PDA

View Full Version : Buyin a Sportbike or "Crotch Rocket"..

Romain
06-12-2006, 10:37 PM
So im lookin for a Sportbike for myself cause im moving out and wont have the Suby this summer I'm looking for something under a 600CC bike (too fast, too expensive, not a good starter bike for me). The only thing i've found that looks good is a Kawasaki Ninja 500. I still have yet to take the MSF course and read up some more, just getting some things done before i purchase. Also, buy a helmet for the course or after? Any suggestions on bikes/helmets? Tips on driving? Anything! Thanks guys!

Rippthrough
06-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Helmets are pesonal preference, get one that is as light as you can afford, as they can get fatiguing on long journeys. All the manufacturers use slightly different internal shapes, so try out as many as you can to find which fits best.
I had a 600 Ninja, loved it. If it doesn't have a hugger then fit one, as the back shocks on the older kwacks tend to get hammered by crap off the road and don't last long otherwise.

Slayer2k3
06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Ninja. I'd go with anything from 95-98. They are wicked bikes, while not being too much, but will keep up with most things out there. Most of the people I know started with one of these, or a Honda. Forget what model though.

[XC] leviathan18
06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
R6 small easy to ride and nice bike

Romain
06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
R6 small easy to ride and nice bike

Joke?

Anyways, can anyone give me suggestions on Helmets. What brand should i look for? Full face? Clear or mirror visor? Links to pictures/sites/prices would be great.

Slayer2k3
06-14-2006, 08:05 AM
I would always go full-face on a rocket, a lid won't do crap if something happens, heh.

Get one that has interchangable/upgradeable visors, so you can swap out as you get used to it. Start with clear though, until you get used to looking around and knowing what to watch for. Mirrored or tinted aren't exactly good to start with.

Planet
06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Joke?

Anyways, can anyone give me suggestions on Helmets. What brand should i look for? Full face? Clear or mirror visor? Links to pictures/sites/prices would be great.

Being a racer there is the Saying you have a 10 dollar head you get a 10 dollar helmet. I know they are expensive but I would look into a Simpson helmet. They are made out of carbon fiber so they are very light and easy on the head. As far as the visior either get a clear to start out with or a amber. The amber will help during the day when there is glare and at night it will magnify the light to help out.

NWEng
06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
The bad thing about a 500 is that you'll probably find it underpowered after a while. There are two 500's that I'm aware of, the Kawa and the Suzi GSF500. Also, instead of a sportsbike you might want to take a look at a standard like the Yam FZ6 or a used Suzi Bandit 600; they may save you a couple of dollars on the insurance and still give you plenty of power/speed at your level of experience. (These bikes are cammed for low-end torque rather than top-end speed so they're a little different performance-wise than the 600 in a R6 or GSX600.) As for helmets, I have both a Shoei and Arai, and I like the fit and feel of the Arai better. You can get a general idea of prices online; however, you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED to go and try them on. The fit from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer is different and it's important you get one that fits your head right and is comfortable. If you find something you like, that's safe, fits right, but expensive, just remember it's probably still cheaper than a wheelchair. Your local bike dealer should have some decent hemets, and CycleGear usually has pretty good staff who'll answer all your questions plus you may catch them in a sale; I got my RX-7 for about $500 + tax. I'd wait until after MSF, I got a coupon for CycleGear in my packet and used it on a helmet and jacket.

Here's my tip for riding: Ride as if all those cagers are out to kill you.

And another thing, there are a lot of motorcycle forums out there. Once you figure out what bike you want, find a forum to hang out in, there's a lot of experience out there for the asking.

Also: http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

Flak Monkey
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm picking up a suzuki sv650 this summer. You might want to check that out also.

the
06-27-2006, 09:23 AM
first time bikeing, i love the sv 650 suggestions, super fun bikes, hold decent value, great for putting around town and then Vtwin gives you plenty of torque to start having fun. its also the best first track bike to have if you ever want to get into racing. the ninja 500 is a good choice, and as a first bike i would bet you'll not find it underpowered for the first while you ride it. only after you get with some guys blowing you away on the road will you want more. As far as wanting a crotch rocket, wait till the next bike, get a close imitation, like a suziki bandit 600 if your wanting a inline model, but my number one suggestion would be the honda 599. its sporty, still upright super fun, and has the age old honda reliability. and of all the bikes out ther honda still feels the best, only one bike has felt better on the track, and it was a 20 thousand dollar aprillia (but it lacked power).

as for the helmet, go pick up a shoei or arai. the only real rule is picko ne that fits, anything in the 300 dollar range will be some of the best nonlisenced helmets you can get.

the MSF course is a must, aside from it being law they have some good ideas too, the next step if after you;ve been riding a few months, go to a track and take a race lesson. You become vastly more aware, and thogh reactiosn wont be quicker, you'll have a better idea of how to deal with lotsof situations, premeditation is everything. every wreck ever can be prevented. you jsut have to knwo whats going on. a great book to read is called "twist of the wrist" like any great driver its important to know the physics of your machine, as well as what to be looking for/thinking about. this book has some of the best dundamentals ive ever found for bikers, and is a must read if your gonna race or not. you can find an ebook version of it on the web.

Smoken Joe
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Fist make sure you get a used bike because you will drop it and you can get a ninja 250 500 drop it and sell it for about the same price a year or month later. HJC has a good helmit at a low price though it wont last long though. Arai is the best of the best and the first choice of most experienced riders the only problem is you pay for it. Icon is good too though any helmit other than the Aria seems like poop after riding with the Arai.

Gloves and a jacket are also a must as well as at least jeans every single time you get on the bike especaly if you are going slow! Beleve it or not you are often more likly to get hurt riding at slow speed than at high on a bike within reason. Get real gloves full gauntlet ones. The cheap mesh Joe Rocket jackets work far better than you would expect.

Gear means the diffrence between a mere inconvience and some serious roadrash or worse.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Yamaha and Kawasaki are the best bikes to buy used they last parts are cheap too. Honda bikes are insanly expensive to maintain- only buy them new and sell at the end of the second summer or sooner nothing like the cars which are on the opposite end of the spectum as far as reiability. Suzukis are not as bad but fall apart too.

R6's are actualy very user frendly and easy to learn on but dont suffer fools well- start day dreaming and you are going 120MPH without even realizing it.

apex32
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Being a racer there is the Saying you have a 10 dollar head you get a 10 dollar helmet. I know they are expensive but I would look into a Simpson helmet. They are made out of carbon fiber so they are very light and easy on the head. As far as the visior either get a clear to start out with or a amber. The amber will help during the day when there is glare and at night it will magnify the light to help out.

How much better would you say they are than the new shoei's that came out not long ago, i thought those were pretty damn nice, very comfortable too, i especially liked the graphics on them. Kinda pricey though, but they are good helmets.

NWEng
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Romain must be out riding that new bike with all the information we gave him. His last post was on 6/13/06.

WeedJunk
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
I hope so for him :cool: