PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki MD30R dead

johann
06-12-2006, 05:38 AM
I have an Iwaki MD30R pump which was working fine but when I start it up now after its been sitting for a few months it doesnt pump atall and gets really hot very quickly, anyone knows what can be wrong?

I am building a waterchiller and need a strong pump..

phextwin
06-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Open it up and check if the impellor is stuck or something is clogged.

Pull the front off and check if the magnet spins.

Eastcoasthandle
06-12-2006, 06:02 AM
It's natural that the MD30R gets hot but if it's not working you have to unscrew the front part and check the inside. One thing about those pumps are the changable parts. You may have to call Iwaki to find a local parts place online on in your city. Prices? Well I don't know....

Also check your wiring if you spliced the wires for your MD-30R it best to re check them. I do hope you used replacement cord found only at your local hardware store (where they keep the extension cords) or your local electrical store and not a extension card from Walmart or Krogers.

Please re-check how your wired your cord. Make sure you have replacement cord and not a hacked (cut ir yourself) extension card from Walmart or Krogers. Why? Because with replacement cord you can buy the same gauge and it's color coded which leaves no confusing guess work. And, that's what its designed for...
US Standard 3 prong plug
Left prong neutral (white wire)
Right prong hot (black wire)
lower middle prong Ground (green wire)

yngndrw
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
US Standard 3 prong plug
Left prong neutral (white wire)
Right prong hot (black wire)
lower middle prong Ground (green wire)
He's in the UK. Over here we still use:
Brown (Live / Hot)
Blue (Neutral / Cold)
Green / Yellow (Earth)

johann
06-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I opened the pump up, found what looked like a dodgy wire, fixed it up. Now it runs but lasts about a minute then cuts out. WHen it runs it runs fine.
So basically it just runs and cuts out, then I give it some time and it runs again.

any ideas?

epion2985
06-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Did you take off the impeller housing yet and took a look at whats going on in there yet?

An another note why md30. The huge heat dump will outweigh any gains. You would be much better off with am md20RLZ or an RD20 or RD30.

Eastcoasthandle
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Did you take off the impeller housing yet and took a look at whats going on in there yet?

An another note why md30. The huge heat dump will outweigh any gains. You would be much better off with am md20RLZ or an RD20 or RD30.
Not true, the only test that point in this direction are the RZ variants. I have tried both the D5 and the MD30R and they are about the same as far as gpu and cpu temps. Cather tested the MD 20/30 RZ (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10825) not the R/RT variant. I may simplify the matter but it appears that the more amps an Iwaki inputs the hotter it gets.

Eastcoasthandle
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I opened the pump up, found what looked like a dodgy wire, fixed it up. Now it runs but lasts about a minute then cuts out. WHen it runs it runs fine.
So basically it just runs and cuts out, then I give it some time and it runs again.

any ideas?

Check the impeller to make sure its free of debris, etc. Also check for shorts in the wiring. Is their any burn marks, etc... Also check the connectsions on the wires. Do you need to re-solder/screw down a connection???