PDA

View Full Version : 2.4b, X700 Pro, PC2700 RAM.. Bottleneck?

richnewman
06-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Here's my setup:

Intel Pentium 2.4b (2.4GHz Northwood)
ATI Radeon X700 Pro AGP (DD3 256MB)
2x512MB PC2700 RAM

So my question is.. Is there a bottleneck here?

I'm getting an MSI 865PE Neo2-LS motherboard and plan on overclocking my CPU to at least 3GHz.

The board supports DDR 400 Dual Channel RAM, which I want.. but I'm upgrading in not too long, so I don't really want to spend that much money.

I'm willing to overclock my video card, and I'm considering buying a new cooler for it. The highest tempurature it's reached is about 55c, so I considered getting a CoolerMaster CoolViva... which seems to get mixed reviews, but it's on sale for $9.99 (I'm ordering stuff anyway, so shipping won't be screwing me) and my case has some nice airflow, and I want to put fans in the side pannel facing the VGA cooler, so I figure it should work better than the :banana::banana::banana::banana: ATI has on my X700 Pro... even if it's not the best cooler around.

So, what would I want? Is it worth buying the VGA cooler, overclocking my video card, or would it not help much considering my CPU and RAM? I'd like to keep the warranty on my X700 Pro, so if I'm getting something damn good out of overclocking it, I'd prefer not to.