PDA

View Full Version : Do I have enough power for Conroe?

Burner27
06-16-2006, 05:52 AM
Current system powered by a PC Power and cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe Express PSU:

side note--I just upgraded from 2GBs of RAM to 4GBs of Ram

Asus P5WD2 Premium WiFi/TV Tuner
Pentium 4 840D 3.2 Extreme Edition
4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400
BFG 7800GTX OC
2 x Plextor PX-716a DVD Burner
2 x 400GB HDDs
2 x 500GB HDD
SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Onboard 10/100/1000 NIC

Do I have enough juice to run Conroe/Conroe MoBo when they're avaiable?

Thanks.

Vric
06-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Conroe use less power than Prescott, so the answer is simple.. yes.

freecableguy
06-16-2006, 06:08 AM
yep. you'll be fine.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Even with 4GBs of Ram and 4 HDDs?

Mikesnav
06-16-2006, 06:18 AM
If you're currently running that on that PSU, then, again...

Conroe use less power than Prescott, so the answer is simple.. yes.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 06:51 AM
I should have clarified more. I know that the voltage requirements for the the MoBos that support Conroe are different and I am not sure if that means PSUs need to be changed in accordance.

Vric
06-16-2006, 07:20 AM
again, yes it will be fine.

What do you want to ear ? a No so you can upgrade ? (aka: wife workaround) :p:

Burner27
06-16-2006, 07:25 AM
again, yes it will be fine.

What do you want to ear ? a No so you can upgrade ? (aka: wife workaround) :p:

I am not asking for "permission" from the wife or anyone else. I am asking a legitimate question based on what I have read about the Conroe CPU, the Conroe supported mobos and the additional ram I have added in conjunction with my current setup.

Why is there a need to give me flak?

freecableguy
06-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Why is there a need to give me flak?

Because everything you have asked is available by searching....

Lestat
06-16-2006, 07:45 AM
there is no need to give him any flak..
FCG that was a nuaghty answer you gave him.

his answer is not available buy searching i mean seriously how the hell do you search for something like that ?

dont worry bout it burner, people around here cna be brutal when its not needed.

just get yourself a new board that supports conroe and you'll be good.
that 510 is enough power. hard drives dont pull jack for power compared to other devices.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Because everything you have asked is available by searching....

Wait, you're saying I can go out and find a thread that uses the exact components I am using now and find my answer?

I don't think so. Which is why I have come here. I understand that my PSU can support the mobo, and Conroe. But I have added in my variables as well and I am asking whether or not I have enough power to support a Conroe system based on my variables. I cannot find another thread anywhere that has specs even close to mine. I am not being a wise-a$$ nor am I being a lazy-a$$ about this. I just cannot find a clear cut answer which is why I have come to this forum.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 07:51 AM
there is no need to give him any flak..
FCG that was a nuaghty answer you gave him.

his answer is not available buy searching i mean seriously how the hell do you search for something like that ?

dont worry bout it burner, people around here cna be brutal when its not needed.

just get yourself a new board that supports conroe and you'll be good.
that 510 is enough power. hard drives dont pull jack for power compared to other devices.

Thank you.

Iconyu
06-16-2006, 08:07 AM
The next set of Video cards might need a higher rated PSU but if you're sticking with card for a while you should be fine with Conroe. Unlike some other PSU's PCP&C give their 24 hour numbers rather than peak. A conroe system will use less draw than your current set up.

freecableguy
06-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Wait, you're saying I can go out and find a thread that uses the exact components I am using now and find my answer?

I don't think so. Which is why I have come here. I understand that my PSU can support the mobo, and Conroe. But I have added in my variables as well and I am asking whether or not I have enough power to support a Conroe system based on my variables. I cannot find another thread anywhere that has specs even close to mine. I am not being a wise-a$$ nor am I being a lazy-a$$ about this. I just cannot find a clear cut answer which is why I have come to this forum.

I thought this was pretty clear cut:

yep. you'll be fine.

freecableguy
06-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Anyway, to respond more "reasonably" though. You're correct, you're not going to find a thread in which someone says i have x, y, and z...can I run Conroe? where x, y and z exactly matches your specs. This is where you need to do a little thinking and infer some answers for yourself (especially when you ask and get the answer flat out from me in post #3 of this thread). The search button is for just that....searching. Notice how it's not labeled "OMFG, I can't wait another second, get me the EXACT answer I am looking for in 0.343 seconds."

Sorry if I came across hostile to you. This was not intended. You asked a question, I gave you an answer. You asked another question and I answered that too. I think you took it the wrong way....

So, with that being said, welcome to XS.

-FCG

P.S. search is your friend.

Vric
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
The next set of Video cards might need a higher rated PSU but if you're sticking with card for a while you should be fine with Conroe. Unlike some other PSU's PCP&C give their 24 hour numbers rather than peak. A conroe system will use less draw than your current set up.

I have read an article about that too. New GFX should ask 130W to 300W each. Most of the PSU maker are working on PSU "addon" that would fit in a 5ΒΌ bay and add 300W for your computer, just for the video card.

Simply insane. The ATI and Nvidia interviews are scary..

JPeitzman
06-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes and yes...your PSU will be fine, the PC P&C 510watt is very powerful and rated different than most PSU's. It is tested all the way up to 60C and then branded at 510watt, this means that when it is running cooler it will be putting out something in the 600watt range, maybe a little more. The testing for these supplies is very tough and that is why they are some of the best one the planet.

As for the future, that is my other yes, mostly @Vric. This is something to keep in mind, GFX cards will draw a ton of power in the very near future. I don't know for sure about G80 based cards, but ATI R600 based cards will be close to the 300W mark. The R600 looks like it might be a monster, but monsters can be very hungry.

snowwie
06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I think that the day ANY personal computer will require more power than a PCP&C 510w can provide is still pretty far off. even a gaming PC with the latest graphics accelerator.

Dr.Frankenstein
06-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Do I have enough juice to run Conroe/Conroe MoBo when they're avaiable?

You do, but go here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and you can get an idea of how much your rig is really drawing.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Anyway, to respond more "reasonably" though. You're correct, you're not going to find a thread in which someone says i have x, y, and z...can I run Conroe? where x, y and z exactly matches your specs. This is where you need to do a little thinking and infer some answers for yourself (especially when you ask and get the answer flat out from me in post #3 of this thread). The search button is for just that....searching. Notice how it's not labeled "OMFG, I can't wait another second, get me the EXACT answer I am looking for in 0.343 seconds."

Sorry if I came across hostile to you. This was not intended. You asked a question, I gave you an answer. You asked another question and I answered that too. I think you took it the wrong way....

So, with that being said, welcome to XS.

-FCG

P.S. search is your friend.

I didn't take it as hostile, I just don't want you to think that because of my low post count that I am some newbie to computers or forums. I have built many machines in my lifetime, but when I know something is "out of my knowledge range" I will turn to those more knowledgable (FCG, Fugger, etc). Although I do know much about computer components, when it comes to wattage output vs load capacity per componant, I am dumb. I have been following your Conroe thread since you started them and I appreciate the thoroughness of your experiences with it. I understand I won't find threads with my exact specs, but I did do searches elsewhere before posting here.

I appreciate you taking the time out to put my apprehensions to rest.

Burner27
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
You do, but go here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and you can get an idea of how much your rig is really drawing.

Great link. Thanks.

According to that calculator @ 100% CPU usuage @ 100% PSU load I would need a 561w PSU. I think I am covered.

savantu
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
The only thing you'll change is the CPU as the mobos burn the same power.

Your current CPU has a TDP of 130 and the highest Conroe , XE is 75w while normal is 65w TDP.
Is it clear now ?

Burner27
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
The only thing you'll change is the CPU as the mobos burn the same power.

Your current CPU has a TDP of 130 and the highest Conroe , XE is 75w while normal is 65w TDP.
Is it clear now ?

Very

couppi
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Hard drives use like 10-15 watts a piece, so you're fine.

Pete
06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
I' have same PSU, it'll work even electricuting the misis hamster at same time

Answers on a post card (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/search.php)

pcoffman
06-17-2006, 02:25 PM
I think that the day ANY personal computer will require more power than a PCP&C 510w can provide is still pretty far off. even a gaming PC with the latest graphics accelerator.It may be the day that DirectX 10 hardware arrives.

Here's a link (http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770) to a page that talks about 130-300W graphics cards. However, we may be able to get power supply modules at that time that fit in a drive bay to make up the difference in power.