PDA

View Full Version : D975xbx+6700: Eist/cpu-z?

boostedevo
06-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I am seeing a lot of screenies with actual Conroe clocks in CPU-Z, but CPU-Z refuses to show anything except min. multi x FSB for me sitting on the desktop. I have EIST disabled in BIOS and multi set to 10x. (6700/BIOS 908).

At first I thought it was just CPU-Z showing it, but it acts just like EIST/C1E. If I leave CPU-Z open, it starts at 1.600 and goes to 2.666GHz as soon as a bench starts and drops back to 1.600GHz as soon as the bench stops. Can anyone say if this is just a CPU-Z thing (and if so, how is everyone else screening actual clocks) or if it's EIST not it's not really being disabled in BIOS, how the hell do you turn it off for good??

Vapor
06-13-2006, 10:09 PM
You can run Rosetta...that'll keep EIST outta the picture for sure :)

(or any benchmark, tbh)

As for how to permanently disable it....I don't think that's been found yet.

cirthix
06-13-2006, 10:12 PM
systool or rmclock should work

also try setting power configs to max performance

boostedevo
06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Hehe, yes, benches definitely turn it off ;) I'll keep digging around, check out systool and maybe take a closer look at the ITK. Thanks for the replies.

If anyone can shed any more light on this, I'd appreciate it!

sierra_bound
06-13-2006, 11:18 PM
My understanding is that all Conroes support EIST. But if it were enabled on your system, you'd probably see the multiplier drop down to 6 under no-load conditions. An example can be found here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100998).

Another way to tell if SpeedStep is enabled is by looking at the General tab for System Properties. If it's showing two CPU speeds that are different, then EIST is probably on.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/203863.htm

I've notice that some versions of CPU-Z have trouble reading correct VCore on 65nm Intel chips. Readings on Yonah chips were sometimes double the actual voltage.

G H Z
06-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Here's my solution, test your reaction time by hitting Print Screen as soon as the bench is done :D

But, I'm wondering if the idle clocks going into a bench hurt initial loop times in PI or similar.

boostedevo
06-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Yeah, Gen tab shows two different clocks. I knew it was acting like EIST. Now the question is, why is it still on if I have it disabled in BIOS?

GHZ, it seems to come to full clocks pretty quick, but it's gotta be affecting it a least to some degree. It definitely does on Prescotts, but they're slow enough to tell, LOL.

mike
06-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Here's my solution, test your reaction time by hitting Print Screen as soon as the bench is done :D

But, I'm wondering if the idle clocks going into a bench hurt initial loop times in PI or similar.

On the Yonah it for sure had an impact with the intital loop when EIST was enabled

G H Z
06-15-2006, 09:44 AM
OK so does anyone know how to actually disable it? Even when it's disabled in BIOS it's still switching to 6 multi when idle in Windows.

kiwi
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Use newest Crystal CPUID

Turning on/off EIST in bios does not work on this board

Gautam
06-15-2006, 10:33 AM
It means your guys' procs are broken and need to be sent to me ASAP for repair. :D

G H Z
06-15-2006, 10:55 AM
:lol:

It sure is fast for being broken :D