PDA

View Full Version : Whilte Vinegar in Loop to clean rad and stained tubing?

Eastcoasthandle
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Have you every tried to:
-add distiiled white vinegar in your loop (no more then 1/4 cup for every gallon of water or 2-3 tablespoons for most loops)
-turn your pump on and let it run (with the computer off because it will get hot) for about 10mins to 1 hour. Depending on how bad your stains are and how dirty your rad is
-drain
-flush with water
-refill with distilled water
-bleed
-turn computer back on

Here is what the tubing looked like new
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/GT360/IMG_1209.jpg

Here is what it looked like when after a few days of the new rad. See it turning green. Well it stained my tubing and it wouldn't come out.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/GT360/S_FLEX.jpg

Here is what it looks like now after added some distilled white vinegar with and a 2 tablespoons of WW to keep algae growth, etc to a min...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/GT360/IMG_1218.jpg

Distilled white vinegar
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/GT360/IMG_1213.jpg

The reason why I did this was I already clean my rad out with the vinegar for nearly 2 days striaght when I got it. When I thought all was well I installed it setup my loop and, all was well for a few days then BAM!! My tube starts to turn green and I am trying to figure out what's going on. I have an all copper rad with copper WBs and plaster internal pump. So I drain it thinking that its water and behold, the tube is stained green.

Trice
06-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I just soak mine, but I am still getting crap in my Rad, which I think is from a previous problem I had with some alum corrosion. Makes me sad. :(

Shaotai
06-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I've got a ton of white build up on my tubes... :(
I might try using distilled vinegar to see if that helps clean it out... I might have to pull my storm apart to clear the clogs too...

Okda
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
have u followed the steps listed in teh sticky to clean ur rad before installing ur system

also cleaning ur water blocks ?

Eastcoasthandle
06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I let the pump do the work for me. I wish I hadn't added the WW just so I could take a pic of it to show you how clean the tubing is now. As far as the Rad goes, I am not 100% sure how much more clean it is now vs. 3 hours ago (I feel asleep) but it doesn't hurt. Remember I added a few tablespoons to the distilled water in the loop already. I didn't dump the vinegar in the loop. Also note, do not turn your computer on. I felt the tubing after 2 hours and it was hot to the touch.

Eastcoasthandle
06-14-2006, 10:01 AM
have u followed the steps listed in teh sticky to clean ur rad before installing ur system

also cleaning ur water blocks ?

Yes, I did and applied vinegar in the rad, dumping it every 4 hours for 24-36 hours...I forget the exact time frame. It got to the point were the vinegar turned from dark blue to light blue and finally turned clear from what I could tell. I install the rad all is fine for the next few day and BAM!! MY tube starts turning green.

Deathknight
06-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I have only cleaned with vinegar in the radiator itself, not in the whole loop. I think the purpose of cleaning the rad with the vinegar is so that the dirty rad does not contaminate the loop.

EDIT: Misunderstood the original post. I thought your tubing became stained after running the loop with a new rad that you were trying to clean. Nevermind! :)

Trice
06-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I should post some pics of my before and after lol. I put zerex in and it went from clear tubes to clouded up PINK tubes. Looked so gross.

Ominous Gamer
06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
I should post some pics of my before and after lol. I put zerex in and it went from clear tubes to clouded up PINK tubes. Looked so gross.

I did the same, when the whitewater was the "new" block. The color goes away over time. Only took a few days for me, the foaming it created when I first added it almost made me :banana::banana::banana::banana: my pants.

[XC] DragonOrta
06-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I'd imagine that the reason that the tubes were warm was because you probably didn't have the fans on the radiator running. When I test pumps, I usually wash out a milk jug, fill it with water, and have tubing going from the pump to the jug. The pump usually heats up the water pretty well.

Eastcoasthandle
06-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I travel on a highway next to a company that makes vinegar. I have used that highway for years and to this day have yet gotten over the smell of vinegar that permeates the air. Roll your windows up or down it doesn't matter. It's so strong that if you had to walk through the area would make you gag.