PDA

View Full Version : installing storm rev.2

bigKr33
06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Right now as i speak, i'm installing the block on my opty 165. I'm confused though, because i don't have an ihs on my cpu anymore so i don't know how i would install it properly. Ok course i have the hardware, but isn't the mounting setup for cpu's with ihs's?

Please help. I'm already ditching my maze 4 gpu block because the stupid thing doesn't clear the ram sink:mad: and the ram sinks keep falling off which is :bs:. So the last thing i would want is a cpu block that i can't use.

nop
06-13-2006, 08:14 PM
you can install the block the same way for IHS. I've Storm rev2 on top of my naked opty without any problem. Just don't screw dowm too tight,i'd crack the core.

more infor.here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97731)

Nanometer
06-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I've heard people saying tighten them down pretty tight, as long as they are even. But don't take my word for it..

Fresh Daemon
06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
No, you need to clamp that block down hard! If you want to be safe use 1/32" neoprene rubber pads (like on the Athlon XP) to avoid crushing. If you don't have any, then tighten until the bolts poke through under the motherboard and use a straightedge to make sure they're even. Then start tightening one side at a time, a half or even quarter turn at a time, until there's high pressure on the chip. Careful you don't warp the mobo. This will ensure even pressure and a safe core.

With my 6002, I had to discard the top part of my mounting bracket on my naked chip, otherwise the block wouldn't make good contact.

bigKr33
06-13-2006, 09:30 PM
What i did was, i followed the instructions supplied by swiftech, but minus the HS bracket and the white spacers. I had my board installed when i mounted the water block, but i can remove it anyway just to check if its level or not.

Smalltimer
06-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Since the sping/retainers on the waterblock are very similar it makes it possible to count the turns and keep the pressure even between the fasterners when tightening the waterblock down. If do not make more more than 1/2 a turn under pressure you should not have any problems maintaining an even load on the water block.

If you remove your IHS you can remove the fastener spacers however you should know that they spacers exceed the thickness of the IHS and that you will apply more pressure than normal under the confitions.

It's to bad no one has made some sort of pressure indicator on the fasteners so people can dial in a safe amount on a naked core.

bigKr33
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
When i tightened the block down, the springs were almost fully compressed. I thing the chip should be fine, well atleast i would hope so.

Overclocker16
06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I tightened it until you couldn't turn the screw (probably all the way I am assuming). No problem here. Read somewhere around here that's it's fine on the Rev 2 to tighten all the way without IHS.

Nanometer
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Using with a IHS I tightened them down till the spring was fully compressed. I have it very tight.

bigKr33
06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
overclocker16 & nanometer thank you very for replying in how you mounted your water blocks, its very reassuring. I'm hoping the computer will be done by june 22nd. I will try to post pics asap once finished.

And just a little question on the side, how long did it take you guys to prep your radiator? I'm already half way on day 2 and my rad is still full of those black particles. Other than that, the water is coming out almost clear.