PDA

View Full Version : Mobo heatpipes in reversed chassis (like Lian Li V600)

MrGarrison
06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I read somewhere that it'll be a problem to have mobos with passive heatpipe designs in Lian Li's V-series since the mobos are flipped upside down in them. Is it true, and if so will it really be that big a problem?

I'm curious because I'm thinking of buying Abit's AW9D-MAX when it gets released.

Vric
06-12-2006, 04:04 PM
The heat pipe don't work upside down. I asked Asus and Gigabyte, both told me it would be dangerous for the chipset.

It's logical when you think how heat pipe work. The liquid can't transfer the heat since it's not even on the chipset (it's already in the heatsink where it should be cooled down)

So you are like me with my Silverstone TJ06, you have to get a board without HP, or mod one yourself

alexio
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
It's logical when you think how heat pipe work.

Some heatpipes are specially made to work 360 degrees. I'm not sure what's the difference between them and ordinary though.

Helmore
06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
But how do you know if your heatpipe will work under any condition? I know the Zalman 9500's heatpipes work in any direction, at least that is what Zalman said.

alexio
06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
But how do you know if your heatpipe will work under any condition? I know the Zalman 9500's heatpipes work in any direction, at least that is what Zalman said.

What about: Just watch the temps :D

The south and Northbridge don't use much power at all, so it could be safely tested with the motherboard upside down.

Haltech
06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I have a MSI Diamond Plat in a V2000.. its heatpipe works fine in a BTX case.

Vric
06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
anyway nothing stop us to remove the heatpipe and use a 3rd party cooler for the northbridge.

SamHughe
06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
My Asus A8N-sli premium did not work in Lian-Li 1200B. I had to get a new case because of that.

lowfat
06-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I was always under the impression that heatpipes work, no matter the direction.

Ominous Gamer
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I was always under the impression that heatpipes work, no matter the direction.

Heatpipes work with the help of gravity, the liquid evaporates and travels away from the heat source untill it is cool enough to condense and flow down to the heat source again.
If the heat source is at the top, the liquid has no where to evap to, and no where to return to.

Newer, and much more expensive heatpipes have a staircase design inside the pipe so the liquid can slowly travel away from the heat, even when it is positioned poorly. I do not believe motherboards are using these heatpipes, instead they just changed to a copper base and pipes, relying on the heat transfer properties of the metal instead of the liquid.

MrGarrison
06-13-2006, 05:46 AM
god damn it i just bought my v600 case!!!

hm maybe i should go sff or something when conroe gets released...

SMa
06-13-2006, 06:03 AM
the heatsource must always be on the lowest position

in my opinion are those heatpipe-cooled chipset the dummest invention ever... I just hate it that I can't buy the board that I want because the chipset would get to hot in my BTX case.
And with Asus the heatpipe also cools the mosfets, so if you remove it you also have to place a new mosfet-cooler, which are hard to find and mostly to expensive for what it really is.

Ominous Gamer
06-13-2006, 06:08 AM
People are getting a lot of terms confused.

ATX motherboards do not fit in BTX cases, ever.
What you people mean is that your ATX motherboard is inverted. It has nothing to do with the BTX form factor.

Vric
06-13-2006, 06:43 AM
upside down, the Mosfests would be cooled (it should transfer the heat to the chepset)

How about adding a small fan on the chipset ? Most of the chipset don't even need active cooling, and those heatpipe also include a heatsink on the chipset (that might be why some people have no problem)

It's an overkill cooling for a chipset. A false "high end" feeling.

This is one of the reason I will get the P5B and not the Deluxe version.

Torin
06-13-2006, 06:48 AM

What you people mean is that your ATX motherboard is inverted. It has nothing to do with the BTX form factor.
They are just mounting ATX motherboards inverted in a BTX compatible case. Since you can drill multiple holes into a motherboard mounting plate, you can make a case compatible with ATX, mATX, BTX, etc.

So, yes you can mount an ATX motherboard in a BTX-compatible case.

Rocket
06-13-2006, 08:34 AM

Many case manufacturers are making cases that support both form factors.

Such as CoolerMaster (which will likely be my next case)

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1158

Ominous Gamer
06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
They are just mounting ATX motherboards inverted in a BTX compatible case. Since you can drill multiple holes into a motherboard mounting plate, you can make a case compatible with ATX, mATX, BTX, etc.

So, yes you can mount an ATX motherboard in a BTX-compatible case.

No they are not mounting ATX boards in BTX cases; Its more then mounting holes. The location of the PCI slots and the I/O are reversed. In an ATX case you can not mount a BTX motherboard, and you can not mount a BTX motherboard in an ATX case.

I am aware of cases that have interchangeable parts to support both factors, but thats not the discussion here. Simply inverting a motherboard like this thread focuses on is not making the board or case BTX.

Ominous Gamer
06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Just following up on what I was saying, here are two images that show that an inverted ATX motherboard and a BTX motherboard are not the same format.
Cases that are designed for inverted ATX motherboards are not BTX cases.

BTX case, notice the PCI slots at the bottom
http://www.tsukumo.co.jp/gateway/img/041202-btx-008-l.jpg

Inverted ATX case, notice the PCI slots at the top
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/Images/Silverstone/SST-TJ06/10060046s.jpg

SMa
06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I never noticed that before...
I really thought my case was BTX, because Aerocool says so (it's an Aercool Masstige).

Because of your post I went to their site and read this:
"This is a BTX-ready case. Users who are installing BTX motherboards, must purchase BTX accessory kit. For more information on purchasing the BTX Kit, please email btx@ aerocool.us
Some googling gave this: Aerocool btx kit (http://www.maxbyte.de/shopsystem/catalog/images/ae1.jpg)

StGL
06-13-2006, 10:20 AM
I never noticed that before...
I really thought my case was BTX, because Aerocool says so (it's an Aercool Masstige).

Because of your post I went to their site and read this:
"This is a BTX-ready case. Users who are installing BTX motherboards, must purchase BTX accessory kit. For more information on purchasing the BTX Kit, please email btx@ aerocool.us
Some googling gave this: Aerocool btx kit (http://www.maxbyte.de/shopsystem/catalog/images/ae1.jpg)

Yes you just mount the BTX board on the other side of the case.. If you mont on the right side now it would be the left side if you bought the BTX kit.:rolleyes: