PDA

View Full Version : Waterblocks for 975X and P965?

Torin
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Has anyone tried a block on either of these chipsets? I know the caps are rather close to the socket for both chipsets, and I'm trying to figure out which blocks will work and which won't. Right now I'm planning to use a Storm G4 block (Cathar version) on a 975X chipset, but want a backup plan in case the block hits the caps.

I have no reason to believe it will or won't, but I'd like some information one way or another. So, if you have a waterblock mounting to a board with either the 975X or P965 chipset, please report your specs. :toast:

creidiki
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Why in the world would you want to use something as incredibly restrictive as a Storm on a chipset? Are you insane or simply masochistical? O.o

Torin
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Why in the world would you want to use something as incredibly restrictive as a Storm on a chipset? Are you insane or simply masochistical? O.o
LOL, no no, not on the chipset, on the CPU.

It's just that the boards with these particular chipsets have caps real close to the CPU socket, so I was wondering which waterblocks can still get a good mount. :) I know the MCW6000 can't, because it overlaps the socket by about 1cm on all sides, which causes it to hit the caps and not mount evenly on the socket, meaning the mounting plate won't go over the motherboard mounting holes.

But no, I would never try to put a storm on a chipset. :P :stick:

creidiki
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Ooooo right sorry, got confused by the mention of 975X as I know intel chipsets can run quite hot.

Perhaps you can find detailed size specs for the storm somewhere? (or maybe someone can measure it out for you)

Torin
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Ooooo right sorry, got confused by the mention of 975X as I know intel chipsets can run quite hot.

Perhaps you can find detailed size specs for the storm somewhere? (or maybe someone can measure it out for you)
Well, I could unmount mine from my board and measure it, I'd just prefer not. Was hoping someone had already taken the time and effort, so I can put my mind at ease, and perhaps help me decide between the two chipsets.

I know that half of the first batch of G4 blocks from Cathar were a solid base-plate, but then it was discovered that it could not be mounted on a socket 775 board because of the caps. However, the caps on the older 775 boards are not nearly as close to the socket as the new 775 boards, i.e. 975X and P965, so I'm wondering if the precautions Cathar took to mill the sides of the base-plate are ample for the new 775 boards.

I really need to go dig up my OCAU login so I can check there. :rolleyes:

jrw
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Nexxxos XP 775 for one.

JoeBar
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Nexxxos XP 775 for one.
For two... :)

Pied
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
i'd like to know if there is any compatability issues on the new boards with blocks that are out now. i hope my mp-05 will fit on one of those

[XC] DragonOrta
06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I know that the Storm fits on the Intel Bad Axe board, because Compgeek is running one on his E6600, but I don't think that there are so many caps lined up right next to the socket as on some of the ASUS boards that I've seen.