PDA

View Full Version : Just how much effort can Sony NOT put into the PS3?

Ominous Gamer
06-18-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/omg-playstation-3-controller-spelling-mistake-update-its-real-180260.php
Seriously, how many different ways can one company show it is run by inbred morons?*
http://www.kotaku.com/assets/2006/06/P1010136.JPG

*no offense intended for any inbred morons who may be reading, unless you work for Sony.

Visioneer
06-19-2006, 07:00 PM
would be funny if it was already in production...still they would just sell it without a discount.

OmegaMerc
06-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Its in asian you nubs :D :cool:

Torin
06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
SERECT, oh that's too cute.

Ominous Gamer
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Its in asian you nubs :D :cool:

I sure hope you are joking.:stick:

DTU_XaVier
06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Fine, they had an idiotic half-wit design the controller, he was probably running out of time too...
Call me a freak, but I have that itzi-bitzi feeling it's one of those mistakes they'll have corrected before launch :rolleyes: :D :rofl:

r3w4
06-21-2006, 12:42 AM
I stand by my explanation for Sony's effort that all execs are trapped in Bill Gates basement and can't leave because a Windows ME copy is guarding the door.

theteamaqua
06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
i heard the ps3's componenets r just wa too big to put inside that little box for now, but they might figure out a way to do that

ocmyface
06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
well they have to fit a PS3 AND a PS2 in that little box =\

and i was so excited for MGS, DMC, GT, etc. guess ill be sticking to pc AGAIN

einCe
06-24-2006, 01:08 AM
i couldnt help but laugh rediculously hard at that.

Dimitriman
06-24-2006, 03:35 AM
Funny. Though at first sight it seems fake. I'd like to take a look at the same pic from other sources to confirm, maybe one website that hadn't noticed the typo or something.
Cumon' sony.

irev210
06-24-2006, 07:58 AM
japanese people for you

They switch their L's and R's. Give them a break, they dont speak Engrish.

hixie
06-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Try coming to Hong Kong, spelling mistakes like that entertain me everyday.
Having dinner last week at a chinese place, the menu had 'manual' written on it:rofl: , i don't think i need to be taught how to eat chinese food after living there for 19 years.

Step 1: Order your food
Step 2: Learn how to use chopsticks

:lol2:

p360stick
06-26-2006, 01:56 PM
serect must be a new term.. just kidding

rhkenji
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
actually in japan.. due to the difference in how they pronounce L and R (i think they have no R).. they interchange R and L. This is an honest mistake and they're not stupid either. Its like Im asking you to write something in japanese and you made a character mistake. Thats understandable.. and you shouldnt be called stupid, or dumb for that mistake.

Learning other languages and other characters aint easy, specially when youre in a country who doesnt really speak other languages natively...

If you couldnt understand why this mistake has happened and couldnt comprehend and accept this mistake and still make stupid comments, guess what.. youre a noob.

koensa
07-03-2006, 01:47 AM
comon,they made ps1 and ps2 with the same select buttons,so :stick:

[XC] Lead Head
07-03-2006, 06:41 AM
well they have to fit a PS3 AND a PS2 in that little box =\

and i was so excited for MGS, DMC, GT, etc. guess ill be sticking to pc AGAIN

Wrong. The PS3 has no hardware support for PS2, all PS2 games will be emulated.

Ominous Gamer
07-03-2006, 08:15 AM
actually in japan.. due to the difference in how they pronounce L and R (i think they have no R).. they interchange R and L. This is an honest mistake and they're not stupid either. Its like Im asking you to write something in japanese and you made a character mistake. Thats understandable.. and you shouldnt be called stupid, or dumb for that mistake.

Learning other languages and other characters aint easy, specially when youre in a country who doesnt really speak other languages natively...

If you couldnt understand why this mistake has happened and couldnt comprehend and accept this mistake and still make stupid comments, guess what.. youre a noob.
Wow, talk about getting noobism ass-backwards.:rolleyes:
According to you its cool for Nintendo to walk into E3 with all the machines saying Nintendi. Cause thats about what Sony did here.:slap:

With quality control like this, no wonder the PSP has games with 6 minute load times.

[XC] leviathan18
07-03-2006, 08:35 AM
if they cant write select right how they managed to put L1 L2 R1 R2 all this years??????

Richie P
07-04-2006, 06:44 AM
OMG this made my day! That's quality!

I had a lecturer at uni who would've actually said the word that way!

I want one! :D

rhkenji
07-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow, talk about getting noobism ass-backwards.:rolleyes:
According to you its cool for Nintendo to walk into E3 with all the machines saying Nintendi. Cause thats about what Sony did here.:slap:

With quality control like this, no wonder the PSP has games with 6 minute load times.

im pretty sure that this ps3 is intended for japan gamers. and im sure that serect is acceptable and will do fine when it passes quality control. if you have been to japan or have seen japanese products, almost all of them has this mistake. Again, this is due to their native language, characters and how they pronounce roman letters. This shouldnt be a big deal...

and youre missing my point. my point in short version is: due to their language, this thing is normal and acceptable specially for japanese products. not because they're stupid or they lack in quality control... its because THIS IS NORMAL FOR THEM AND THEY DONT FIND IT STUPID LIKE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

and im sure that because ps3 will be released in japan first, the spelling is targeted for japanese gamers (this is how they read it). they'll probably change it to the acceptable correct spelling for international gamers.

i dont know that you'll do when you read START as STARTO in japanese.

DCR
07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
im pretty sure that this ps3 is intended for japan gamers. and im sure that serect is acceptable and will do fine when it passes quality control. if you have been to japan or have seen japanese products, almost all of them has this mistake. Again, this is due to their native language, characters and how they pronounce roman letters. This shouldnt be a big deal...

and youre missing my point. my point in short version is: due to their language, this thing is normal and acceptable specially for japanese products. not because they're stupid or they lack in quality control... its because THIS IS NORMAL FOR THEM AND THEY DONT FIND IT STUPID LIKE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

and im sure that because ps3 will be released in japan first, the spelling is targeted for japanese gamers (this is how they read it). they'll probably change it to the acceptable correct spelling for international gamers.

i dont know that you'll do when you read START as STARTO in japanese.

You can't be serious...

Are you serious?

Ominous Gamer
07-05-2006, 07:03 AM
You can't be serious...

Are you serious?

If he is you would be better off talking to a hamster.
The word select, spelled SELECT has been printed on Japanese consoles since the 1980s (including their last PS2 release; Ceramic White (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=24&products_id=6915&))

Torin
07-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I love it. Suddenly, engrish is "acceptable" just because the phenomenon exists. To hell with the actual spelling.

Arkangyl
07-05-2006, 11:43 AM
What language were they trying to write in? English.

Serect is not an English word, if there was an QC on this it probably would have been caught.

rhkenji
07-05-2006, 08:12 PM
What language were they trying to write in? English.

Serect is not an English word, if there was an QC on this it probably would have been caught.

its is for japanese gamers, to whom the first batch of ps3 are designed to. serect is MORE COMFORTABLE for JAPANESE GAMERS. dont worry about it too much, IM SAYING THAT THEY'LL REVISE THE SPELLING FOR INTERNATIONAL GAMERS.

They're not focusing if it'll be comfortable or be good for english speakers like you. They're focusing on how japanese read english. and japanese read SERECT as SELECT. so they placed SERECT.

get the point?

rhkenji
07-05-2006, 08:22 PM
let me get my point straight.

the original and current ps3 design is designed for japanese gamers FIRST.

japanese read select as SERECT.

because this is for japanese, they placed SERECT so that japanese can read the thing as SELECT. if they didnt place this, japanese might have a hard time reading this DUE to the character barrier. JAPANESE CHARACTERS are different from our characters, believe it or not.. its hard for them to speak our characters (im sure that you'll have a hard time reading their japanese characters too)

so for the comfort of japanese gamers.. they placed SERECT.

im sure that you'll find this stupid because you can read L fine and characters A-Z are native to you,, but if you read R as L.. im sure that you'll find placing R in place of L is practical and brilliant.

BLACK and WHITE

you see a text, BLACK & WHITE... but youre not familiar with the character &.... because in your country.. instead of using &, it is more natural to use % in place of &.

you tried writing black and white, it turned out as BLACK % WHITE. it'll be ok for your country men, to whom you're focusing on sharing your work with. are you going to write black and white as BLACK & White just because outsiders think its dumb? :banana::banana::banana::banana: them, this is for your countrymen, write it like how your countrymen reads it. black % white!

DCR
07-06-2006, 07:05 AM
let me get my point straight.

the original and current ps3 design is designed for japanese gamers FIRST.

japanese read select as SERECT.

I know what you are saying, but from a global standpoint, and from a historical perspective...

Let's follow a logic path, and maybe we can arrive at a favorable conclusion for us both.

If Sony purposely spelled "SELECT" as "SERECT" to appeal to Japanese gamers, then the questions we must ask are as follows:

1. Why didn't Sony spell "SELECT" as "SERECT" on the PS1 and PS2 controllers?

2. Why not simply write the word "SELECT" (or equivalency of) in Japanese to begin with?

Also, does a Japanese person READS the word "SELECT", and actually think "SERECT"? I guess that is possible, but printing it on a controller like that makes little sense. The reason for the enunciation is in the way the Japanese actually speak. They incorporate an alveolar lateral flap when pronouncing an "L", which the Japanese language has no equivalency for. Very fluent English-speaking Japanese can and do pronounce this letter properly (in western standards).

The fact remains, that if this is truly not a joke, that Sony simply screwed up in manufacturing. However, I find it very difficult to believe that they could overlook something like that.

ak_47_boy
07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Its becuse they say select like "se-rr-ect".
ex. May i take your "oor-da" you "am-ar-i-can" "biga boy"

couppi
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, and I just finished eating sushy.

It's a QC error. If they wanted to spell it like it was pronounced by japanese people, they would have put it in katakana, not romaji.

hixie
07-06-2006, 12:48 PM
rhkenji, i don't know where you are getting your info from, but they definatly didn't do it on purpose. I travel to japan about twice a year (buisness & leisure), and i know they don't try to make english words sound japanese.

The people at Sony's QC were probably looking at manufactoring defects, and overlooked the fact that they spelt select wrong. Or they noticed it, but were on a tight schedule that didn't allow them to correct it.

If you seriously think that they did it on purpose, i don't know what is wrong with you mate.

PS. Sorry if i was a bit harsh with my wording.

arisythila
07-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I hope they dont make the controls too jacked up, I hated playing games that used like both analog pads, and buttons, and the digital pad... GRRRRRR

~Mike

Torin
07-07-2006, 06:34 AM
There is no way that they intentionally put "SERECT" and thought that was right.

Let's get something straight.... just because the pronunciation of select for a lot of japanese people comes out as "seRect" instead of "seLect", does NOT change the fact that the word is spelled "SELECT". This writing on the controller is the spelling of the word, not the pronunciation of it. This is an english word, and it is spelled with an L, not an R, regardless of how it is pronounced in Engrish.

The simple fact is this is a mispelling of an english word, nothing more. You don't see them misspelling "pLaystation" as "pRaystation" do you? No, you don't. It is not common practice for anyone to just print out words as you happen to pronounce them, just because you can't pronounce them correctly.

ak_47_boy
07-07-2006, 09:37 AM
but the spelling mistake was probly made becuase they say seRect.

[XC] Lead Head
07-07-2006, 10:10 AM

No. That is not an excuse. They spelt it right on the PS1 and PS2

DCR
07-07-2006, 11:47 AM

So, a Japanese Sony factory worker was told, in English, to put the word "SELECT" on a controller, and he heard "SERECT", so he spelled it that way in English?

:clap:

ak_47_boy
07-07-2006, 04:31 PM
yes, miscomunication. It hapens quite a bit expesialy when different languages are involved...

koensa
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
No. That is not an excuse. They spelt it right on the PS1 and PS2

QFT

ak_47_boy
07-08-2006, 06:19 AM
It is not an excuce it is a theroy about why the mistake was made. I dont blame them, they are behind and have to get caught up...

[XC] leviathan18
07-08-2006, 07:01 AM
So, a Japanese Sony factory worker was told, in English, to put the word "SELECT" on a controller, and he heard "SERECT", so he spelled it that way in English?

:clap:

first they understand L specially if the person knows some english, the quality control department should be fired its their fault...

hixie
07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
On the PS4 it might say Erect :D

comrad
07-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Anyone think it is photoshopped? Could be photoshopped....

comrad
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
WTH? Server tripping...

rhkenji
07-18-2006, 02:34 AM
rhkenji, i don't know where you are getting your info from, but they definatly didn't do it on purpose. I travel to japan about twice a year (buisness & leisure), and i know they don't try to make english words sound japanese.

The people at Sony's QC were probably looking at manufactoring defects, and overlooked the fact that they spelt select wrong. Or they noticed it, but were on a tight schedule that didn't allow them to correct it.

If you seriously think that they did it on purpose, i don't know what is wrong with you mate.

PS. Sorry if i was a bit harsh with my wording.

i have relatives who are japanese.. and i talk to them a lot in english. and frankly asked them why they talk that way.. hahaha.. and i know how to speak little japanese too...

i know that its hard for them to read and speak english.. and i know first hand how hard it is to study other people's language specially characters (i studied japanese)...

Ominous Gamer
07-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Anyone think it is photoshopped? Could be photoshopped....

You could say that, or you could take the effort to google it, hell even be as lazy to follow the linkage to the other japanese sites that were at the show.;)

Soulburner
07-21-2006, 08:28 PM
That pic isn't photoshopped, it's the same one I saw in my Gameinformer issue.

Judaeus Apella
07-21-2006, 11:49 PM
LOL, I love Engrish! It always cracks me up. That crack about the menu was gold! :lol2:

And the reason rhkenji is pissed off about this, is because he's Japanese. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but of course you're not going to think something is funny, if you feel like you're the punchline. I think thats the main reason he's so aggressively involved in this thread, and ranting about why we're all wrong for laughing and joking about it.

I laugh when other countries make fun of americans... lighten up man. Jeez!

I think my favorite Engrish moment was from the last Leathal Weapon movie, when the old resturaunt owner when he called them a "plick" instead of "pr*ck". LOL

Serect... man that is GOLD! HAHA!

(Common... I can't beleive we're not allowed to say pr*ck. Thats lame man. That's not really that bad of a word anymore... not by today's standards. This isn't the 1940's!)