PDA

View Full Version : -E Premium 1400mhz FSB bug ? or CPU bug

Lestat
06-16-2006, 04:28 AM
ok well, seems that i took a leap of faith with this -e premium board and i do believe i got burned AGAIN by anther asus board.

once i hit around 1400mhz FSB the board/chip start puking out.

i have heard of people with similar issues but can not determine at this time if its a cpu issue or a mobo/chipset issue.

i have raised and lowered the voltages, the multiplier, the ram, the everything and it always yields the same results.. right at close to 1400mhz fSB the board just refuses to go any further without getting BSOD or some other reboot or something.

also, i have the power down bug too. once the FSB is up so high usually over 300 the system whenever i save in the bios and try to reboot, or if i reboot windows the system just shuts off, then about 3 seconds later it powers on.. like nothing happened.

both of those combined are just kickin my arse and making me hate asus more and more..

ive seen people talk about both issues, but have not seen a fix or anything.

ive tried 0501 and 0601 bios and nothing.

can anyone offer any educated thoughts or ideas.

vanovich
06-16-2006, 04:57 AM
funny enough ,thats where my board also began to act funny ? so im all ears .

Eastcoasthandle
06-16-2006, 05:14 AM
I have a 660 at 310 FSB and don't have that problem. Maybe it has something to do with the the heat of the CPU are you water cooling? I recall a time before water cooling that I would get a complete and utter Bios shut down at or near 300 FSB. When I reboot I would only get the x1900xtx bios and the computer would not post at all. Talk about take your breath away, at that time, I only had the motherboard for 2 weeks and just exchanged it for another MB which had a defective chipset. ZZF is not very friendly on returns as I had to go through Asus to get them to contact ZZF to take the board back.

When I started water cooling I was able to take it to where I am now. I am still cautious but all is well. I also put a 40mm fan on the northbridge HS and cranked it up to 1.65V. I am using a 14x multi (lower multi), I am not sure if that makes a difference to your OP or not.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/P5WD2-E%20Prem/310FSB.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/P5WD2-E%20Prem/WC_P5WD2_E_Prem.jpg

the 3.xxcpu volts is not correct. cpuz problem.

Lestat
06-16-2006, 05:52 AM
yeah dont you love cpu-z's cooky voltage reading

odly enough if you start another monitoring program like Asus PC Probe II first,, then cpu-z it reads the voltages fine.
that must be Asus locking their hardware so that only their program can read or alter it properly.

what rev are your boards guys.

in cpu-z mine shows as a 1.xx but i cant recall exactly what it is i think its like a 1.02 or something ...

and im water cooling and have a fan on the NB chipset which makes it run oober cool. compared to no cooling which makes it run hotter than hell.

Eastcoasthandle
06-16-2006, 06:00 AM
If you look on your board under the wording "P5WD2-E" it should read 1.02G. Look at the photo I posted as a reference.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/P5WD2-E%20Prem/EZ_PLUG1.jpg

Lestat
06-16-2006, 07:13 AM
ah thats right i forgot where it was located.

yeah ill look at lunch when i run home.

is there a rev thats known for this ? or is it hit and miss

along with the stupid 0.05+ voltage droop i got.
i had to do the pencil mod and it helped but i am limited to 1.45v max otherwise the sytem reboots like its too much voltage or something.

anways.. the pencil mod isnt the cause of my above mentioned issue, it was doing that prior to the ghetto mod.

keep the ideas and thoughts rolling guys.

Lestat
06-16-2006, 09:53 AM
1.02G is what i got

i can run 345 FSB which @ 1:1 is around 1380mhz that is about the max i can go

Eastcoasthandle
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
You might want to think about water cooling. I know it makes no sense but I did it and was able to proceed beyond 295 FSB.
I am only guessing that you are not water cooling because the symptoms appear the same as mine.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I love water cooling. *Hugs PA160*

^don.k's^
06-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I guess you have tried up to 1,65volts for the northbridge right ? Then, vmch mod is the only thing left... I guess you got a bad NB that refuses to do over 345fsb... My p5wd2-e didn't go over 350-360 without vmod... Thats "just" a crappy chipset :(

Regards! :toast:

Leeee
06-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Eastcoasthandle i have a 660 and a P5WD2-E rev 1.02g also, using bios 501

i get stuck at 310 mhz FSB also, i'm using the 14x multi
if i try to increase the FSB further it crashes and sometimes it will post but report my CPU at 0mhz, sometimes 2.7ghz, soemtimes 3.5ghz

any ideas anyone? so i am stuck with a max stable on 4.2ghz running 300FSB with hyper path on

with my P5ND2-SLi i managed 4.5ghz (witout the 14x multi) so i know my cpu can go a tad higher