PDA

View Full Version : Re-doing the whole wc setup

Kalway
06-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Alright so for almost a year I've been using Kingwin's arctic cooling watercool kit. It did alright for a moderate A64 newcastle. So the pump crapped out recently and I decided it'd be time to finally put a bit better pump in the system. Got a lil submersible 60gph pump to replace the ~18gph pump that came with it. Didn't really help it much so I upgraded to the 120gph pump at home depot. Got a bit better flow so I left it be. Few days go by and the steady stream turned in to a drip. Now I'd been noticing problems with air getting in my system and it is rather restrictive seeing as it's 1/4" tubing.

Well here's where I am now, found out the gpu and cpu blocks are majorly clogged. Like it's hard to even blow air through em. Got the GPU block unclogged but the cpu block has more turns in it so it gave me the finger and won't unclog as easily. Luckily I've already purchased a white water from a forum member. Now I need to assemble the rest of the system to accomodate the 1/2" tubing requirements.

First off, should I return this Beckett 120gph pump and get a 320gph via aqua pump for about the same price, to go with this block? I think I'll probably go down to autozone and get a heater core to replace these tube radiators I have. I've got tons of fans to cool it with. Suggestion on a cheap gpu block that uses 1/2" tubing? I'm going to get some of that garden tubing from home depot since it's cheap, lasts a long time, and holds its shape well. Aesthetics isn't that important to me, I just want something to cool and be quiet. I hate loud fans after dealing with them for too long.

[XC]Atomicpineapple
06-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Best idea is to return the pump and look for a purpose built watercooling pump like the Aqua Extreme 50Z, the Dangerden D5/Swiftech MCP655 or the Laing DDC+. As for a radiator, the Thermochill PA series are the best, but theyre pricey, go with a Black Ice Pro if youre on a budget. You'll need at least a dual 120mm radiator for a CPU and GPU.

ReD.SkY
06-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok.....

Pineapples way right, a purpose built pump will be the best, but as your budget is fairly low, you would need to find one used. The best pump, would prolly be the DDC, but for the modded top, youre looking at $110.

ive got a Pump (AquaXtreme 50X) that i can sell for $55 plus shipping (melymel, i have 2)

The best WB for you, would be the MP-05 Pro LE, since the storm is virtually the same and more expensive. The MP-05 LE is is probibly, one of the best waterblocks( equal to the storm according to most), but around 65$. The Storm is $80. but if you want value, the MP-05 Pro (non LE) can be had for $40 from dtekcustoms.com. ( I also have a mp-05 pro LE that i think i can sell for $50. it has the Delrin Jets and slot, and X midplates)

As far as GPU blocks go, used will be the only way to a get a cheaper one.
the best are Maze4, MP-01, and MCW60 those are all about $45. used around $35.

Rads, a heatercore will be fine if u plan on using high speed fans, but if u want silent, go with the MCR or BIP series. A BIP3 can be had for $30 at directron.

Kalway
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Woah woah woah, gettin a lil out of hand here guys. I'm going strictly cheap and budget. I've already purchased a white water. I'm not looking for 3+ ghz overclocks. I'm only trying to get my system to remain cool and not be annoying. As you can see from my specs, my system isn't a 3dmark killer any more.

I know this is xtremesystems but I'm not exactly trying to be xtreme this time around.

I'm thinking $20 via pump, $25 heater core, but what GPU block can be had for cheap? Like I said, I already have a dtek white water on the way here.

ReD.SkY
06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
lol k... i dunno about any cheap GPU blocks

jellybeard999
06-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Probably a cheap Maze 4 gpu block ... older design one would fit your 9700 and be cheaper...

Seufari
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Probably a cheap Maze 4 gpu block ... older design one would fit your 9700 and be cheaper...

yeah, one of those older maze 4 blocks would work nicely.

Kalway
06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
What would be the minimum and cheapest pump I could use with the white water block? I know the via aqua 360 gph pump is only $17 and has 6.5ft of head pressure, but I MIGHT be willing to spend a few bucks more if I can get something that would supply it even better. My new reservoir = 6 pack cooler! Was in the garage and saw it and was like "Score! a reservoir!"

VanXylander
06-11-2006, 05:38 PM
What would be the minimum and cheapest pump I could use with the white water block? I know the via aqua 360 gph pump is only $17 and has 6.5ft of head pressure, but I MIGHT be willing to spend a few bucks more if I can get something that would supply it even better. My new reservoir = 6 pack cooler! Was in the garage and saw it and was like "Score! a reservoir!"

You keep your beer and your computer cold at the same time. You are a genius.

Seufari
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM

lol... I saw one guy using a gallon milk jug as a res... It didnt look half bad.

VanXylander
06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
lol... I saw one guy using a gallon milk jug as a res... It didnt look half bad.

LOLOLOL.... gg budget cuts.

Kalway
06-12-2006, 10:08 AM

Well... Vault and Coke for another 13 days. I turn 21 then ;)

Suggestions on the pump, though? I'm guessing I could do maybe 2.6ghz on the newcastle with the white water and the via pump. I could probably use a dc pump, though, considering I have a 550w psu running the whole system. The 3.3v rail doesn't even dip under load, hah.

Kalway
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Little update. Got the block in the mail yesterday. Decided on a Beckett pump from home depot for $50. Same pressure and flow as about any pump you can get for the money. (340 gph, ~13ft head pressure, AC power, submersible) It's quiet and pushes water through the half inch tubing faster than the water coming out of a garden hose.

Now I need a radiator. The block with just the reservoir is actually keeping the cpu cool at stock speeds just fine, for now, but what's the fun in that? I went over to the auto parts stores to look at heater cores but couldn't find any with the right sized fittings. After some research I found that 1st generation mustang heater cores have 5/8" fittings on both the inlet and outlet, while most others are 5/8" and 3/4". Problem is I'm not sure if my 1/2" vinyl tubing will be able to fit over even that. Any suggestions on a cheap radiator?

Oh and I decided to just keep my gpu cool with the old loop, just removed one of the two radiators and the cpu segment and it works fine.