PDA

View Full Version : Xflow Dual 120 Black Ice GT or no Xflow Dual 120 Black Ice GT?

josh6079
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Does Xflow provide any better performance?

sdkevin
06-08-2006, 09:47 PM
compared to what?

CedricFP
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I think that the X-Flows are single pass radiators, so no, they will not perform better than a non-X-Flow (which is a dual pass.)

However, I may be mistaken.

Sneaky
06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
the x-flow radiators provide better performance for loops with weaker pumps, as the pressure drop of a single-pass rad is half that of a dual-pass rad

otherwise, the plain BIX will always win if you have a good pump

ReD.SkY
06-08-2006, 11:43 PM
according to sneaky's theory, the pressure drop of a single fan, dual pass rad is equal to 1 (speaking in a matter of units)

BIGT = 1 pressure drop
BIGTXflow = 1/2 pressure drop

so youre sayin that 2 BIGTxflow's in series will have the pressure drop on one BIGT, but will have the surface area of a BIGT240. you according to your statement, 2 x BIGTxflow's will perform better, and have less pressure drop than a BIGT240

arguing over :D

MaxxxRacer
06-09-2006, 12:16 AM
according to sneaky's theory, the pressure drop of a single fan, dual pass rad is equal to 1 (speaking in a matter of units)

BIGT = 1 pressure drop
BIGTXflow = 1/2 pressure drop

so youre sayin that 2 BIGTxflow's in series will have the pressure drop on one BIGT, but will have the surface area of a BIGT240. you according to your statement, 2 x BIGTxflow's will perform better, and have less pressure drop than a BIGT240

arguing over :D

sorry.. you're just plain wrong. you did NOT account for fitting losses or tubing losses which are very significant. You also did not account for the fact that the water velocity in the Xflows is 1/2 that of the dual pass GT's which is a horrible design flaw on HWlabs part. So 2x BIGT Xflows will NOT equal a BIGT240 in performance. It would more likely be a good 20-35% lower performance, while costing more, be more prone to failure and leaks (based on the fact that there are just more components)

Also, the Xflows do not server ANY purpose for low flow setups. X-flow rads perform worse at low flow rates than the 2pass versions and do NOT improve flow that much at such low flow rates, especially when the cause of the low flow is from the waterblocks.

So in short, X-flow is the biggest waste of money to ever exist short of the bigwater.

CedricFP
06-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Why on earth did they even create such a useless rad to begin with?

Fuzzy_3D
06-09-2006, 01:42 AM
So in short, X-flow is the biggest waste of money to ever exist short of the bigwater.

And they charge more for them than regular GTs.

You are however forgetting that the X-Flow will, in some setups, reduce the amount of tubing required, so thats......good.

MaxxxRacer
06-09-2006, 07:46 AM
You are however forgetting that the X-Flow will, in some setups, reduce the amount of tubing required, so thats......good.

keyword there is SOME.. and it would only be an advantage if it were to reduce the tubing by several feet.. which is about what most ppl have all to gether if they have an internal setup.

tommrussell
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM

does this include the pa 160 as it is a "cross flow" design

Marci
06-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Why on earth did they even create such a useless rad to begin with?

Because despite those in the know insisting they were pointless, retail customers out there still insisted they wanted singlepass rads, so HWLabs met demand. Whether it's any good or not, if there's demand for it, and you want to make money, then make it. Muppets will buy it. Those in the know will sigh and shake their heads at market pollution and duff marketing / science.

And no, it doesn't include the PA160. It was designed to be single pass from day one, rather than being a dual pass with it's tanks removed and x-flow tanks attached in their place.

See http://www.over-clock.com/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=21

tommrussell
06-09-2006, 08:44 AM
And no, it doesn't include the PA160. It was designed to be single pass from day one, rather than being a dual pass with it's tanks removed and x-flow tanks attached in their place.

See http://www.over-clock.com/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=21

marci i had a 160 and enjoyed the performance but traded up to the 120.2 and lowered the load temps by a couple of deg

josh6079
06-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys, I've decide to get this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=4537

the regular Dual 120 Black Ice GT rather than that Xflow. I just didn't know if it cost more because of the way the have to make it or if it actually performs better. You guys helped (again).

JoeBar
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
:lol2:

Fuzzy_3D
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
keyword there is SOME.. and it would only be an advantage if it were to reduce the tubing by several feet.. which is about what most ppl have all to gether if they have an internal setup.

My point is, your origional conclusion was correct.

Thanks guys, I've decide to get this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=4537

the regular Dual 120 Black Ice GT rather than that Xflow. I just didn't know if it cost more because of the way the have to make it or if it actually performs better. You guys helped (again).

Well, it is "The Most advanced PC Radiator PERIOD!"

ReD.SkY
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
ofcourse i was plain out wrong, i was watching southpark, at 2:30am and typing with my eyes closed, and half asleep.

Im not nocturnal like creidiki.

dietwaterrr
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
ofcourse i was plain out wrong, i was watching southpark, at 2:30am and typing with my eyes closed, and half asleep.

Im not nocturnal like creidiki.

LOL!

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
creidiki's not nocturnal, he just never sleeps!

ReD.SkY
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
eh, whats the difference?

ReD.SkY
06-09-2006, 06:59 PM
gah oops.... i couldve sworn i hit the edit button

Aramdin
08-10-2006, 07:51 AM
I also want to know, has anyone empirical results of the XFlow version vs. the non-Xflow version? Here in Holland I can buy an Xflow for the same price as an normal version. With my setup in mind (check sig), which will yield better results?

creidiki
08-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes. XFlow performs worse in every case and doesnt offer lower flow resistance, at all.

And anyone who knows their rad design can tell you ther idea that they perform better at lower flows is flawed, they need 2x the in-loop flow to have the same per-pipe flow, and hence same efficiency.

Basically, X-Flows are completely useless and nothing but a waste of cash.

http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=17958

From Radical_53's tests:

1 - Flow Restrictivity - flow set at 4lpm at pump, measured after radiator. % loss shown - smaller the loss, better the flow... listed best to worst.

Least Restrictive to flow...

* ThermoChill PA120.3 - 6%
* Watercool HTFX3-x - 14%
* HWLabs BlackIce GT360 - 17%
* HWLabs BlackIce GT360 XFlow - 17%
* HWLabs BlackIce Xtreme - 17%
* HWLabs BlackIce Xtreme XFlow - 17%
* Watercool HTSF - 17%
* Cooltek MCR320 - 18%
* NexXxos Xtreme - 23%
* NexXxos Pro - 27%

...most restrictive to flow

Radical_53
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
@aramdin: We checked two X-Flow versions, just to be sure that we would see the same difference in performance. Both times, when compared to the dual pass equivalent, X-Flow lost by quite a margin. Also, quite strangely, pressure drop was not lower on our test bed. So it really doesn't make sense to go for it. You definitely won't win that much performance with 1-2 feet of tubing you might need less as you lose by going X-Flow.

Aramdin
08-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Nice, this is some info we can use. Thx for the heads up :worship: