PDA

View Full Version : DIY Dorm Style Frig, Computer Case??

Sproket
02-24-2003, 01:47 PM
I think this is a good idea, someone out there must of already tried this. Im considering water cooling but it will get exspensive, like $300 for a good system including White Water.

I was going to get a Dorm Refrig to put the rad, res, and pump in there. But then I was thinking about condensation and then I thought WHY NOT make the Frig my computer case. Everything gets cold, SB, NB, CPU, Memory, all chips, everything. I would use round IDE cables and put cdrom and dvd burner outside of frig. Everything else inside. Power supply could go outside also if necessary.

??What you think, dont have to worry about condensation and only cost $78.00 for a brand new Dorm Frig at Lowes! ??

Thats another thing I found out. I was calling Pawn shops and Applaince stores and newspaper, evryone wants forty dollars or more for a used Frig. Lowes has them brand new and they use 285-321 Kwh per year. Thats 26.11 per year based on 8.5 cents per kwh. Keeper said that his uses $10 per month.

Sproket

PimpJack
02-26-2003, 01:19 PM
A frig can't support a heat LOAD such as a computer or anything else that gives off heat. Think about anything u keep in the fridge... nothing gives off heat it just sits there. It seems like a great idea just putting a comp in the fridge and having it at close to freezing temps but it just doesn't work out that way. ur fridge will instanly become warm.

wymjym
02-28-2003, 04:00 PM
I hope that a more powerful compressor would in fact keep things cool. Not freezing, just cooler.
Anyone out there well versed in the appropriate formulae??
wj

Keeper
02-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Actually mine is running a little more than $10 a month, that’s the round figure I use to keep my wife happy. I also am just cooling water with it.

wymjym
03-02-2003, 12:32 PM
wrong post, sorry