PDA

View Full Version : Pentium M 760 Temperature?

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Hey guys,

I finally got my Pentium M 760 today and installed it right away on my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe together with the CT-479.

On top of that i have a Zalman FS-c77 Cooler, which took me quite a while to mount.
I do think i have it mounted properly now and i can still tighten the screws more if necessary.

The thing is, the Pentium M 760 idles @ 37 degrees celsius in windows.

Right now it is hot over here in my room, im in the attic and its almost 30 degrees celsius ambient.

Are these normal temperatures for the processor?

I can tighten the screws more if necessary but if this is normal, im not gonna risk crushing my core.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Movieman
06-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Those sound app right with that room temp. I have a PM 770 on a P4GD1 that idles at 38C and maxxes at 48C at 100% load. I have the zalman 7000 heatsink on it. These are with room temps in the 22-25 range..
Don't crank those screws down, just enough to be snug so that the heatsink doesn't move..That core is VERY fragile.
Good Luck..
Now think on bringing that puppy over to the Rosetta team..should do close to 800-900 points a day at 2500mhz!:D

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 04:13 AM
Actually i wanna try and get it up to 3 GHz. :P

But i was just checking first if the temperature was ok.

When i first booted the proc was 54 degrees celsius idle.

Then after tightening the screws 2 times it was 37.

I just did a Prim95 torture test (maximum heat) and its 47 degrees stressed now.

This looks ok, i just hope temperature will stay like this when i start OCing. :P

Movieman
06-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Actually i wanna try and get it up to 3 GHz. :P

But i was just checking first if the temperature was ok.

When i first booted the proc was 54 degrees celsius idle.

Then after tightening the screws 2 times it was 37.

I just did a Prim95 torture test (maximum heat) and its 47 degrees stressed now.

This looks ok, i just hope temperature will stay like this when i start OCing. :P
no, it will go up and fast..the #'s I quoted you are at 2587mhz..Without mods to the board I can't boot to windows above 2602mhz and not stable at that speed. Thats with good ram and a excellent Fortran 480w PSU.

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Oh i see...

Btw, i also used the foam that was underneath the stock cooler on the outlines of the processor to divide the pressure of my cooler heatsink.

I have seen ppl with a Petium M 740 that reached 2,8 Ghz on air btw.
So i was hoping i could reach 3 Ghz with this. :)

Someone else told me newer mobile procs will have newer fabrication tweaks and will OC better.
My packing date said March 3rd 2006, so that should be new enough. :)

We will see.... :p

Movieman
06-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Oh i see...

Btw, i also used the foam that was underneath the stock cooler on the outlines of the processor to divide the pressure of my cooler heatsink.

I have seen ppl with a Petium M 740 that reached 2,8 Ghz on air btw.
So i was hoping i could reach 3 Ghz with this. :)

Someone else told me newer mobile procs will have newer fabrication tweaks and will OC better.
My packing date said March 3rd 2006, so that should be new enough. :)

We will see.... :p
I thought the same thing. Saw guys getting 2600-2800 on the 730's and 740's..Figured my 770 would make 3000 but not without the MB and CT479 mods..yes, that white piece on the CT-479 stock heatsink, carefully take it off with a razor and use it on the bottom of the heatsink or on the cpu itself..helps spead out the heatsink weight and protect the core.
Good Luck with it, I hope you hit your 3000!;)
Read the threads( they are long but well worth your time) on the P4GD1 and the CT479..The work and research by Hipro5 on these is a must read.
Will save you lots of time and potential broken equipment..

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 04:27 AM
Ok thanks for your information.

I just noticed something funny though.

My BIOS keeps saying "New CPU Installed!"

Even after i load defaults and continue and then power off and power up m,y pc again it will still say this.

Is there any way to get rid of that?

Movieman
06-13-2006, 04:35 AM
Ok thanks for your information.

I just noticed something funny though.

My BIOS keeps saying "New CPU Installed!"

Even after i load defaults and continue and then power off and power up m,y pc again it will still say this.

Is there any way to get rid of that?
Mybe a trip into the bios and some adjustments, I didn't run into that issue. make sure you have the proper bios for the dothan, not all the bios's work with the mobile cpu's. On my P4GD1 and on a P4P800 SE before that, when the proper bios is installed you actually get a Intel logo with Pentium M in it during the post..

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Yes i also get the Pentium M logo on bootup.

My BIOs does support the CT-479. It just keeps giving me this message.

A reason could be that my Zalman FS-c77 is connected to my Coolermaster Aerogate 2 instead of the motherboard.

Because it also says CPU Fan error, but i can not actually disable it in the BIOS because it says [N/A].

I shall try and fix this first.

Movieman
06-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Yes i also get the Pentium M logo on bootup.

My BIOs does support the CT-479. It just keeps giving me this message.

A reason could be that my Zalman FS-c77 is connected to my Coolermaster Aerogate 2 instead of the motherboard.

Because it also says CPU Fan error, but i can not actually disable it in the BIOS because it says [N/A].

I shall try and fix this first.
I doubt it's due to where the fan is connected but it won'y hurt to try. I'd go through all the bios settings( you need to anyway to get it set the way you want it) and see if that gets rid of the message.
best of luck, time for coffee here!;)

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 04:45 AM
I hooked up a seperate cpu cooler, which enabled me to change the value to [Disabled].

For the rest i have everything set up properly now.
(Boot config, performance mode, raid disabled).

Everything, but the overclock options.

Though i still get the message: ' New CPU Installed! ' everytime i boot up.
(Except for the CPU Fan error message, thats gone now)

:confused:

cirthix
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I hooked up a seperate cpu cooler, which enabled me to change the value to [Disabled].

For the rest i have everything set up properly now.
(Boot config, performance mode, raid disabled).

Everything, but the overclock options.

Though i still get the message: ' New CPU Installed! ' everytime i boot up.
(Except for the CPU Fan error message, thats gone now)

:confused:

so i'm not the only one!

i'm trying to setup a p4p800-e deluxe dothan system for my brother and I keep getting this error. i'm going to try the p4p800se bios and try to get it to work without that annoying error.

3ghz is an unrealistic goal for a 760, there hasnt been a die revision for a long time now, chips havent changed in ocability. about temps, i wouldnt trust the onboard sensors, they are inaccurate. i've seen speedfan read into the 70c range while my thermocouple attached about 1mm from the core read 40c.

Da_maniaC
06-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Hmmm.

Well i found this beta BIOS for the P4P800-E deluxe ont he asus website.

Thing is... i cant get Afudos to flash.

Its: afudos /i p4p800~1.001 right?

Or am i using the commands wrong?

PS.:

I see in your specs you have a 730 @ 2700 MHz air cooled :O

What did you do? voltmod?

cirthix
06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Hmmm.

Well i found this beta BIOS for the P4P800-E deluxe ont he asus website.

Thing is... i cant get Afudos to flash.

Its: afudos /i p4p800~1.001 right?

Or am i using the commands wrong?

PS.:

I see in your specs you have a 730 @ 2700 MHz air cooled :O

What did you do? voltmod?

2.7 is pretty normal. modded adapter

flash with asus update, it's easier

also, the error persists with the latest beta bios. i'm going to try the p4p800se bios.

Da_maniaC
06-14-2006, 05:11 AM
2,7 is normal for a 730?

Hmm, everyone else here said it was going to be hard to get my 760 over 2,6 Ghz.

We'll see i guess. :)

--

PS.:

Latest BIOS?

The one i am tlaking about is a Beta v 1.010 Beta.

Is that the one you mean?

cirthix
06-14-2006, 06:42 AM
2,7 is normal for a 730?

Hmm, everyone else here said it was going to be hard to get my 760 over 2,6 Ghz.

We'll see i guess. :)

--

PS.:

Latest BIOS?

The one i am tlaking about is a Beta v 1.010 Beta.

Is that the one you mean?

yes, that doesnt solve the cpu not found error

Da_maniaC
06-14-2006, 08:20 AM
OK.

Is the p4p800SE bios you are experimenting with able to use the IEE1394 and the Promis RAID controller though?

If not, i will just report this bug to ASUS and hope they will fix it in an upcoming release.

(I noticed i also cant OC with this bug, because the cpu values keep getting reset at boot up :\).

cirthix
06-14-2006, 08:23 AM
OK.

Is the p4p800SE bios you are experimenting with able to use the IEE1394 and the Promis RAID controller though?

If not, i will just report this bug to ASUS and hope they will fix it in an upcoming release.

(I noticed i also cant OC with this bug, because the cpu values keep getting reset at boot up :\).

i havent flashed it yet

Da_maniaC
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Please let me know how it turns out. :)

AgonxOC
06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Look at my signature... I might be able to hit some more with the mods, but I have not done any and the Vmod I did didnt take care of the drop so it was as if none was done..... 2.7 Ghz is standard on most Dothans...

Alex

Da_maniaC
06-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Guys... for all p4p4800-E Deluxe owners:

I just got a mail from Asus and this is what it says:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ZYC. I would be assisting you today.

Sir, it is not a board or bios bug,

it is a board hardware error,

one IC was damaged near the I/O controller chip,

it should can be fixed by ASUS RMA Station.

you'd better contact board reseller or local asus service center or
motherboard dealer for help to get replaced/repaired.

Please visit our FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) for solutions to
common questions:
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Thank you for using and supporting ASUS products!

ZYC

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Innovative Solutions for a Limitless Tomorrow

Luckily its still under warranty so it could be a production error by them.

Just for the record though...

I work at a computer company as the head of the technical service department.

I know what im doing, so i can not imagine i damaged the chip myself.

Hopefully this mail will convince my supplier to return the motherboard.

--

Look at my signature... I might be able to hit some more with the mods, but I have not done any and the Vmod I did didnt take care of the drop so it was as if none was done..... 2.7 Ghz is standard on most Dothans...

Alex

Nice, cant wait to give it a go myself. :)

Will have to solve the motherboard first now though.

cirthix
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
my board is fresh from rma....

if it was "damaged" on all of our boards, this would be a manufacturing defect. the dothans wtih adapters use the same signal paths as other p4s because they have to conform to socket 478 rules, specs, and guidelines in order to work. we know the adapter is a pretty good piece of work as is the mobo(and the others in it's family, like the p4p800se are very similar in design and work perfectly), so this is a bios problem, or at least could be solved by a different bios.

i'm waiting for a couple of hard drives to show up before i flash the bios. i dont think sending back boards is going to do anything, they havent revised the board for a long time.

Da_maniaC
06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info dude!

I have to admit i was actually thinking among the same lines.

And the fact that you confirm and have a board back from rma (assuming the other one was returned with this complaint) that verifies it. :)

Lets just hope your BIOS works then! :D

cirthix
06-16-2006, 06:13 PM
p4p800se bios didnt work, same error, board is being sent to asus tomorrow

i got the board about 2 months ago from rma, only been on for about 2 hours with a p4

Da_maniaC
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Damn, sucks to hear.

Guess i will have to do the same.

Luckily i have a P4P800Se lying around at work, so i can use that in the meantime when i send my board RMA. :)

I really hope that will inded solve the issue.

Thanks for the research anyway. :)

Da_maniaC
06-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Which board do you guys reckon a better OCer?
(Ocer for Dothan that is...)

The P4P800-E Deluxe of the P4P800 SE ?

If the P4P800 SE is just as good i might just drop this one and exchange for a P4P800 SE instantly.

Movieman
06-18-2006, 06:42 AM
Which board do you guys reckon a better OCer?
(Ocer for Dothan that is...)

The P4P800-E Deluxe of the P4P800 SE ?

If the P4P800 SE is just as good i might just drop this one and exchange for a P4P800 SE instantly.
I have the P4P800 SE and the P4GD1 and I will tell you that the P4P800 SE is rosk stable, a much better board than the P4GD1..I havn't worked with the P4P800-E..I really like the P4P800 SE, used it before I got the P4GD1 for my Pen M 770..could get another 150mhz on the OC stable out of it over the P4GD1..the best board is the P4C800 but hard to find now..that was the top board for the dothan

Da_maniaC
06-18-2006, 08:55 AM
I have the P4P800 SE and the P4GD1 and I will tell you that the P4P800 SE is rosk stable, a much better board than the P4GD1..I havn't worked with the P4P800-E..I really like the P4P800 SE, used it before I got the P4GD1 for my Pen M 770..could get another 150mhz on the OC stable out of it over the P4GD1..the best board is the P4C800 but hard to find now..that was the top board for the dothan

P4C800's are still possible to get for me, but that would mean i can no longer use my windows XP installation which is over 4 years old and very important to me. :)

Therefore i865 ftw. :D

Da_maniaC
06-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Well well :D

http://members.home.nl/djthesp/Pentium_M_760_@_2400MHz.jpg

My BIOS might not be functioning well but that didnt stop me from tickling this little dothan. (Just couldnt wait :)).

I will be getting a new bios chip next week or so.

And i arranged a HS from a northwood.

Any tips for what thermal compound to use between the HS and the core? :)

christpunchers
07-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi there guys, I have a dothan 780 on the ct-479 board + p4c800e-d, right now im at 201x13 = 2600mhz my temps are 41C idle and up to 58C underload, running stock cooler that came with the ct-479 and as5,.... are my temps okay? Or did i do something wrong?