PDA

View Full Version : Y instead of T

introvert
06-15-2006, 02:05 PM
on a loop im putting together due to tightness of space i decided to use a Y instead a T before my pump. this shouldnt be an issue should it? Im using 1/2" for the line itself then 1/2" to connect the Y to the pump. I didnt see any problems with this but this is only my second loop.

Fuzzy_3D
06-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Just keep in mind, whenever you make water change direction, you increase resistance in the loop. A T would work better, but if you can't fit it, then you have no choice. But again, using a Y inplace of a T impedes the overall flow.

introvert
06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
how am i making it change direction?

-----Y to fillport -----\
____________________\_________to pump -----to rad-----
____________________/
-----from blocks------/

my flows stays circular, unless im missing something.

Fuzzy_3D
06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Whenever there is a bend in the loop, thats considered a change of direction. The tighter the bend, the more restriction you get.

It is good however that you are using the straightes part of the Y for the active loop, and I doubt that its increasing your temps by a measureable amount.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
I doubt that it would have much of an effect at all. Most likely not measureable, however.

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-15-2006, 06:17 PM
if there was going to be a bend there anyways, theres absolutely no reason not to use a Y.

billb
06-15-2006, 06:27 PM
how am i making it change direction?
This would be a better setup as any air would tend to go up the fillport line.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I guess it would make it harder to bleed having it the other way, but having it that way would probably have an effect on flow.

Fuzzy_3D
06-15-2006, 10:50 PM
This would be a better setup as any air would tend to go up the fillport line.

That does sound like a good idea, but I can see alot of potential turbulance when half the stream is forced up the fillport line and displaces the still water.

billb
06-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I guess it would make it harder to bleed having it the other way, but having it that way would probably have an effect on flow.As stated previously, overall, any flow resistance will be miniscule, whether it's this way or the other. If you're super critical about flow rstriction just stretch your tubing over a 3/4" wye. and you'll have less flow resistance than the equivalent length of a straight piece of the tubing you use.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
As stated previously, overall, any flow resistance will be miniscule, whether it's this way or the other. If you're super critical about flow rstriction just stretch your tubing over a 3/4" wye. and you'll have less flow resistance than the equivalent length of a straight piece of the tubing you use.

The effect on flow I'm thinking about is when the water hits the Y and some of it tries to go up the fill line.

billb
06-19-2006, 10:07 AM
The effect on flow I'm thinking about is when the water hits the Y and some of it tries to go up the fill line.What part of "it won't be a measurable diference" is puzzling to you?
There are sites where you can do online flow calculations.

Here's a free deno calculator:
http://www.pipeflow.co.uk/public/control.php?_path=/497/499/514