PDA

View Full Version : Opteron 165 and Windows Vista X64

n91htmare
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
A bit of a weird problem and not sure what could be wrong.

My Opteron 165 is Prime Stable in Windows XP at 2900Mhz at 1.47V, I can run it all day without any hickups and passed 24hour prime as well.

Well, I installed windows Vista 64 Bit and now, I can't even run stable at 2800mhz at 1.47V... I have to bump the volts to 1.5 just to run SuperPi 1m.

What do you guys think it is? if Vista is gonna hack away at my CPU overclock then that is just ridiculous.

Poki
06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
From what i've noticed Vista uses alot of CPU cyles just sitting at the desktop and with the amount of ram it uses i would imagine it will shows errors alot quicker that "lite OS's" such as 2000/XP/2003 and Linux distros.
If this is true, alot of testers will probably see the same thing and comment no doubt.

Repoman
06-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Maybe the 64bit of your CPU isn't stable but the 32bit part is. I don't know anything about how that works, but I know I've heard it before

ugp
06-13-2006, 06:20 PM
From what I have seen and heard Vista is a big pile of poop!

Poki
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
From what I have seen and heard Vista is a big pile of poop!
That was my first impression but after going through it getting everything set to my liking it isn't that bad overall for 6 months before release.
It certainly is a big fat slob after initial install but with some work it can run smoothly even with 1GB of ram. SuperPi 1M is .5sec slower for me but by release it might improve. I really need to test 32m to really form an opinion of it's memory managment though. (hope it's as good as 2003 server)

mesyn191
06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Why switch to Vista? Did winXP stop working all the sudden for you?

The difference from win98/Me to win2k/winXP was huge when it came to things like stability and such so I could understand why people made that switch quickly, but Vista doesn't really offer any performance/stability improvements while adding crap like DRM... Seems like alot of people are interested in it just cuz its new but thats about the worst possible reason you could use to want to switch to another OS.

ValkyrieLenneth
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Using vista now is just for fun, i guess no one uses Vista for working and gaming these days

ugp
06-13-2006, 07:42 PM
The interface for Vista is cool...really that is the only thing that made me install it to begin with. But yes I understand it is Beta and things might improve by the times its release. But it is not like I will "buy" a copy of it anyway. Just like I said I wouldn't "buy" a copy of XP :)

Poki
06-13-2006, 07:43 PM

The difference from win98/Me to win2k/winXP was huge when it came to things like stability and such so I could understand why people made that switch quickly, but Vista doesn't really offer any performance/stability improvements while adding crap like DRM... Seems like alot of people are interested in it just cuz its new but thats about the worst possible reason you could use to want to switch to another OS.
I just bench with Bill's products and have one box running XP Pro 24/7.
The rest of my boxes are just for surfing/play and gaming. I'de have to say my favorite operating systems right now are SUSE 10.1 and DSL-N for browsing/mail/media. Just pick the right tool for the job as they say :toast:

dickeywang
06-14-2006, 12:26 PM

I just tried Vista using Vmware. The OS itself eats 550MB+ RAM even I turned off all the fancy visual features,which makes me, for the first time, think that I may have to add another 2GB RAM.The sad thing is, there is no 2GB DDR1 sticks available, so I may have to run @2T.:(
I guess most of XP users will eventually switch to VISTA,especially for the gamers. The new DirectX10 will be Vista-only.