb : dram ratio. thats pretty much about it. lol