PDA

View Full Version : Repair a LGA 775 socket ?

06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I got hold of a motherboard with 2 broken pins on the LGA socket. What do you lot reckon to my chances of fixing this by supergluing on some telephone wire or two snapped off pins from a 386cpu prehaps.

Should I even try or is it too risky to the processor I might test with it. IAm not sure how much pressure these socket pins are put under, obviously a superglue bodge job isnt going to handle much strain.

I heard somewhere you can only ever install 20 cpus into these motherboards because the wear and tear is so bad on them, the socket does seem to exert alot of pressure when pushing down the trigger but I dont know if that is transmitted to the pins or its holding the cpu die in place firmly as a whole.

Any soldering geniuses out there know about this stuff?

The board isnt even a year old but I presume any attempt at rma or repair request would fail

cirthix
06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
pics?

06-11-2006, 07:24 PM
These arent very clear but my camera is not the best and its bloody tiny!
Would you believe I went to all the trouble of doing a full case install before noticing what the problem was

If the pins were just bent or twisted I'd definetly have a go but 2 have definetly got snapped ends to them, a couple others may also be effected but only slightly

thunderstruck!
06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Interesting username;) .

lutjens
06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Consider this a good excuse to upgrade...:D

In any event, exchanging (or repairing) the motherboard is likely to be cheaper than replacing the CPU was in the past (if P4s still used pins).

This damage likely wouldn't be covered under RMA (as has been stated), but it's likely that the manufacturer would do a repair on that board and charge you for it. The cost of repair would probably be less than replacement.