PDA

View Full Version : preping pa120.2

bigKr33
06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
How long did it take to prep yours? The first day i did about 3-4 of distilled water, I would fill it half way and just shack the crap out of it for 30 secs, repeated that 2-3 more times till i finally filled it up with distilled vinegar w/5% acidic and had it sit for 20hrs.

Then i did like 5 passes of shacking and flushing the rad with distilled water. Filled up again with vinegar and had it sit for 20hrs.

Then i did another 5 passes of shacking and flushing with distilled water. Filled it up with vinegar had it sit for 4 hrs.

Flushed it out with 6 passes of distilled water. Filled it back up with vinegar and had it sit for 15hrs. And as of right now i'm doing my passes with distilled water.

And still the radiator still has these black looking particles coming out of it. I'm not sure if its actually coming out of the rad, or if its just the paint on the threads for the fittings. Because i've notice that everytime after i flush the rad, theres less paint showing on the threads and more brass color.

I just wanted to know if you guys were having the same problem when you were preping.

Okda
06-15-2006, 09:55 AM
why nto do the shaing with vnegar and nto distilled water

bigKr33
06-15-2006, 09:56 AM
don't mean to be rude, but i have no idea what you just typed

Weee
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
he said why not do the shaking with vinegar and not distilled water?

bigKr33
06-15-2006, 10:13 AM
oic, thanks. I guess i'll try that

Okda
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
LOL

sorry for that :)

bigKr33
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
no problem ;)

ReD.SkY
06-15-2006, 07:26 PM
why nto do the shaing with vnegar and nto distilled water

That sig quote would go so good with nn_step's "dont do smack"

Okda
06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
LOL

i am sure i wasn't drunk when i wrote that

bigKr33
06-16-2006, 07:25 PM
How long does it usually take you guys to clean your radiator out? Mine still has those black particles coming out:hm:. I'm on day 4 now.

Also does it really matter what order i have my loop? I'm using a storm which is a pretty retrictive block from what i hear and a swiftech mcw60 (going to sell maze4 gpu block), and a thermochill pa120.2.

My flow plan was to have it go from pump>rad>cpu>gpu>pump. This setup for my case would be more logical because tubing would be a much cleaner setup, and a more logical layout, but would it affect temps?

And another question. What could i use to clean the white resedue on my radiator fins?

Sorry for all the questions, but help a brotha out.

dnottis
06-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I just flushed a dirty GT240 with half a gallon of distilled water to get it clean. I guess it depends on the rad. Flush till clear would be a safe bet.

bigKr33
06-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Okay something new just happened. Two days ago when i made my last reply, i said those black were coming out, well that night 3:15am to be exact i manage to completely flush them all out. And since everything elso about the radiator was clean i concluded that it was finished. Aparently i was wrong, just for the hell of it, i decided to mock my rad up to see how it would look in my case. It fits fine, but i heard some left over distilled water sloshing around so i figured "what the hell lets open it up". A whole **** load of these white particles came out that glimer when sunlight passes through.

I was pretty pissed when i saw this. I spent hrs a day cleaning this rad, thought it was finished and this happens. I don't know what these particles are and i've done about 4 passes so far of just poring and draining distilled water and it just keeps coming. Does anyone have any idea of what these particles are? When i first started cleaning the rad when i received it up until i got done cleaning it i never saw any of these particles. When i first poured the left over water today, it had a hint of vinegar smell in the water, but after that it was odorless. Do you think maybe when i thought i was cleaning the rad., that i didn't completely get all the vinegar out, and it started to possibly eat its way through the rad?

I have know idea what is going on, and i'll continue cleaning the rad i guess till i can figure it out.

ReD.SkY
06-18-2006, 05:59 PM
i dont think that copper is edible by vinegar....

bigKr33
06-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Well i was thinking about it earlier and well i think its vinegar that sits for awhile, in this case a couple of days. I noticed before when i had the vinegar sit over night, and then the next day when i flushed it then cleaned with distilled water, that i would get the same crap, but only a small margin. So i guess the best thing to do, is to get as much of the old vinegar out that i can possibly get out before installation.

Just a thought, but who knows:stick:

MaxxxRacer
06-18-2006, 06:30 PM
bigKr33, I get the same thing after cleaning the rad.. its POSSIBLE that it is the tin that the vinegar is eating, but its not too likely that it eats it in such way that it flakes like that..

I found that the flakes are just annoying and dont hurt the system.. if u want to get rid of them i suggest you run your radiator in a loop with just it, a pump (obviously) and a filter. The filter will pick up all of those particles. Let it run for 1 or 2 days.. by the end of that time it should be free of those nasty particles.

Viktor
06-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I have the same problem as bigKr33 with my black ice xtreme 2, I've spent two days flushing with distilled water, vinegar and so forth and when I look at the water its still small white particles in it. I don't want those dim-tubes AGAIN ( happened to me twice before ) so I want to make shure everything is perfect beforce I assemble it yet again.

ReD.SkY
06-18-2006, 08:31 PM
ive redone my loop 3 times... this time i flushed with alot of hot tapwater (faucet) and then just let it dry out

bigKr33
06-18-2006, 08:55 PM
The ultimate question is however, are these particles that maxxxRacer is talking about a problem in a water loop? In all honesty if they don't do anything, then i won't worry about it. I've spent a total of probably 12-15hrs over the course of 5 days cleaning this rad its very tideous and time consuming. This is the only problem thats holding me back from continuing my first water cooled system, and in all honesty i just want to get it over with.

bigKr33
06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey maxxxracer, i was browsing over your water loop testing guide and that filter that you recommend from mcmaster is just what i need. It uses mpt 3/8 fittings, but i need it to support 1/2in tubing. I'm having trouble trying to find an adapter for a 3/8 male fitting that uses a 1/2 barb for my 1/2 tygon tubing, can you help me out?

If not i guess i could just buy some cheap 3/8 tubing just for the cleaning process and just run that pump>filter>rad>pump procedure for 2 days. Either way it has to be done.

bigKr33
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Okay i finally got my filtration loop setup pump>rad>filter>pump. I'm confused though because now i have the loop to the point to where its almost full, but it got to a point that i know its not full but wouldn't continue to fill. So i tried pressing that little red button in on top of the filter (the filter from maxxxracers leak test guide) to see if anything would happen, and water slowly started coming out of the top of the filter as i hold it in.

I don't know if thats a good sign or a bad one, but it doesn't seem to do me any good. Am i doing anything wrong? I desperately need help, i've been working on this water cooling project for over a month and i just want to get it done, but i can't until this rad is fully cleaned.

ReD.SkY
06-21-2006, 08:01 PM
*wakes up from suicudal deppresion*

yay XS is alive!!!!!!

Trice
06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
I have some white crap in my rad as well, and it starts to stain my loop so I just bought a new one lol

Reinvented
06-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Wtf? Are you kidding me? Geeze, how about you buy me some new watercooling stuff then.