PDA

View Full Version : Tt Crystal Orb on Northbridge?

Norbert666
02-25-2003, 06:45 AM
Hi there

I'm looking for advice/guide on how to replace the stock NB sink on my Epox 8K5A3+ with a Crystal Orb.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Norb!

dykz34
02-25-2003, 08:12 AM
If the mounting holes dont line up you could always zip-tie it on there. But dont use too much pressure.

glock19owner
02-25-2003, 10:39 AM
If the mounting holes don't match. Then just use some thermal epoxy, that will hold the Crystal orb without any worries. Just make sure it is centered when letting the epoxy dry.

Or if you feel brave, you could try mixing a few drops of superglue and artic silver together and mount it like that. I DO NOT advice trying this method becasue by the time you find out you didnt apply enough glue to hold the crystal orb in place, it has already fallen off the MB and no telling what damage it will/would cause when falling.

mike.elmes
02-25-2003, 11:10 AM
I epoxied a Tt crystal orb to my northbridge of my KR7A raid board but it is a LOUD sucker....hope you have other loud fans in there to offset the whine....;)

Norbert666
02-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mike.elmes
I epoxied a Tt crystal orb to my northbridge of my KR7A raid board but it is a LOUD sucker....hope you have other loud fans in there to offset the whine....;)

I was hoping the Corb would offset the noise from the rest of my fans!! :p

I don't want to epoxy (I have a Zalman sink just in case) so I like the idea of zip-tying.

I heard that you could cut/modify the fixing holes in the fan mounting to U shapes then screw fix it to the board with plastic washers to protect the board. Anyone heard of that or done it even?

Thanks

Norb!

dykz34
02-25-2003, 10:17 PM
That may work, but would it still be wide enough?

Norbert666
02-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by dykz34

is epoxying the way that most people do this then?

i can really see myself doing that, as my hands shake too much from years of alcohol abuse, and I'm bound to b0rk it!

Norb!

dykz34
02-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Ya, a lot of people use Epoxy. I dont want to on mine though incase I go to watercooling (which I may). :)

tweaky
02-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Yup the TT Crystal ORB is indeed loud, I actually regret epoxying the sucker on now :rolleyes:

Still its holding up ok with 1.85vdd going through the NB :)

Stang_Man
02-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by dykz34

the thing is not wide enough, and still, if you were able to get it on, it would be off center because of many large cpu coolers, such as the alpha and slk800 and swiftechs...

GVCryan
02-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I just use AS3 in the center with a ring of Superglue(from a glue pen) around the outside, when I glue something.

It will come off easier anyway, and since the nb aint flat anyway, the cooling capability don't really matter.

Norbert666
02-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Stang_Man
the thing is not wide enough, and still, if you were able to get it on, it would be off center because of many large cpu coolers, such as the alpha and slk800 and swiftechs...

Oh yee of little faith!!! :p

Norb!

Zeus
03-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Be careful with those orb type o hsf.
I once had a blue orb onto my geforce 2 and wondered why it still run that hot.
On closer inspection i found that the contact it made to the core was absolutely terrible.
The base of this hsf was sort of bend probably caused by the way those things are being manufactuerd.
The solution was to lap the base with fine sandingpaper and checking on a mirror.
Not sure if the crystal orb is as bad as the blue orb cause i never had one, just be careful though.;)