PDA

View Full Version : gaming: raptor 74 16MB or sata II

menko2
06-16-2006, 04:52 AM
hi.

i have a hitachi 250Gb deskstar serial sata 2 and i play a lot of games.

i´m going to buy a new hard drive just for gaming.

is it better for games (oblivion) to get a sata raptor 16MB or sata 2 hard drive??

thank you!!!!

Vric
06-16-2006, 05:14 AM
difference between SATA and SATA2 is near to none. But you will see a difference between a normal drive and a Raptor.

nn_step
06-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Raptor

menko2
06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
ok. raptor!!!!

and now the next question.

i´m taking the one with 16MB cache. should i take the 74gb or the 150????

which one is fater???

menko2
06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
i´ll take the 74 if they have it. if not, the 150.

i have one quick and important question:

i´m going to keep the hitachi serial sata 2 like a secundary hard drive, but i don´t want to go for all the process of install the windows and all the programs again.
is it any way to copy the hard drive i have now into the new raptor and the make the raptor the main and bootable one????

menko2
06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
sorry, i was wrong about the hitachi. it´s an western caviar.

so i make again the question; it´s for gaming.

i have this already:

1- western caviar 250gb sata 2 16mb
2- Barracuda 7200.7 SATA I

so i have to decide if i should

a) get another western caviar 250gb sata 2 16mb and make a raid0
buy a western raptor 150gb 16mb and use it as 1ºst drive.

let me know your thoughts.

thank you

epion2985
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
difference between SATA and SATA2 is near to none. But you will see a difference between a normal drive and a Raptor.

Not really. In respect to the bandwidth yes its more then you need but the reason sata 3gb/s drives are often better is because they are newer and have very nice new features.

sorry, i was wrong about the hitachi. it´s an western caviar.

so i make again the question; it´s for gaming.

i have this already:

1- western caviar 250gb sata 2 16mb
2- Barracuda 7200.7 SATA I

so i have to decide if i should

a) get another western caviar 250gb sata 2 16mb and make a raid0
buy a western raptor 150gb 16mb and use it as 1ºst drive.

let me know your thoughts.

thank you

Raptor would be faster. You are not using your drives for anything that will show gains from raid0. Its all about application. For my games raid0 doesnt do much, single raptor is ussualy a better solution. But when I do 3d parametric modeling in solidworks and make a change in a part which effects that part in hundreds of assemblies, 2d blueprints, and other locations, where the change to the file, which often takes a huge amount of time to save because of the complexity and the files being all over the place, I see a huge impovement with raid0.

Like I said its all about application.

menko2
06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
that makes the things easier!!!!! thank you very much man.

now i just need to know how to pass my actual hard drive to the raptor and make the raptor the bootable one.

any help with that???? i have no clue (maybe norton ghost??)

thank you

epion2985
06-19-2006, 01:45 PM
that makes the things easier!!!!! thank you very much man.

now i just need to know how to pass my actual hard drive to the raptor and make the raptor the bootable one.

any help with that???? i have no clue (maybe norton ghost??)

thank you

Dont do that. A clean install is a godsend, enjoy the opportunity. Back up your data to another computer or an external drive and reinstall the os and apps. All the more reasons to do this if you are consearned with performance. I ussualy reinstall every 6 months, everything runs so smooth when fresh. I also keep my data on a sepperate array so that makes it very easy.

[XC] hipno650
06-19-2006, 02:42 PM
that 250gb western digital drive you have is very, very good i have one and its awsome! outperforms a 15000rpm sici in sandra 05! but the raptor is still better for gaming. fresh install is the only way to go. there mabye another way but the performance is catastrofic.

DAK1640
06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
For gaming, a Raptor can't be beat. Definitely a CLEAN install. Lot's of great advice already been given.