PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn 975X + ICH8 - any others?

philter
06-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I notice Foxconn are releasing a 975X + ICH8 mobo, is this the only one or are there others in the pipeline?
You'd think Intel would release a chipset with the updated memory controller ect. from the 965 together with full PCIe lanes of the 975x a 985 maybe??

mesyn191
06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
That'll probably be in Bad Axe rev. 305, but until then there really isn't anything wrong with ICH7.

Actually I'd probably prefer it over ICH8 as it doesn't have support for LaGrande Tech (aka TPM) so they can't enforce DRM through the hardware, or at least they can't enforce it properly.

Other stuff like 6 vs. 4 SATA, 10 vs 8 USB ports w/ improved USB bandwidth, and integrated HD audio are nice but hardly show stoppers that'd make me buy a ICH8 board over a ICH7 board, price would have a bigger impact on me.

If you're dead set on ICH8 w/ 975X NB from another OEM then just wait, there'll be more of em' within the next couple of months though I think ICH8 will be short lived. It seems that ICH9 will follow soon after it in Q2 2007, which will be a die shrink (less power hungry) and more USB ports + everything else ICH8 has.

Thorburn
06-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Actually I'd probably prefer it over ICH8 as it doesn't have support for LaGrande Tech (aka TPM) so they can't enforce DRM through the hardware, or at least they can't enforce it properly.

D955XBK and D975XBX both have the option of a Trusted Platform Module and if you buy one it'll almost certainly have it.
But you can disable it in the BIOS and to utilise it you have to install drivers for it, hardly forcing DRM on you.

Stelios
06-14-2006, 03:36 PM
ICH7R & ICH8R are the southbridge of the chipset . They are the I/O controller. Not memory . So , in terms of memory performance i think that it's exactly the same .

mesyn191
06-14-2006, 05:28 PM
D955XBK and D975XBX both have the option of a Trusted Platform Module and if you buy one it'll almost certainly have it.
But you can disable it in the BIOS and to utilise it you have to install drivers for it, hardly forcing DRM on you.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up.

Didn't think ICH7 had it, good that you can disable it in the BIOS but if they know its there than companies may force you to use it if you want to access thier websites/use thier programs.

Anemone
06-14-2006, 05:57 PM
975 + ICH8 would be a probably taker for me. Again, want side by side performance first to put it all down in numbers :)