PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir mounting below rads?

teko
06-16-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm wondering if a res below the radiators is a good idea? I'm going to mount 2*HE120.3 almost vertical on top of my case, and if i place the res below them, wouldn't it overflow with water before the system is completly filled?
My other option is to place a T-line just before the inlet to the first rad in the loop.

SMa
06-16-2006, 03:18 AM
can't you put the reservoir on top of your case when filling,
and when done just put it where you want

teko
06-16-2006, 03:21 AM
can't you put the reservoir on top of your case when filling,
and when done just put it where you want
It would require about an extra meter of hose for each outlet, so thats not an option :( The rads are going to be mounted 80mm over the top of the case..

SMa
06-16-2006, 03:27 AM
maybe you can do this:
disconnect the inlet of your res, put this hose in another res that is standing on a higher position
then fill (ofcourse the highest res will "grow" and the lowest will "shrink", just empty & refill them)
when the loop is full, keep your pump running, close the hose with your thumb (or anything else) and turn off the pump
then try to connect it to your res without spilling to much water, if you close the other end of the hose there should only leak a few drops of water unless there is still air in the loop (-> close this side also with your thumb, or something else, if you only have 2 hands you'll have to ask someone else to do this)
the air that has come in your loop because of connecting it should disappear after a while

I think this should work...

teko
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
I just got an idea, what if I installed a barp instead of the plug in the top of the res? Then I could just fit a hose that ends higher than the rads?

Nettwerk
06-16-2006, 07:45 AM
yes

aMp
06-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I just got an idea, what if I installed a barp instead of the plug in the top of the res? Then I could just fit a hose that ends higher than the rads?

Sure...but how would you remove the extension tube? If you don't remove it you might as well use a T-line, because that arrangement nullifies the bleeding advantages of a res.

teko
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
This might be an idea:
http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=10983
Or something like it in CU, mounted horisontaly?

JoeBar
06-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I have my res below the rad. Absolutely no prob when filling.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2463/dsc001840ku.th.jpg (http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc001840ku.jpg)

ReD.SkY
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
plus, my res is the second lowest item in my loop

teko
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
@ JoeBar Then it must be possible :D

Scarlet Infidel
06-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Im a little confused, What happens to the air in your loops? Do you bleed it out near the top then seel the system up? If you go to fill up the reservoir do you need to take it higher than the radiator?

JoeBar
06-16-2006, 02:42 PM
A little tapping @ the rad, small case movements and a powerfull pump do it... ;)

Scarlet Infidel
06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Fair enough, good to know.

teko
06-17-2006, 06:48 AM
The case has a loaded weight of about 50 kg, so it's a bit hard to move ;) I'm using an Iwaki, so it should have the power.. I'll try it when I get to the part of mounting :)

CedricFP
06-17-2006, 06:43 PM
My res is lower than the rad and CPU block... bleeds fine and fills fine.

Weapon
06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
you are gonna end up with at least some air in your rad and lower performance from it either tomorrow or 2 weeks down the line. res/air bleeder should be above the rad if at all possible.

ReD.SkY
06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
if you cant bleed it, just flip case upside down... np then

aussie_guy00000
06-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Of course you can put your res below the radiator. The only place that the res position is important is in relation to the pump (the pump can't be too high above the res other wise it'll work too hard to suck from the res). The only thing you have to worry about if you have the res below a lot of system components is that the inlet and outlet of the res are below the static water line of the res. Other wise when the system is turned off, air is able to enter the loop again and the water higher then the res will drain back to the res, well until the inlet/outlet is immersed again any way. As for air being trapped in the radiator when filling the system, as long as your pump is sucking only water (no air), the water flow should circulate any remaining air in the system and it will get trapped in the res, that's what res's are good for, this process might take a min or 2, but as long as you've got enough water in the res to fill the whole loop, you'll get all of the air out. :toast:

Weapon
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
*cough* slap it on a $1000 thermo and try it both ways - if you like regular (i.e. bi-weekly) maintenance to get the most from your cooling system put it wherever ya want. If you want the best performance with the least amount case acrobatics, put your bleed-out over the rad.

teko
06-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I think i'm going to go for the version with a res, and see if it works, if it doesn't work i'll mount a barb on it, and a hose..