PDA

View Full Version : mod project and watercooling too. Need some suggestions.

clos6996
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I just got a hold of a chieftec big tower. I was originally planning on using a Lian Li G70 for this but the chieftec is much cheaper. I also got some new watercooling equipment to replace the 1/4" stuff I have now.
I got:
MCP 655 pump
Cooltechnica MP 05 SP LE
DD Maze 4 Acetal
Dual 5 1/4" res
Black Ice GT Stealth 360

I dont have the digital camera so I am linking to a review of it in german (I think). http://www.silenthardware.de/reviews/case/chieftec_mesh_serie_bigtower_ca_01sl_sl_b/index.html

That has pics of the case. If you read german, cool.:D

This is what I want to do to it:
I am going to dremel out 3 holes in the top and mount the rad up there. After that I was going to cut out the vents that you see on the side panel where the HD's are and put in a window there to seal them up. Then I was going to cut a big window into the side. I think this will make it quieter b/c you will not have noise leaking. Also on the side panel on the other side, I can cut out a bigger hole and fit in a 120mm fan.
W/the scrap metal I was going to build a little bridge that the pump can sit on and attach it to the support bar that runs horizontally from the back of the case to the front. That way I can mount the pump right next to the res in the top 2 bays.
What do you guys think? Is there something else I can do to this thing?
Also my loop will be:
Pump--> rad-->CPU-->GPU-->res-->pump.
I think if I mount it this way I can lower any friction that would cause the flow to drop and also keep the pump and res in the highest point in the case.

This case has tons of room so if you think there is something better let me know. I will start cutting and installing everything this weekend.

Thanks.

JoeBar
06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Seems like a nice plan. I wouldn't mount the pump directly to the case though.

clos6996
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Too much vibration?

JoeBar
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Exactly. Just place it on a piece of foamy material.