PDA

View Full Version : Question about GSkill DDR500 Ram on a Asus A8N-E Motherboard?

udit130286
06-17-2006, 05:57 AM
I'am going to get G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021) on 5th July, 2006.

But I wanted to clarify a doubt before I get them.

Will they run at there certified speed of 500MHz, certified timings of 3-4-4-8@1T & certified voltage of 2.8V on a Asus A8N-E Motherboard with the latest Bios Version?

bvchurch
06-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Well the GSkill technician in the US and I went through a long list of emails about this issue. Frankly there responses vary but the overall thing is that it will not work. Myself I have an Asus A8N-E Revision 2.00 board and have run old bioses from 1001 to 1010, 1011, 1013 and all of them were the same result for me. The Gskill will not work when you set the memory divider to 500mhz, not even 433 or 466. You have to run it at a dismal 400 mhz (standard), but see I don't necessarily believe everything that I am told by our wonderful friends at Gskill. Some here may recognize me from the AMD forums ( I am the 9th overall poster) and that is where I heard so much about the G.SKill being quality. Trust me, they will not be gettin my business, nor my recommendation. It is nice they "know about an incompatability issue" but forget to warn their clients.

Well I have worked with a variety of manufacturers from Centon to PNY, Corsair to Crucial, and etc and never had I had so much of a hassle with a company as the company that G.Skill tries to play. Just my warning here, but there is really no Gskill office, they are not registered with the state of california as a business (at least not according to the business search I ran at ss.ca.gov) and expect information that is often wrong.

I do want to copy some parts of my emails that I had back and forth with the G.Skill technician. The email parts are in quotes
From the GS Tech to me:

Even Asus admitted that their A8n SLi motherboard has problem to run Samsung UCCC
I would like to see where this statement is published at.

From the GS Tech to me:

The only two type of IC can reach DDR500 is Samsung UCCC and Infineon CE-5.
But this is not true, the Hynix D5/D43 can.

From the GS Tech to me

Probably you don’t know but Hynix doesn’t allowing to sell in the USA. It will be funded by US custom
Absolutely false.
HSA(Hynix Semiconductor America Co., Ltd)
3101 North First Street San Jose, CA 95134 U.S.A
Tel: 408-232-8000 Fax: 408-232-8103

Oh yeah this was from the GS Tech as well

Actually, only Asus A8N SLI motherboard has problem with Samsung IC. That is because the board design before this IC becomes wide spread. The new Asus motherboard doesn’t have problem to reach Samsung IC to DDR500. Even Asus admitted that their A8n SLi motherboard has problem to run Samsung UCCC.

Though the email subject and the past oh 10 responses all talked of the Asus A8N-E motherboard.

udit130286
06-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Well the GSkill technician in the US and I went through a long list of emails about this issue. Frankly there responses vary but the overall thing is that it will not work. Myself I have an Asus A8N-E Revision 2.00 board and have run old bioses from 1001 to 1010, 1011, 1013 and all of them were the same result for me. The Gskill will not work when you set the memory divider to 500mhz, not even 433 or 466. You have to run it at a dismal 400 mhz (standard), but see I don't necessarily believe everything that I am told by our wonderful friends at Gskill. Some here may recognize me from the AMD forums ( I am the 9th overall poster) and that is where I heard so much about the G.SKill being quality. Trust me, they will not be gettin my business, nor my recommendation. It is nice they "know about an incompatability issue" but forget to warn their clients.

Well I have worked with a variety of manufacturers from Centon to PNY, Corsair to Crucial, and etc and never had I had so much of a hassle with a company as the company that G.Skill tries to play. Just my warning here, but there is really no Gskill office, they are not registered with the state of california as a business (at least not according to the business search I ran at ss.ca.gov) and expect information that is often wrong.

I do want to copy some parts of my emails that I had back and forth with the G.Skill technician. The email parts are in quotes
From the GS Tech to me:

I would like to see where this statement is published at.

From the GS Tech to me:

But this is not true, the Hynix D5/D43 can.

From the GS Tech to me

Absolutely false.
HSA(Hynix Semiconductor America Co., Ltd)
3101 North First Street San Jose, CA 95134 U.S.A
Tel: 408-232-8000 Fax: 408-232-8103

:( now this is totally bad luck for me.

but i got to know that if i make my cpu htt 250mhz then the ram will run at 500mhz too is it true?

bvchurch
06-18-2006, 08:31 AM
:( now this is totally bad luck for me.

but i got to know that if i make my cpu htt 250mhz then the ram will run at 500mhz too is it true?
Well I am not sure about that, I only wanted to do a memory divider (known as memclock value in the Asus boards) in that the processor runs at stock speeds (as to not void the warranty) but the ram would run at speed of 250mhz.

Now I found this from another post by the GS Tech

yes if it can not do 250
but i think your mobo is a big issue.... a8n is really bad for high FSB...
Well there is no FSB first off as that was eliminated by the K8 platform. You now use an HT link. Anyways it sounds like they have trouble running at a high
"fsb" which is actually the processor htt of 250. However he was never able to really explain the memory divider not working.

GSKILL TECH
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
i am sorry but just got to tell you that, it works for DFI but not for Asus A8n-SLI, A8N-E. we just can't make A8N to work with UCCC.

Hynix chip charged a lot of custom import tax by US import due to the korean government used to support them. if you check the old thread you will see this. basically it is US anti dram dumping.

dordor1
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I own an asus AN8-E and i got the 2GB G.skill pc4000 working at T2
x2 3800+
255FSD
3-4-4-8
and could be a little bit tighter
T1 can only reach 240FSB

i'll post the setting if needed,

thanks