PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the 805D

KrEmBoŽ
06-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Hello everyone,
I was browsing here after a long time beeing AFK and i noticed there isnt one post about the 805D, all the posts ara Conroe realted, whats up with that? is something that i dont of was discoverd about the 805D???!!!

DTU_XaVier
06-17-2006, 06:29 AM
The 805D is indeed a decent overclocker, and a lot of people probably have it... But it's an older arcitechture, where-as Conroe is the newest thing, oc's like a dream, and doesn't consume a fraction of the wattage of the 805D... So naturally, people on the Xtreme OC forum are going with the Conroe for the best results... :)

Best Regards :toast:

farksy
06-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Hello everyone,
I was browsing here after a long time beeing AFK and i noticed there isnt one post about the 805D, all the posts ara Conroe realted, whats up with that? is something that i dont of was discoverd about the 805D???!!!
There is. But overclcoking a Conroe, as mentioned above, beats ocing 805. =D.

I've seen one on a water chiller hitting 4.3Ghz. Personally i've seen some hit around 3.8-4.0Ghz on air but after that it's more or less a chipset limitation.

KrEmBoŽ
06-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Assumalbe =), thx man.
Whats the price rate for the Conroe?

farksy
06-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Well lowest end E6300 1.86Ghz costs $183. The rest i'm not so sure .. i'll find a pic.

Edit :

From Hkepc.
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/attachments_dir/ext_jpg/price-1_YdXu1hVWDtgM.jpg

Dr.Frankenstein
06-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Hello everyone,

Yeah, they may be cheap, and most can hit 3.8-4.0Ghz, but it's old architecture and they run hot as hell. That's two 90nm preshott's under the hood, one was bad enough. Only buy one if you plan on watercooling it. Even with high end air cooling you're going to be running in the 60's under full load if you overclock it to 3.7 or higher. Unless you're using a deafening CFM fan. Not worth the money if you ask me. I'd save up money for an entry level Conroe instead.

|3ourne
06-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah, they may be cheap, and most can hit 3.8-4.0Ghz, but it's old architecture and they run hot as hell. That's two 90nm preshott's under the hood, one was bad enough. Only buy one if you plan on watercooling it. Even with high end air cooling you're going to be running in the 60's under full load if you overclock it to 3.7 or higher. Unless you're using a deafening CFM fan. Not worth the money if you ask me. I'd save up money for an entry level Conroe instead.

actually I beg to differ. I have made two machines with 805Ds in them and both dont go over 50C full load ( dual folding@home , rosetta@home , dual prime etc. ) . One is cooled by a thermaltake Big Typhoon (stock fan) and the other by an Arctic cooling freezer pro 7. The fault is the IHS of the 805D , its really uneven , but easy to lap. Once you lap it , you will notice a marked difference in temps.

KrEmBoŽ
06-17-2006, 08:44 AM
EASY MAN! I think ur a bit harsh on the 805D dont ya think?

Dr.Frankenstein
06-17-2006, 08:59 AM
My brother has one and this was our experience with it. I warned him to just wait a few months more for Conroe but he wouldn't listen. If it were me I would spend my money elsewhere.

If high temps don't bother you and you already have a board that can support the 805 then go for it. It's your money. They are pretty cheap and will get cheaper.

With that said, I still think Smithfield's blow.

farksy
06-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok. Before the Intel prices drops everyone would get an 805. Now that Intel has release Conroe prices as well as price cuts, along with preslers, everyone's target has shifted to either Preslers or Conroe. I did remember 2 months ago where 805 was everyone's budget dual core option :D

|3ourne
06-17-2006, 12:29 PM
My brother has one and this was our experience with it. I warned him to just wait a few months more for Conroe but he wouldn't listen. If it were me I would spend my money elsewhere.

If high temps don't bother you and you already have a board that can support the 805 then go for it. It's your money. They are pretty cheap and will get cheaper.

With that said, I still think Smithfield's blow.

Try this with ur brother's 805D. You will see an amazing difference and see how your oc capabilities tenfold !

http://upload.overclock3d.net/download.php?id=426&view=1

geforce man
06-17-2006, 01:13 PM
i got an 820 that i got for 100$, i already started lapping it, and i dont even have a board yet! :). im hoping with my xp120 and 90cfm fan though, that i can hit close to 4.0 with it (and my DDR2 800) but im waiting for a conroe board, so when they come out, and are in stock, i can just plug it in w/out having to change out mobo :P