PDA

View Full Version : digital multireader, soldering iron

CCW
02-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonable and fairly cheap soldering iron and a good digital multireader please.

Thanks,
Craig

CCW
02-27-2003, 12:31 PM
actually, are they called multimeters?

CCW
02-28-2003, 10:20 AM
anyone?

felix88
03-01-2003, 02:27 AM
how cheap is cheap? i got my Fluke model 112 DMM(digital multi-meter) for about $140, but i doubt you're looking to spend that much.

Ruantic
03-01-2003, 11:45 AM
No reason a Hobbiest should dish out the $$$ for a Fluke, I love my Fluke but I'm not a hobbiest and use it on a daily basis...

Average person will do just fine with a much less expensive one from Rat Shack

As for soldering, pay a bit more, shop around, find an apropriately sized Weller iron/station....

Both of these items are basic, and indispensable tools, the DMM you can afford to skimp on, Accuracy is pretty decent even with a $20 dollar or less Radio Shack unit... However as far as soldering, Spend a bit more, Buy A Weller, My first Soldering Station I ever bought was a Weller, the thing is 20+ years old and has never failed and still uses the original Tip..... A decent weller Iron will run in the $40+ dollar range, but well worth it... A Nice entry level Soldering Station probably $80 or so...

Not sure what you have locally for Electronic suppliers, so you may have to go mail order or on-line... Even if your just going to use the soldering equipment occasionally refrain from the urge to purchase a $20 dollar iron from your radio shack type store..... They can be deadly to sensitive components, not to mention the tips are very poor quality.....

CCW
03-01-2003, 05:02 PM
cheers, spose i will get cheapy £30 quid multimeter then, but soldering iron im not sure on, er, local kinda dealer would be screwfix which i can order from (www.screwfix.com) but they only do real cheap £20 quid soldering irons that are quite think, spose i will pop to the builders places in town and see what theyve got when i get a chance, spose £70 quid would get me a good soldering iron thatll last? i just asked because i finally worked out how to overclock and im thinking of modding my board after i get new graphics card and watercooling

cheers for the help guys,

Craig

felix88
03-01-2003, 06:11 PM
yeah, i don't just use my Fluke for my PC projects. i'm just finishing up my second year in EE.

i'm suprized with how handy it is. the other day i used it to test if i had disconnected the bridges on my XP1800. i also use it all the time when i'm working on my car. it mostly gets used for testing circuits i've built though.

i've never soldered anything, but i need a soldering iron.

CCW
03-02-2003, 02:12 AM
theory is, if i get a good multimeter now and spend out, itll still be good in 20 years time, same with soldering iron but i need a thin one for soldering mobos, ive arranged with the systems and controls teacher at school for him to teach me how to solder properly and do volt mods and stuff like that, i will ask him bout multimeters, dont have a car yet but will be able to have one in 1 year 2 months time legally

Craig

Ruantic
03-02-2003, 11:38 AM
My Beater DMM is a $39 radio shack, its getting real close to 20 years old, been dropped, stepped on, burned, coffee spilled on it, and lots more.... Still works and is +-.001 of my fluke on resistance and voltage.... I honestly doubt my fluke would still function given the abuse the beater has weathered..

If you have the cash buy what you want....

sjohnson
03-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Agree, cheap DMM's are fine for most hobby work. Spend the money on a quality 20-30W soldering iron, get the fine (about 2mm) chisel tips for motherboard work. Get several tips and you're set.

CCW
03-03-2003, 12:21 AM
Cheers for your help guys...time to start saving again!

Craig

felix88
03-03-2003, 01:24 AM
Ruantic, 20 years ago when you bought that DMM things were built a lot sturdier than they are now. ;)

so, could i pick up a decent soldering iron for ~ $50?

CCW
03-03-2003, 06:47 AM
OK, thanks for your help.

Cheap multimeter, good soldeirng iron with 22mm chisel tips, 20-30 watt + spare tips

Cheers,
Craig

FishaOfMen
04-21-2003, 09:23 PM
I got my multimeter for $2.99 at Harbor Freight :D.

CCW
04-21-2003, 09:55 PM
ive seen em for a couple of quid as well now :D theyre not exactly gonna last though...