PDA

View Full Version : leak testing a 12v pump setup

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 08:01 AM
hello xs people (i used to be a procooler but the place seems quite dead lately :( )

i've been watercooling for quite some time now, owned several pumps included 1250/1048. i used to make a hole at the back of my case to get the power outlet for those pumps out of the case.

whenever i did some maintenance to the system i could get all my hardware out of the case, and fill/bleed all my WC components without the need for a motherboard or psu to be in the case.

so if now after all these years i'd put my trusty 1048 out of commission for this one
http://cooltechnica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQX-50Z-DC12&Category_Code=P#50ZPQ

so that i can finally start running some of the more restrictive blocks; i'd have to short my psu just to fill up my system? or am i overlooking something.

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm quite thankfull that we now have pumps specifically aimed at high restrictive loops; 4 years ago the top end was the 1250 ;-)

nikhsub1
06-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Yes. Get a paperclip bend it into a U shape and insert one end to a green wire and one end to a black wire. The PSU will fire up.

Eastcoasthandle
06-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Sounds to me (unless I am not understanding your correctly) you prefer to go back to AC? If this is true may I suggest Iwaki? The MD30's maybe something to your liking? If not the DC versions or RD30 require 24V (I think) someone correct me if I am wrong.

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 08:07 AM
aight, exactly what i thought.

and that's how all of you guys do that? no bad concequences for running the psu with practically no load?

thanks for the good info and fast reply nikhsub

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 08:11 AM
i've always used ac, now i'd have to go dc because most available wc pumps with high head are dc. i've always liked the iwaki specs, i got a big case; but still i like the small footprint of the aquaextreme pump. (and its no slouch 2x head compared to my 1048, and +100lph than the eheim)

Technical Specifications aquaextreme:

Nominal voltage
12 V DC

Nominal power
9 W

Motor type
Brushless, microprocessor controlled

Maximum head
3.2 M - 10.5 FT

Maximum discharge
700 L/HR - 185 GPH

Rotational speed
3000 RPM

Connection size
½" Barbed

Electrical connector
Molex 4 pin

Weight
1.4 Lb (650 gr)

Motor casing material
Aluminum

Insulation
E Class

Eastcoasthandle
06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
i've always used ac, now i'd have to go dc because most available wc pumps with high head are dc. i've always liked the iwaki specs, i got a big case; but still i like the small footprint of the aquaextreme pump. (and its no slouch 2x head compared to my 1048, and +100lph than the eheim)

Technical Specifications aquaextreme:

Nominal voltage
12 V DC

Nominal power
9 W

Motor type
Brushless, microprocessor controlled

Maximum head
3.2 M - 10.5 FT

Maximum discharge
700 L/HR - 185 GPH

Rotational speed
3000 RPM

Connection size
½" Barbed

Electrical connector
Molex 4 pin

Weight
1.4 Lb (650 gr)

Motor casing material
Aluminum

Insulation
E Class

I see what you mean now. The specs on that pump are nice keep us posted.

nikhsub1
06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
aight, exactly what i thought.

and that's how all of you guys do that? no bad concequences for running the psu with practically no load?

thanks for the good info and fast reply nikhsub
Yep that is how I do it. No consequences at all. You wont get shocked or anything either. If the paperclip comes out when the PSU is on, it will just simply shut off...

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 08:32 AM
i will, but i'll need alot of motivation to get my yeong yang project back on track. i should repaint the whole case (chipped some on a lanparty). i still need to install my sidewindow. but after 2 years, the modding microbe is starting to itch again.

work to do:
1) retire the maze2 for the mp-05
2) retire the pump for the one above
3) retire the ghetto gatorade res with a tline (the way i work to bleed and maintain the loop makes the res a burdon)
4) repaint the case
5) sidewindow

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
oh btw, i know it's only a guessing game, but if you guys observe this graph

http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/LiquidCooling/AQX-50Z/image14big.gif

and factor in that the 1048 generates a max 5ft head; nothing else but the change of wb (maze2 -> mcp05) would be different in my system. lets guess even with that wb i would generate lets say 4ft of head. i seem to be better off with swiftech's mcp 650. or am i cutting fluid dynamics corners here?

+50gph for the same price.

components are 2 dtek HC's and a cpu wb and the tubing you see in the pics.

ReD.SkY
06-13-2006, 12:28 PM
im betting you mean the waterblock to an MP-05 Pro (or LE?)

g.l.amour
06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
right you are redsky ;)

ok, reading for loads of hours now. luckily i now read systemcooling (lee garbutts) review of the storm compared to the overclockers.com one. my trusty old 1048 would still be able to perform well even with the storm.

i would like to go for the aquaextreme or swiftech mcp650 pump (because of their small size), but after roaming the net for hours, there have been several users to dislike the noise those pumps make. problem is noise is a very relative issue.

anyhow, i have a 1250 lying around doing nothing because it made too much of a hum (and the supposed whine the aquaextreme makes,... bweih)

it would be a shame to buy the mcp650 just to see that even at minimum rheostat setting it still makes a whine. over 4 yrs that would make it the third pump i buy after the 1048, to just fall back on the 1048.