PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded "Disk read error" solution?

Richie P
06-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Anyone had the dreaded "disk read error" with playstation 2 disks? My bro's PS2 is so bad that it wont play any games any more - even brand new ones?! I've tried putting read lense cleaner disks through the ps2 and even taken it apart to clear dust and give it a bit of an overhaul but no luck...

Any suggestions?

don_vercetti
06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

that let me watch dvd's again on my ps2, everythng else worked fine, now DVD's do as well. I got a disc read error as well. Certainly worth a try, and very easy to do.

Richie P
06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

that let me watch dvd's again on my ps2, everythng else worked fine, now DVD's do as well. I got a disc read error as well. Certainly worth a try, and very easy to do.

Perfect. Thanks a lot for that info - i'll try that when i see my brother next.

Just make sure i get something straight...When turning the screw clockwise, it raises the lense and eventually clicks to the bottom, and the guide suggests to turn the screw until the lense is at it's lowest position and test it from there?

don_vercetti
06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah clockwise raises the lens. I did what the guide said, started from the bottom. Worked a treat.

Don't be phased if the design of the CD Drive is a little different from the guide, that little screw should be around somewhere.

Richie P
06-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Okey ta very much - i'll post back my experiences. Might be a while tho, i'm not planning on seeing him till July at the earliest.

Thanks again for your help :)

payne280
06-10-2006, 11:42 PM
I need to do this on my PS2, I have a defective issue of the PS2 so my hopes aren't that high

Richie P
06-11-2006, 07:48 AM
I know it's a very common problem so i thought it might help a few other people as well :)

Reznik Akime
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I ended up having to adjust the pots on mine at one point. The cog would help, but only to an extent. It was not untill I adjusted the power to my laser that I got it to read right again.

Richie P
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Care posting how you did this? How succesful was it?