PDA

View Full Version : The strangest thing...

Cisco78
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Heyas!

Finally completed my first Water Cooling setup earlier today (will post pics later this evening)!

Sooo here I am making the final adjustments to the my rig. I've gone through an tidied everything up, placing a zip tie here and a zip tie there. I get everything set and fire up the system. Everything turns on great, when all of a sudden I realize that the fan in front of my hard drives and one of the fans on my dual rad aren’t spinning?? I unplugged both and connected them to various other plugs through out the system. Both fired up fine on different connectors, but only turned a few times and stopped dead.

The fan attached to the dual Rad is attached to a 3-pin extension cord. I was using this, because I wasn't sure if I could connect the fan to the cpu's 3-pin fan connector. So any way…I just took out the 3-pin extension cord and plugged the rear fan into the cpu 3-pin connector, fired up the system and ALL fans are working fine now lol!!

Could a 3-pin extension cord really have been the culprit in this??

Everything is working great and I have yet to hit any other problems. Has any one else experienced this oddity?

eXa
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
is there a shortcut in the extension cord?

Cisco78
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
not sure...both the ones I ordered create the same issue lol. Guess it's RMA time and I actually don't need them :toast:

g.l.amour
06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, dunno if this could be it

on a standard molex out of your psu the yellow is 12v, the red is 5v and the blacks are ground.

when you take a standard cpu fan (that plugs in on the mobo) with a 3 pin header the white is rpm sensor, the RED IS 12V and the black is ground.

some fans won't spin up at 5V; just a thought; did you cut the wires of your fans to run them straight from the psu molex?

tdunks
06-16-2006, 05:40 PM
OK, dunno if this could be it

on a standard molex out of your psu the yellow is 12v, the red is 5v and the blacks are ground.

when you take a standard cpu fan (that plugs in on the mobo) with a 3 pin header the white is rpm sensor, the RED IS 12V and the black is ground.

some fans won't spin up at 5V; just a thought; did you cut the wires of your fans to run them straight from the psu molex?
most fans do spin up at 5v even a vantec tornado will spin at 5v