PDA

View Full Version : Intel P965LT Motherboard

ShiningArcanine
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Intel's website is listing a P965LT motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/dp965lt/index.htm

I assume this is the performance oriented motherboard in Intel's 965 chipset line. Am I correct?

vapb400
06-20-2006, 01:43 PM
It doesn't look to be performance oriented to me, just look at the Bad Axe. Its probably a mainstream motherboard.

Nice find and WELCOME TO XS! :toast:

Thorburn
06-20-2006, 01:54 PM
All Intel DP965 boards have the same BIOS, it'll have a +10% burn in mode but that will probably be your lot.

Rovtar
06-20-2006, 02:30 PM
low level mobo :D it don't deserve my money :D

ShiningArcanine
06-20-2006, 02:39 PM
It doesn't look to be performance oriented to me, just look at the Bad Axe. Its probably a mainstream motherboard.

Nice find and WELCOME TO XS! :toast:

The 965 chipset is supposed to be a mainstream chipset, so as far as 965P based motherboards go from Intel, will this be the highest performing version?

I am asking because my PC is three years old and I had a graphics card failure a few months back so I am pretty desperate to do some upgrades (motherboard, ram, cpu, graphics card and cooling). That and I am a student so I cannot afford to spend money on luxuries like SLI. I know that the 965 chipset is geared more for the mainstream so it is less expensive and that it is not that much different on paper from the D875PBZ I have now so I have been looking at it, especially since it is really hard to find a rev. 3.04 Bad Axe motherboard at a decent price (the most I am willing to pay is $220).

If anyone has suggestions for another brand that is just as reliable and fits within my price range, I am all ears.

By the way, thanks.

vapb400
06-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Give it a few more weeks, you will have tons of better options for <$220.

Go to Biostar's site, all of their Conroe supporting boards look nice, mainly the TFORCE 965 and Biostar is always very well priced.

cupholder2.0
06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
The 965 chipset is supposed to be a mainstream chipset, so as far as 965P based motherboards go from Intel, will this be the highest performing version?

I am asking because my PC is three years old and I had a graphics card failure a few months back so I am pretty desperate to do some upgrades (motherboard, ram, cpu, graphics card and cooling). That and I am a student so I cannot afford to spend money on luxuries like SLI. I know that the 965 chipset is geared more for the mainstream so it is less expensive and that it is not that much different on paper from the D875PBZ I have now so I have been looking at it, especially since it is really hard to find a rev. 3.04 Bad Axe motherboard at a decent price (the most I am willing to pay is $220).

If anyone has suggestions for another brand that is just as reliable and fits within my price range, I am all ears.

By the way, thanks.

I doubt it will be the higher performance ones. The high performance ones almost always have 8 channel audio. They are usually blue or black in color lol.

FunkyRider
06-20-2006, 07:17 PM
The HUGE nb heatsink really bugs me, I can't mount my customised heatsink to the CPU that way

Skyline GT-R
06-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Ok thx, I just added to my thread :)

pcoffman
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
as far as 965P based motherboards go from Intel, will this be the highest performing version?I've read there's going to be a 965G chipset with integrated graphics. You don't want that. And a Q version of the chipset for business. You probably don't want that either.

the 965 chipset is geared more for the mainstream so ... it is not that much different on paper from the D875PBZ I have now The 875 was a high performance chipset. 865 was mainstream.

Intel used to release its chipsets in high performance / mainstream pairs. The 875 / 865, 925 / 915, 955 / 945. Let me know if that's changed.

geforce man
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
i just picked up a conroe capable 1066 FSB board for 65$ shipped, so you can do alot for 220$ :)

Dave DEF
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
i just picked up a conroe capable 1066 FSB board for 65$ shipped, so you can do alot for 220$ :)

which asrock did you buy?

vintage_guitar
06-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Man, What is with this 1x IDE channel garbage on this chipset?? AM i going to have to buy an adapter SATA-IDE..even though they are the same thing? Because i'm not gonig to go out an buy a SATA HD that performs the same as my current with a different cord.... Any of these boards have 2x IDE? they all look to be 1x to me :(

pcoffman
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
What is with this [only] 1x IDE channel garbage on this chipset?
You should be glad that it has even 1. It's not coming from the chipset. Chipset is strictly SATA. Intel wants the industry off PATA.

... Any of these boards have 2x IDE?Lots of boards from other manufacturers should implement PATA ports through third party hard drive controller chips.

they all look to be 1x to me :(What other boards only provide one IDE? I'd like to know. Thx!

qdemn7
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Any of these boards have 2x IDE? they all look to be 1x to me :(Some of them are. Look over Anandtech's articles from Computex 2006, (http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/default.aspx) lots of pretty pictures.

ShiningArcanine
06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I am looking at the Asus P5B Deluxe, the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. I have just one minor problem though. None of them are exactly what I want. This is what I want:

2 PS/2 Ports
1 Parallel Port
6+ USB Ports
2 Ethernet Ports (I really only need one but an extra is always good)
2 IDE Connectors
4+ SATA2 Connectors (I really only need two but extras are always good)
1 FDD connector
3 PCI Slots (they must be at the bottom so they are usable)
2 1x PCI Express Slots
2 16x PCI Express Slots (I do not care if the second one is 4x electrically)
Fanless Chipset Cooling
Reliable
Inexpensive

Here is what I do not want:

Integrated Audio
Wireless Capabilities
IEEE 1394a
S/PDIF In pin header

Is this too much to ask for?

NickS
06-24-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm excited about this chipset. Reminds me of the 865/875 days.. now we have 965/975 :D. 865 Raped, I hope 965 is just as good :D

Nick

ShiningArcanine
06-24-2006, 05:57 PM
The only thing is that the Springdale/Canterwood days had a nicer feature set. I am going to miss my D875PBZLK motherboard after I replace it. I am guessing that I will go with the P5B Deluxe. I should be able to work around the missing secondary IDE channel and the missing parallel port with a longer IDE cable and my printer's USB option, plus my monitor's USB hub. I just wish that I did not have to pay for integrated audio and integrated wireless.

Dave DEF
06-25-2006, 12:25 AM
The only thing is that the Springdale/Canterwood days had a nicer feature set. I am going to miss my D875PBZLK motherboard after I replace it. I am guessing that I will go with the P5B Deluxe. I should be able to work around the missing secondary IDE channel and the missing parallel port with a longer IDE cable and my printer's USB option, plus my monitor's USB hub. I just wish that I did not have to pay for integrated audio and integrated wireless.

WORD!

zert
06-25-2006, 12:37 AM
I just wish that I did not have to pay for integrated audio and integrated wireless.
can't you just go get the P5B non-Deluxe board then ? ;)

@vapb400 your right most Intel performance boards have black pcb's. this one has a green.

ShiningArcanine
06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
The P5B non-Deluxe looks nice but the lack of Asus' 8-Phase VRM design and the inclusion of the Realtek LAN chip worry me, as I want the VRM to be solid and I cannot find a single motherboard review that shows how the Realtek LAN chip performs in terms of throughput and CPU utilization.

I stumbled across a review (http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3745) of the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard at VR-Zone and I really like what I saw in the review. The 12-Phase VRM should make the board last a very long time and it has a Marvell LAN chip like Asus' P5B Deluxe. I also like the board layout and the inclusion of a parallel port. The only things that I do not like are the single IDE channel and two PCI slots but pretty much every board in its class has only one IDE channel and while I wanted three PCI slots, I only have two PCI cards, so those issues are not the deal breakers that the integrated wireless, missing parallel port and board design of the Asus PB5 Deluxe are.

I have one question though. When will the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 be avaliable?