PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a 2 socket board?

techstyled
06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I've just come back from TechEd with enough evidence to convince management to give someone other than Dell a shot for our servers. While there, the operations team for Microsoft.com (which includes all their dotcom properties like MSN, Windows Update, etc.) was talking about how they hit it out of the park by migrating off the Intel based HP 580 series to the Opteron based HP 585 series (4 socket) and moving to 64-bit for a larger memory address space. They then said they are currently buying HP 385's (AMD 2 socket dual core capable) for a LOT less and only suffering a 5% performance hit over a 4 socket single core.

SO, my question to you is, what 2 socket AMD based motherboard (or barebone or complete server) should I get to put two 285's in and have the best chance of overclocking for even better results.

Yes, I know overclocking a production server is not "smart" but this is strictly a test situation. Plus, I get to keep the test system (well, keep as in for my use at work) after the fact so I want something that I can overclock to keep :)

I've asked this same question before and it promptly went to page two with no replies.

I _know_ some of you know this. Throw me a bone here please :)

EDIT: Yes, I realize Woodcrest is due any day now and I still may pursue that instead/too, but I want options to present.

Reinvented
06-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Tyan boards should be okay for overclocking. Should work very nicely. They are run on the nForce 4 Professional chipset.

heinrichs
06-21-2006, 12:54 AM
tjek www.2cpu.com

that is THE place for dual cpu systems. and overclocking them

couppi
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
IIRC, the higher model numbers of 2x5 do not clock very well. Your best bet is with 270 or 275. Also, 2cpu.com has many overclocking threads for finding the best overclocking board.

STEvil
06-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Probably whatever board it was MickyMouse used his 285's on.