PDA

View Full Version : Help: OSX on PC

ugp
06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I was curious...how are people using MacOSX on PCs? I have searched and the ways I have found don't seem to work or I am doing something wrong.

I am so tempted to switch to a MacBook.

I am looking at the 13.3" MacBook with a 2.0GHz Core Duo. I myself am not familiar with the MacOS and would like to use it alittle before switching to see if I would like it.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

[XC] moddolicous
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Putting MacOSX on a PC is still illegal as far as I know. Putting windows XP in a mac isnt anymore with bootcomp.

ugp
06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Putting MacOSX on a PC is still illegal as far as I know. Putting windows XP in a mac isnt anymore with bootcomp.
I found reviews and stuff on it from well known web-sites...why would they be reviewing it and showing it then?

[XC] moddolicous
06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I know there was a tech-guy here that had it installed on his laptop since it made it easier for him to help apple customers that called him. Maybe some people are allowed?

ugp
06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know..I just don't want to get a Mac laptop and end up not liking the OS...I like the look but I am totally unaware of the OS environment.

couppi
06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
OSX86 project:
http://osx86project.org/
Although it runs slow because no drivers.

lross78550
06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
here is my post and a photo of os x running on my sony laptop.
the previous poster is correct there are not drivers for all the major hardware out there and not all or even most apps are written to run on osx86 yet so the number of apps you will be able to run will be limited.
Thanks
Lee

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100550

p.s. It is illegal to run os x on any laptop that was not made by apple for ANY reason.
Im now running OS XI code named Vista :)

Celeron Gamer
06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I found reviews and stuff on it from well known web-sites...why would they be reviewing it and showing it then?

Because MaxPC are morons, and they could get a ceist, and desist letter if Apple found out before they published.

buff
07-12-2006, 04:38 AM
I had it running on both my desktop and laptop.
To get full functionality you need an Intel mobo with the 900 vga integrated.....sound also has to have a certain chip. My emachines A64 laptop didn't have 3d, and only one channel of audio worked. wireless didn't work either.
My desktop didn't have any audio(no creative drivers).
Really isn't worth it. I still have an Apple sticker on my desktop to confuse people :P

mr.tie
08-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I can understand mac being a bit pissed about online guides,telling how it's done but I find it Very hard to believe running a legal copy of osX on pc hardware is illeagal. It would certianly not be product supported due to the various part you would be using and driver hacks, but illeagal just sounds laughable. I also plan to build a budget Celeron mac box, sometime in the near future. Wikipedia osX86 project has lots of fun info about what parts work under osX. I have owned 4 macs in the past, I enjoy the operating system, the design aspect is lukewarm to me, and the proprietary cost keeps me away from buying a new macintel when I can just build one for less, the same reason I build my own pc's more for less. My money says Apple will be producing osX retail for wintel boxes withen 3 years.

couppi
08-03-2006, 06:29 PM
OSX has an EULA, just like almost any other piece of commercial software. I'm looking at the EULA from my Intel Mac Mini, and it says:

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

I think one of Apple's reasons for doing this is that they can control the hardware platform. There are no drivers to deal with for things like graphics cards, motherboards etc. Also they get a lot of hardware revenue. IIRC, a few quaters ago, Apple beat out Dell for profitability.