PDA

View Full Version : new system ?

barbiegirl
02-25-2003, 06:27 PM
hi everybody great site! my question is im going to build a new system and i would like to know what is the best setup. im ordering the permetia. and i have a ti 4600 vivo for video i have an amd xp2400 brand new. do you think i should get another cpu. i also have a pentium 4 2.0 cpu. i kinda like amd but if you think there a better setup with pentium please let me know,without breaking the bank! i have a abit at7-max2 board brand new, but i heard i should get a abit nf7-s ver.1.2. or the epox 8rg . or if i go pentium what board? what do you think? as far as memory how about corsair 3700 or the geil 3700? i would like to setup raid 0 ,4 hardrives which do you recommend i dont like westerns. what do you think? i have the themaltake xaser III i was going to mount on the permetia it hangs off about 3". my other chioce is to order the lian li pc75 cause its bigger.what do you think? i also would like to water cool the northbridge chip and the video cpu. i saw that setup on that permetia: sid lunquist modded case with watercooled i was woundering is that a good system? which watercooling system do you recommend? and for the power supply an enermax eg651p-ve or is there something better not to expensive? so what do you think? please help me build a killer rig!! thanks everyone for your help. if you would like to email my email :barbiegirlc@hotmail.com P.S. please help id like to order the components asap! my old setup crashed now im working off my laptop! thanks again...............barbiegirl;)

Tweaked!
02-25-2003, 06:54 PM
barbiegirl, Welcome to Xtreme!:D:D:D

The choice between Intel or Amd is more of a preference thing. Lots of people like the overclocking abilities available in a Amd setup, there's certainly more ways to o/c. But the Intel's sure do hold their own on overall performance. Me myself, I'm more of a Amd guy, but I also have and have had plenty of Pentiums, and enjoyed them as well. I like o/cing by both fsb and multi. But like I said, it's more of a preference thing than anything else. Choose one and go for it, if you aren't satisfied with your results then throw what you need to in the classifieds section of a couple forums and try something else. You should be able to recoup the majority of the money spent (on the average of 65 - 75% give or take from my views anyways;) ) as long as you haven't fried anything along the wonderful path of o/cing. If you do, you've got to chalk that up and move on, it's the consequenses of the thrill:cool:
I would have to recommend before you go throwing out a bunch of dollars, that you do a lot more reading through these types of forums and really familiarize yourself with want you're interested in getting into. You seem to have a good grasp of what your after, now learn everything you can and enjoy the ride.

Btw, I kinda like your sig;)

Just go into the overclocking forum (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56) and start reading everyones views on their experiences and you'll start to pick up on what ins and outs certain setups have. As far as your described setup, most of it looks like a solid plan for a really good performing computer. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tweaked! :cool:

DaGooch
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
My recommendation would be the Prometeia with the Aluminum Panel kit and Lian-Li PC 6x series of cases which should accomadate your 4 disk Raid 0 array. There is a slight problem with the Chieftec type of cases is that the standoffs are too short for the thermal pad for the back side of the motherboard and the tray requires to be cut for precise fit. You might consider the Swiftech 8500 liquid kit minus the CPU block and use the MCW50-T for cooling your graphics card and other chipset blocks.

barbiegirl
02-25-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks for replying. the lian li pc65 box is too small for all my components cd,burner,dvd player,dvd burner, multi disc changer,and hardcano fan controller, in the 5.25 bays in the 3.5 bays i have floppy,zip 250,digital thermomerter for the case. plus i want to put a water cooling system in there too. so if you know a nice case for the job please let know,15 bays or so. thats why i thought the lian li 75 would do nicely. i would perfer aluiminum,but if theres a good plastic or steel i wouldnt mine. i figured i would order the lian li aluminum bottom inclosure and bolt it to it. i know it would hang off the back 3". i need input on the system components. i do really want to go amd. always had good luck with them overclocking. could really use some help with what setup to go with. what do you think? please respond. thank you................barbiegirl:smileysex

DaGooch
02-26-2003, 04:53 AM
It seems you have the case picked out if you do not mind the 3" hanging on the rear with the aluminum kit. :) I believe most of the users here like the nForce2 boards with the AMD chips. The leading boards seems to be the Abit NF7-S Rev. 1.2, Epox 8RDA+ and Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

Here is what a Prometeia and a lucky XP 2100+ Thoroughbred B can do:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=110942

Dissolved
02-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by barbiegirl
i do really want to go amd. always had good luck with them overclocking.

OMFG i think im in love! :banana: :smileysex

OPPAINTER
02-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi there Barbie :D

Welcome to Xtreme:toast:

Well it sounds like you know what case you want so I won’t go there. As far as Hard drives, I personally use IBM 120 GXPs, I would like to try those 8Mb WDs, but I see you’re apposed to WD.
As far as your CPU, you need to test your 2400 first and see what kind of clocker it is. If you can't run 2800 Mhz stable then look for a new cpu.
I haven’t tried the new Abit 1.2 yet so I can’t compare it to the 8RDA, so far the 8RDA is the best. From what I’ve seen with few people that have the Abit NF7 1.2, it looks promising.
On the other hand the 8RGA from Epox will be out soon, this may be a killer mobo since they have embedded high VDD voltage tweaks and they have added the 4 pin 12V plug which will help with a stable overclock over the already stable 8RDA.
As for memory I would recommend Kingston HyperX, 256Mb sticks, this memory will take you as far as your mobo will allow. Mine does 237 on the NF7 Rev1, and as far as 243 on the Epox.
As far as the water cooling, I think the kit and setup that DaGoochMeister recommended is a good bet. He can actually set you up as this is his shop http://www.xtwerkz.com/vapor_cooling.htm

Don’t know what to tell you about the power supply, the enermax sounds powerful and you need a powerful PSU for all that stuff of yours :D

Let us know what you end up with:)

OPP

Dissolved
02-26-2003, 09:51 AM
OPP is the man!

Power supply, id get the ttgi 520w, they have good cooling, come in 4 colors, have internal Pot for adj. voltage and are pretty darn cheap. www.directron.com

Abit nf7-s Would be my choice. www.newegg.com had them in stock the night be4 last but they sold out. www.mwave.com Might have them in stock right now, so if you want the Soundstrom+sata onboard an nforce2 motherboard you need the abit nf7-s.

memory wise, Id say corsair IMHO.. OPP had great luck with his hyperX from kingston, but i havent seen many have his luck. Maybe the memory needs Alot of voltages 2.9v+ to get its sweet spot, but with 2.7v i cannot get mine to do jack.

Cpu wise, What would help is if you told us the numbers on the Chip thats on the "die" or "core" (square rised metal in the moddle top of the chip) and from XS's many members we can compare and tell you the adv overclock w/ fsb/voltages settings.
If your 2400+ is a bad stepping and if you wanna buy a different cpu, Id suggest you either buy a 2100+ B core week 03 from http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=178_186 They Sell processing buy there Stepping code, which will help us guess how they will Overclock. Usualy the newest stepping will overclock better, Why? i really arent sure to be honest. But thats about how it works.. IF you want the fastest cpu out with some overclocking id suggest you go to www.newegg.com and serch for "barton" and they have a barton core (fastest amd processor out right now) in a 1.8ghz 2500+ model. It would be great in your prommy, and Should give you more perforance. It costs a bit under 200 dollars, but should outbench intels processors within a 400-500mhz range.

Thats abot the basics i cant type in 5mins or so. if you have anyother questions feel free to post, thats what were here for :)
GJ on your rig(S) and dont forget to have fun! :smileysex

barbiegirl
02-28-2003, 11:51 AM
thanks for all replys, i bought the 2400 boxed processe when they first came out there is no writing on die only the black sticker it says: amd athlon AXDA2400KV3C 9286136270532 AIUCB0241XPHW 1999 AMD MALAYSIA please tell me if its any good. on air cooled i had it up to 2255 please reply thank you.......barbiegirl

Dissolved
02-28-2003, 12:07 PM
i believe thats a Good processor. i think week 41 (what you have) and 43's were very good. some hit 2.4 easy. im not sure what would be holding you back, might be to hot, or need more voltage.

Lunatic
03-02-2003, 10:52 AM
thats auicb :( the worst t-bred b stepping..

Dissolved
03-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Lunatic
thats auicb :( the worst t-bred b stepping..

she should still get 2.2ghz or so from it.

barbiegirl
03-03-2003, 04:02 PM
That figures id buy the crappy one! uasally the first chips are the better ones. im think im going to buy a xp 2500 333 for $175 is this the best chip? i dont want to spend anymore than that. im taking a big hit on the other one i payed 220.99 3 year warranty when it first came out. so is this the chip thats gonna get the job done! what do you think? now to the issues with the motherboards, i think im going to order the abit nf7-s ver.1.2 but people are saying wait for the epox 8rg i like abit i never used epox. so what do you think? as far for memory: is i was looking at 2 corsair twinx 512mb modules-1 gig-matched pair but there only 3200 not 3500 or 3700. so that kinda stinks, so i dont know! what about giel 3700 or kingston hyperx but alot of people have problems with it. so i dont know what to go with. so what do you think? and the harddrives i need 4 what about the maxtor diamondmax 9 7200rpms ,8mb i believe or is there something better? boy this tyring work doin all the research! please let me know what you think! i reaaly like to order stuff tommorow, working off my laptop stinks no performance, no gaming,no bench marking you know! suffering!!!!he he thanks everyone for your help!..........barbiegirl:smileysex

Dissolved
03-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Well id get:

Cpu: barton 2500+ 1.83ghz 512k cache $180.00
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-103-378&DEPA=1

Motherboard: Abit nf7-s rev1.2 $128.00
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=181_220&products_id=866 (they have it in stock now, so if you want this board you need to buy asap)

Memory: Corsair pc3200 pair $344.00
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1666&description=&page=2

Harddrive: Either 2x 80gb WD 8mb cache $101.00 OR 1x 200gb WD 8mb cache for $243.00
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=14&manufactory=1306&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1 (2x 80gb would be good for useing one for os, and one for data. 200gb if you allready have a smaller drive youd wanna use for an os)

there other brands of memory like kingston hyperX and twinmos that might be good, but i havent heard enough to convence me to buy them. Corsair seems to be the beat you can get for a AMD system at the moment. Geil, is more intel basied it seems to me.

When you buy hardware in the us, Newegg.com is 99% the place to go. excaliberpc.com is a great Abit site, and they also sell there Cpu's by stepping code, so you can buy a good cpu and know it will oc great right outta the box.

if you have any other q's feel free to ask :)

barbiegirl
03-04-2003, 08:00 PM
hi, im unclear on the xp2500 333 is this the best chip for the job is there a special week to get or something any reviews i can look at. please respond. and for the memory is ocz 3500 1 gig matched pair a good choice or corsair twinx 3200 1 gig or kingston hyperx 2x 512mb for the abit nf7-s rev. 1.2 but dont you think 3500 or 3700 would be better? on the abit nf7-s rev. 1.2 do i need to get a raid controller card to run 4 hard drives 0 raid? what is the best one for this. im still undecided on which hardrives to get does anyone use the maxtor diamond 9 8mb? or western 8mb or ibm? could i run like 2 or 4 scsi drives on this board, would it be a better setup? do you run through a controller card or can you run them sata? there is 2 sata channels on this board could somone explain to me how it works and should i use it? please help me. sorry for all the questions, but im going to spend a lot of money and i want to get it right the first time! and i want to kick some butt!! PLEASE RESPOND.........THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYBODY! LOVE....BARBIEGIRL :smileysex

barbiegirl
03-05-2003, 07:37 PM
boy its very quiet today please reply when you get a chance. thank you...............barbiegirl;)

Dissolved
03-05-2003, 10:14 PM
as of right now theres no special week form the 2500+barton.
i personally dont think ocz is what youd want in your system.
Honestly, since your a n0bbie to this pc3500 is the best you should buy, cuz untill you learn alot more you wont be hitting high enough fsb to waste your money on faster ram.
The nf7-s Does not have ide raid. Only sata raid. The sata raid can do Raid0 or raid1 w/ a max of 2 ide/sata drives.
Harddrive wise Id get the WD 8mb series, The 200gb WD 8mb cache is one of the fastest ide drives out.
You dont need scsi. Scsi is for advanced users, and wont gain you much on desktop performance for the money.

Svenn
03-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Dissolved
Scsi is for advanced users, and wont gain you much on desktop performance for the money.

Hehe, silly people... Keyword there being "MUCH"! If there's performance to be gained.... I'm there! Haha.

Dissolved
03-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Svenn
Hehe, silly people... Keyword there being "MUCH"! If there's performance to be gained.... I'm there! Haha.

Well u can gain a ton.. but not on a single cpu overclocking board.
The pci bus is lmitied to 133mbps. Thats all 5/6 slots. Most newer scsi drives 10krpm+ do 60MBps Each. So 2 drives running at the same time will just about max your pci bus. So its almost pointless to buy money for scsi unless you have a 64bit/pciX that can handle higher pci speeds, so you can get more out of scsi.
Paying hundards of dollars for scsi drives in a desktop overclocking pc is stupid. i tryed that and learned its a waste of money.
The only and i mean only thing for scsi on a desktop pc will gain you is a bit faster access times, and better file tranfers from drive to drive. But that wont improve anything in benchmarks all that much.

i had 4 15k rpm 18gb scsi drives, and mine are older models and they do 59MBps in windows. So techinally i cannot use more then 2 on my pci or ill me slowing other stuff down. So ive desided to sell all but 1. im planning on either haveing 1 15k 18gb for my OS and 1 73gb 10k for my data, Or 1 15k for OS and 2 80gb on my sata on this nf7. Havent desided.. IDE drives are so cheap now, its almost stupid to buy scsi. But im not sure yet. have to see if WD releases its 250gb drive any time soon, ill probly get it.

barbiegirl
03-06-2003, 09:22 AM
hi dissovled im not that new to o/c i want a kickass machine not an average run of the mill!! i dont feel like buying stuff to have to replace it cause i got ok stuff, you know what i mean. so lets get this straight best amd motherboard is abit nf7-s and for memory:corsair pc3500 twinx 1024gb what about twinmos 3700 or kingston hyperx? i want to do video & dvd burning and gaming so i want 4 fast harddrives i want 10,000rpm drives or maybe maxtor diamond max 9s 7200rpm those western drives are only 5400rpms so how do you think they better. and should i have to get a controller card? i guess the 2500xp barton with cut bridges will do. havent seen too many marks on this chip though! ive orderd the prommie and lian li bottom, and im going to bolt to my thermaltake xaser III case. nice extras in this case and its big enough i hope! im also going to order the swiftech 8500 water system minus the cpu block and im going to get the mct50 peltier for the gpu and for the NB. so that shuold be a good sytem. where im having trouble is with which memory and the harddrives to get! so can can someone please shed some light!! thank you.....love barbiegirl:smileysex

Dissolved
03-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Check your pms. you have a million questions, so it might be better if we talk on a messenger.