PDA

View Full Version : Vista Beta 2 On Celeron D

X300
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2103/untitled0dg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Before I would get 52s on XP.

Here are other stuff that im happy with vista beta 2
- My Internet Downloads are downloadable around 500kb/s or higher.
- I can change setting with a click on a buttion
- Comes with firewall :D

Bad things about vista:
- When you open a program everytime it goes to this window and you have to ok run.
- Takes memory, but have chaning settings it takes less PF
- Takes alot of ram somtimes
- IE7 is the more of the ram hoger than vista its self

PF Optmize...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/786/untitled2ye.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I optmize the PF, before I would get 400MB's just on startup..

Guess the computer specs:
Intel Celeron D 2.66 @ 3.36 @ 1.3V
P4P800-VM
512MB PC3200 @ 210MHZ @ 2.5-3-2-6 @ 2.65V
Ti 4200 @ Shader model 1.3 or 1.6 I think
80GB SATA
350W Dual Rail 12V
DVD Writer

perkam
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Your celeron d is faster than mine :p

Perkam

mike
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow - I saw the oppsite results with a Yonah @ 2.16- took a HUGE 4secs hit in 1ms - and didn't bother looking into it any more. From 28secs to 32secs - both unoptimzed

end3rkid
06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I will use vista when nLite support it

vintage_guitar
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Vista beta 2 is garbage, beware selected D-Link router owners and other with SPI protection that cannot be turned off. The bug is STILL not fixed. That's right folks, NO INTERNET BROWSING!
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=10

X300
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Yea. i'll be posting those How to optize Vista Beta 2, when you first install it. It has almost 40 Prosses runing and 500mbs on PF and 100MBs of ram free out of 512

thunderstruck!
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Yea. i'll be posting those How to optize Vista Beta 2, when you first install it. It has almost 40 Prosses runing and 500mbs on PF and 100MBs of ram free out of 512
Thanks, it'll probably be useful when vista comes out to if the system hogging is not fixed.

Lestat
06-09-2006, 04:06 PM
go into User and Local Security policies, go way down to the last fiew entries in the policies list.
there will be two policies for having a pop up for security things.

turn them to disable and you no longer get the popups.
what it does is set te pop up to always yes when your an administrator.

works great and god damn it M$ needs to remove that stupid thing.

i havent tried to load Vista yet on my Celeron D 310
right now im trying to get her stable past 3.8ghz @ 1.5v but she is being stubborn. i do believe i have maxxed out the FSB on my P4C800-E since there is no Northbridge voltage setting.

i get 45sec 1m Pi @ 3.7ghz ram is 1:1 @ 240mhz ram is set to 400mhz in the bios. FSB is something like 930mhz or 940 or something like that. so i think ive peaked this boards FSB.

mesyn191
06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
God people what is wrong with you, don't use Vista (or even worse a beta...).

Nothing is worth dealing with that DRM, not to mention it really doesn't have anything that is significantly better about it than winXP.

vintage_guitar
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Nothing is worth dealing with that DRM, not to mention it really doesn't have anything that is significantly better about it than winXP.
Except jump drive as RAM which sped it up incredibly, removal of old bios and a new bootloader, not to mention dx10, glass, a new windows media player.. etc

mesyn191
06-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Except jump drive as RAM which sped it up incredibly, removal of old bios and a new bootloader, not to mention dx10, glass, a new windows media player.. etc

The jump drive feature is no big deal, ooo boots a few seconds faster. If this is really a big sell point to you though you should know that the same capability can be added to winXP if they ever decide to release the drivers for it or if the chipset companies decide to do 3rd party implementations. Bear in mind of course you need to have one of the new hard drives with the flash RAM embedded on it, this feature won't work out of the box on just any hardware...

I'd rather have a BIOS thank you very much, nice and simple and it works.

DX10 will be available for winXP.

Areo glass is just a stupid 3D GUI, you might as well go play with window blinds and other such crap if this is impresses you.

WMP sucks, DRM infested, plenty of other free players than can play a MP3 or .wav just as good to you know.

And what etc.? You pretty much listed all the "features" of Vista, not a damn one of them is worth paying money for much less paying to have put up with DRM and an even more annoying activation process.

Lestat
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
jump drive as ram ? how do you do that i havent even heard of that.

i been messing around with Vista for a while but just recently actually got accepted into the Windows Beta team.
i havent seen anything in windows about the 3d desktop i have seen places babbling about. how does that thing even work ? all i have is the glossy theme. i thought they were going to have a full 3-d environment.

im hoping they will accept me into the MS Games studio beta crew
can you say beta 360 games and live games and content yeah!

3NZ0
06-09-2006, 05:41 PM

why not, works fine here, hell im posting from my x2 thats running it now.

And all this bs about DRM, what DRM are you on about?!

Even though im not one to live and die by super pi and other synth benchies, i got a 0.5 second boost on my x2 (need to buy a dvd drive for the p-d lol) :slap: .

And i dont see why eveyone is complaing about ram usage, its there, use it. :fact:

Lestat
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM
it runs like a champ on my Dothan lappy.

it wont even load on my desktop. something about the 7800 GTX it gets to the CDKey screen and the screen is 800x600 @ 8bit color and its nothing but a washed out screen,,, i cant see the cdkey box or anything..

so much for desting it on my 955 Extreme

mesyn191
06-09-2006, 05:52 PM
why not, works fine here, hell im posting from my x2 thats running it now.

And all this bs about DRM, what DRM are you on about?!

Even though im not one to live and die by super pi and other synth benchies, i got a 0.5 second boost on my x2 (need to buy a dvd drive for the p-d lol) :slap: .

And i dont see why eveyone is complaing about ram usage, its there, use it. :fact:

If you knew anything about DRM you wouldn't like it either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

The really worrisome stuff is the TPM crap that it'll support too that is only now starting to get integrated at a chipset level so we won't be able to disable it.

Just cuz something is new does not make it better, and this goes double for a MS OS.

X300
06-09-2006, 07:27 PM
lol woow didnt think I was going to get that much replys. So im working on the guild to optizme Windows vista.. right now its a text.. Soon its going to be pictures.. but Im not on my computer im at my dads with Celeron D 2.53 With windows xp :D

zillaoc
06-09-2006, 08:20 PM
i'm looking forward to seeing some tweaks for it...

I ran beta 1 for a while had some bugs but thats to be expected...

What i dont understand is all the people :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about this OS...

Yes DRM is a bad thing but its not going anywhere, so if we can beta test
these new Os's and try and understand how to disable or work around it
all the better...

Its kinda funny i reamber people :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about windows 2000 and i seem to
rember a ton of b1tching about xp and mmmmm what os are we all running
now???
Hell i was happy when 98 came out 95 was so so bad lol...

I guess my point is WE KNOW ITS BETA!!! :stick:

Either way thanx for the info X300 and after i install it on my other box
ill post some screenz/benchez...

X300
06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
List:
- Non Steam CS1.6 + Hosting software
- Folding Console (Comand Window)
- Avast Home edition
- Clockgen
- CPUZ
- SuperPI 1.5 Mod
- Firefox
- MSN 7.5
- Nvidia 71.Somthing drivers for windows 2000 work for vista

*Some programs that need infromation from your computer.. You have to right click on the program, click on Run as "Administrator", than this window will pop you and saw yes I trust this program*

Programs not working on Vista Beta 2:
- Rivatuner
- Coolbits 2.0

Rocket
06-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I just finished installing Vista beta2 on my 930D.
Infact I`m posting this from Vista. :)

So far it doesn`t like my Asus set-up disk (or the disk doesn`t like Vista...lol)

My XFX disk installed video card drivers for my 7900Gt ok.

I`ll play with if for a few days..... So far I knda like it. Looks good and works a lot better than the beta of Longhorn that I have.

adamant415
06-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I believe the general public are all beta testers for windows. Windows operating systems don't seem to be worth a dayum until a couple of service packs come out for it.

vintage_guitar
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
The jump drive feature is no big deal, ooo boots a few seconds faster. If this is really a big sell point to you though you should know that the same capability can be added to winXP if they ever decide to release the drivers for it or if the chipset companies decide to do 3rd party implementations. Bear in mind of course you need to have one of the new hard drives with the flash RAM embedded on it, this feature won't work out of the box on just any hardware...

I'd rather have a BIOS thank you very much, nice and simple and it works.

DX10 will be available for winXP.

Areo glass is just a stupid 3D GUI, you might as well go play with window blinds and other such crap if this is impresses you.

WMP sucks, DRM infested, plenty of other free players than can play a MP3 or .wav just as good to you know.

And what etc.? You pretty much listed all the "features" of Vista, not a damn one of them is worth paying money for much less paying to have put up with DRM and an even more annoying activation process.
Took me one click to activate, being a beta tester, i payed nothing champ. And it still owns linux =/ Oh.. so that is why it's called a beta! moron.

alpha_tot
06-10-2006, 12:09 AM
What performance rating does your processor get in vista? My 3200+ clawhammer only got a 3.4 i think...Im just curious to see if this performance rating thing is intel biased.

Crosis
06-10-2006, 12:59 AM
On the MS site they said that vista will require 15GB free space to install. How many it really takes on HDD?
I'm asking cause I have 10GB's system partition and I don't want to use Partition Magic :/

FunkyRider
06-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Dothan 2.6 got a an overall rate of 4

And hell yeah 10GB HDD partition works fine here but it will leave nothing for just installing the OS

Lestat
06-10-2006, 01:32 AM
yeah 10gig partition is fine.

it runs VERY fast and good on my dothan lappy.
you wouldnt think it would but you'd be surprised.

damn it this is pissing me off i need to test this on my desktop dang it..

wtf is the deak with the installation screen being all garbled 8bit color where you cant do anything

zillaoc
06-10-2006, 07:17 AM
On the MS site they said that vista will require 15GB free space to install. How many it really takes on HDD?
I'm asking cause I have 10GB's system partition and I don't want to use Partition Magic :/

mine is using 11.4 gigs with only drivers installed lol...

but i have to say so far so good...

i'm running the 64 bit version after i get the rest of my programs installed
ill do some benching...

Crosis
06-10-2006, 07:18 AM
So 10GB for x86 should be enough ;) Thx for answers guys

mesyn191
06-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Took me one click to activate, being a beta tester, i payed nothing champ. And it still owns linux =/ Oh.. so that is why it's called a beta! moron.

You're gonna have to pay eventually, can't use the beta forever, and then you'll run into the new activation system...

Who said anything about Linux?

Nice job calling me names without provocation, always a good way to show off how mature and intelligent you are. :rolleyes:

Yes DRM is a bad thing but its not going anywhere, so if we can beta test
these new Os's and try and understand how to disable or work around it
all the better...

MS is a company like any other, if you don't buy it or use it they will listen to you... Also DRM is built into the OS at kernal and driver levels, any work arounds or hacks will be problematic at best assuming any ever get released.

Its kinda funny i reamber people ing about windows 2000 and i seem to
rember a ton of b1tching about xp and mmmmm what os are we all running
now???
Hell i was happy when 98 came out 95 was so so bad lol...

Anyone else remember that old adage again about what happens when good people do nothing?

Lestat
06-10-2006, 07:31 AM
finally got it installed. still gave me the 8bit loadup screen, hard drive format screen and cd key screen.
i redownloaded it again using the microsoft download manager.

this is the 64bit version, havent tried the 32bit version yet(on this pc atleast)

this is defiantely a cpu tasking os thats for sure.

here is the procedure for disabling those stupid pop-ups for everything you do

(i did this using the new Snip-It tool in Vista.)
Also how to turn off account protection for some other annoying things Vista does.

X300
06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks i'll write that in my guild with your name on it.. Just PM with how to do disable that:D

Lestat
06-10-2006, 11:02 AM
pm with how to disable it ? its right there in the picture

Net_Devil
06-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Lestat i don`t seem to have administrative tools in control panel. How do i get to it ?

PS: Daemon Tools doesn`t work either...

kyleslater
06-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks, it'll probably be useful when vista comes out to if the system hogging is not fixed.

It won't be fixed. Their method for fixing that is to say it requires 1 GB of RAM.

I've not been impressed by the beta yet. I have been impressed by how they fixed bugs though... I complained that 3D mark 2001 SE would not run. next CTP... It worked fine and they as they said it would. So they are trying to fix bugs (even silly ones) but there is a lot of work to do when you change a driver model that drastically... I think they might have bit off more then they could chew for a performance increase that is not easily noted.

kyleslater
06-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Lestat i don`t seem to have administrative tools in control panel. How do i get to it ?

PS: Daemon Tools doesn`t work either...
In control panel? Hmm... that's wierd.. Are they in the start menu? can you enable them in there via the taskbar customization menu?

Oh are you in classic veiw of the Control panel?

3NZ0
06-11-2006, 07:32 AM
If you knew anything about DRM you wouldn't like it either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

The really worrisome stuff is the TPM crap that it'll support too that is only now starting to get integrated at a chipset level so we won't be able to disable it.

Just cuz something is new does not make it better, and this goes double for a MS OS.

'If you knew anything' thanks, but im not stupid, i do know about it.

M$ dont have a choice in the matter, they have to intergrate it, they are being forced by the n00bs at hollywood etc.

And if drm gets out of control there will be an uproar from the consumers, there are some points of it that i find mad, but at the end of they day it comes down to this:

What we want- Buy a cd, rip it, use it, its ours

What they want- Buy a cd, use it on a machine, buy another if we want to use it elsewhere. To that i say :nono: :slapass: :slap: Its not like they arnt making enough money

Net_Devil
06-11-2006, 07:42 AM
kyleslater i found them. I just had to change the view...

kyleslater
06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
kyleslater i found them. I just had to change the view...
Yeah I figured... I had the same problem the first time I went into it.... Too simple.. :D

kais
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
thats cool. celery and vista. :-/

slykens
06-11-2006, 06:11 PM
It won't be fixed. Their method for fixing that is to say it requires 1 GB of RAM.1 GB might be enough to just run the OS, I took a shot at running DOD:S on it with 1 GB and it swapped painfully all the time.

Even mid-game it would swap for a second and lag me horribly.

The UI looks beautiful but I'll stick with XP for performance for now.

I will be buying 2 GB when I upgrade to Conroe next month just to be ready. I do sincerely hope they clear up the performance issues prior to RC1 or even in time for RTM as I would like to run it but the hit is just too much right now.

06-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Ok so this is going to be too big for a 6gig drive I have spare.

Is there a BT for this anywhere, its going to take me forever to download so I'll worry about the serial key or whatever later. The MS server has just taken the file offline

kyleslater
06-11-2006, 07:53 PM
1 GB might be enough to just run the OS, I took a shot at running DOD:S on it with 1 GB and it swapped painfully all the time.

Even mid-game it would swap for a second and lag me horribly.

The UI looks beautiful but I'll stick with XP for performance for now.

I will be buying 2 GB when I upgrade to Conroe next month just to be ready. I do sincerely hope they clear up the performance issues prior to RC1 or even in time for RTM as I would like to run it but the hit is just too much right now.

Yes I've been on the beta since Beta 1 so yeah... A lot of it has to do with the WDDM. Changing driver models that drastically... Well that's dreadful.

mesyn191
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
M$ dont have a choice in the matter, they have to intergrate it, they are being forced by the n00bs at hollywood etc.

If you really believe that I don't know what to say to you. The RIAA and MPAA cannot force MS to do anything, they have no authority in any way shape or form. What they've tried to do is push through laws in US congress and various other gov. abroad but just because they try it doesn't mean it'll go through, and 2 can play that game and ultimately MS has a multi billion dollar account on hand to fund whatever policy push they decide to support.

MS supports DRM because it benefits them, plain and simple...