PDA

View Full Version : Will this radiator do?

[H]rayman2k2
02-25-2003, 05:32 PM
The radiator I will get is 10"x6"x2", and here are the following blocks I will use:
The Cathar block
Some GPU block
2 HDD Blocks

The CPU will be one of the upcoming 800mhz Northwoods, the GPU will most likely be the r350, the hdds are 200Gb Western Digitals w/ 8mb Cache. The case will be a Chieftec case, and the radiator will be put where the 3.5" drive bays are(I will take them out).... who ever answers gets a banana

Tweaked!
02-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Could use just a little more info here, are you asking if it will fit? Could use model numbers or links to the case you're refering to if thats the case.give us some pics, remember most of us here are guys and we like to look at pics;):D

[H]rayman2k2
02-25-2003, 06:00 PM
http://www.heatercore4u.com/2-199.htm

thar she blows. I know it will fit, but i am wondering if it will support all the blocks that i have.

wymjym
02-26-2003, 06:25 AM
the short answer is, yes.
wj

Dissolved
02-26-2003, 07:09 AM
that thing should cool them all.. not greatly tho.. IMHO i dont think you need to Watercool your hdd's.. ide drives never get hot enough to do any damage.. SCSI drives should be cooled actively but even at that they shouldnt be in a watercolled pc..

Cpu+gpu should be fine.. You could just mod a 80mm fan to blow over the hdd's.. even a 20~30cfm fan will cool the drives Alot.

Also, i wouldnt pay 50 dollars for that. you can buy Pre-made ones online for the same price that are all ready to go.

wymjym
02-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Dissolved
that thing should cool them all.. not greatly tho.. IMHO i dont think you need to Watercool your hdd's.. ide drives never get hot enough to do any damage.. SCSI drives should be cooled actively but even at that they shouldnt be in a watercolled pc..

Cpu+gpu should be fine.. You could just mod a 80mm fan to blow over the hdd's.. even a 20~30cfm fan will cool the drives Alot.

Also, i wouldnt pay 50 dollars for that. you can buy Pre-made ones online for the same price that are all ready to go.

If..and this is a big IF............the proper air flow across that hc is accomplished it can dissapate around 2600btu....let's say a conservative 600 watts. I'm pretty sure you are not dealing with that kind of power.
If you would ask anyone in the pc business what the #1 hardware failure is most will answer "hdds". Not at first...2 3 4 years down the road they fail. Ask hdd manufacturers what causes the majority of their failures and they will answer heat.
So, heat does hurt and ultimately kill hdds. Most of us upgrade so often that this failure doesn't rear its head. Cooling hdds will extend their life and since most manufacturer have dropper their warranties to 1 year it might be aworthwhile consideration (cooling).

wj

Dissolved
02-26-2003, 09:59 AM
well hdd's wont get hot enless they arent cooled right, watercooling isnt that effective... haveing a 80mm fan blowing across them in cheaper, easier, and just as good. i have 3 15,000rpm scsi drives that get as hot as a califonia summer, and i have a 40cfm 80mm fan blowing across them and they get cool.

Craig
02-26-2003, 01:17 PM
I agree with Dissolved if the comparison is to the lower cost hdd blocks.

But a quality hdd block will cool better than the fans. But quality ones are A) hard to find & B) VERY expensive

Might try contacting Rotor as he makes a good one, but no idea of the cost. There are 2-3 german sites that have really nice ones, that also do a very good job of reducing noise as well, but with a price to match.:(

[H]rayman2k2
02-26-2003, 03:14 PM
where are those german sites?

also, i will have two 120mm PanafloH1A's blowing across them, sometimes it'll be 7v'd

Craig
02-26-2003, 05:01 PM
www.cool-cases.org

The one at this site is the best of them, to me. There is a second one however that is even better for noise reduction as it fully inclosed the drive except for the rear (also a german site but I don't recall which one). This one is open on the bottom, but is the wildest eye candy. This hdd cooler takes nearly 3 hours of CNC time to make. Bad news is it's $157.00 USD before shipping, I don't know what that would add.

[H]rayman2k2
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
oooo....:slobber: :slobber: :mad: :mad: :( :(

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ThingOne/bigeek.gif

[H]rayman2k2
02-26-2003, 05:59 PM
oh, and how loud are the vantec hdd coolers? I want a quiet machine.........

dmitriyaz
02-26-2003, 06:00 PM
watercooling hard drives only makes sense when you have a large raid array, and you want to cool them all with one large waterblock (DIY, obviously) and then insulate them with some sound absorbing foam. for example you are running a small server in your bedroom and the noise of 5x 10k rpm drives would drive you crazy. hopefully i'll get to do that some time, when i can afford SCSI :slobber:

EDIT: oh, and i just remembered i had this poorly drawn picture still on my webspace, might as well link you to it. its a diagram of boxed, watercooled and insulated for noise external SCSI raid array. http://home.attbi.com/~dmitriyaz/scsi.jpg

Craig
02-26-2003, 07:24 PM
For noise reduction water cooling even single hdd's makes good sense. And as a gain on the side it will help extend the life of your drive.

With the mass of metal and water that Evolution cooler has it would really damp down noise, as well as do a fantastic job of cooling. NOt to mention the eye appeal.

I think it would pretty well take $200 USD to get one shipped over. "Silence is golden" was never more true. A tribute to the designers and makers of the Evolution is I'm still tempted to have one some day. (Right after I hit the lotto:D )

CCW
02-26-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Dissolved

Sorry to go off topic, Dissolved, just wondering why you said SCSI drives should'nt be in a watercooled machine? I have SCSI and will be going watercooled soon so just wondered your reasoning

Thanks,
Craig

Dissolved
02-27-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by CCW
Sorry to go off topic, Dissolved, just wondering why you said SCSI drives should'nt be in a watercooled machine? I have SCSI and will be going watercooled soon so just wondered your reasoning

Thanks,
Craig

Cuz they cost so much =)

CCW
02-27-2003, 10:11 AM
do you mean in case of leak?

Confused Craig