PDA

View Full Version : Windows Partition Block Size

ecarlcl
06-09-2006, 12:36 AM
What is a good method to prepare a windows partition with a block size you want since you cant choose it in windows setup? I run an intel raid array with 3 37gb WD Raptors. I want to run a 64k block size on the windows partition.

I tried loading windows on an alternate hard drive and using disk manager I formatted the raid array accordingly. Then in windows setup I chose to leave the filesystem intact and then after the first reboot in windows setup my system wouldnt boot off the raid array saying "disk read error" but when I format with windows setup it works just fine. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Durzel
10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm having the same problem with a 32KB stripe/16KB cluster partition. Did you ever resolve this?

alfaunits
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Windows requires a 4K cluster partition to be the partiton with NTLDR (the boot disk's active partition). You can install Winodws on any partition though.
Regardless of what clusters you choose, the stripe size can be any. Consider, 16K stripe sizes, that should be the fastest one for OS disk for 3 disk configuration, or 32K for 2 disk configuration