PDA

View Full Version : going Intel

buff
06-16-2006, 06:02 AM
well.....with Conroe coming and the A64 not getting anything new for awhile.....I'm thinking of going Conroe soon.
Problem is.....the last Intel I've owned was a cellery 600.....so I have a few questions....

Is the BadAxe the only mobo that supports Conroe right now? What are our options gonna be when Conroe comes out? July 2nd, right?

Is there a particular kind of ram that the Conroe likes?

CrossFire or SLi, will we get good boards for both?

I think we need a consolidated thread for conroe newbs.....:fact:

Mikesnav
06-16-2006, 06:20 AM
July 23
Yes to both SLI/CF.

CF will be recommended, as NV doesn't have a good Intel track record.

Many 965 boards (C2D compatible) will be available by launch

buff
06-16-2006, 06:35 AM
ack......I leave a week after its released....guess I'll be getting it when I come home......

phooey
atleast the kinks will be worked out. If there are any

jrw
06-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Read around for christ sake!

These kind of threads is pure noise to the forum...

buff
06-16-2006, 06:54 AM
yes, I do read around.......the problem is that these things change so friggin fast....and some things people "hype" over.....and the bad isn't heard

people hype conroe performance....but only under 32bit......
I remember seeing something about it being slower on XP64.
Is that gonna possibly change with better drivers.....or something?

I run xp64 on all my machines....so it kinda matters to me. I do have XSOS and xp32 on them also, but I use xp64 for day-to-day things.

Is there no hope for its 64bit performance?

kais
06-16-2006, 12:36 PM
there is a conroe boards thread if youd like, jut search it up, the bad axe is the only mobo for right now i believe other than the p5wd2-e prem. with rev 1.03g. i dont think any particular ram but all motherboard manufaturers have a list of "reommended" ram. although the best bang for the buck is the ocz platinum ddr2 800 with the rebate, that is the bang for the buck of all ddr2 800, imo

[XC] DragonOrta
06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
yes, I do read around.......the problem is that these things change so friggin fast....and some things people "hype" over.....and the bad isn't heard

people hype conroe performance....but only under 32bit......
I remember seeing something about it being slower on XP64.
Is that gonna possibly change with better drivers.....or something?

I run xp64 on all my machines....so it kinda matters to me. I do have XSOS and xp32 on them also, but I use xp64 for day-to-day things.

Is there no hope for its 64bit performance?
XP64? I'd probably just use 64-bit Linux. Wait. I do. :D

It should be fine with 64-bit. I've only seen scores for Rosetta@Home on 64-bit linux, but it definately benefits from the 64-bits over 32 in Rosetta.

Pete
06-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Belive ya said your away for the lunhc of said CPU etc

Go away enjoy the brake

Once back many will have Conore and all the problems with it and mobos and drivers, in thus time many wiz kids will have sorted it out and you'll be a week better off from it

Must comend you on dumping AMD, they aint gonna go anywhere