PDA

View Full Version : Conroe and overclokability.

CedricFP
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
With the huge overclocking we have seen from the Conroe chips that are about XS, I started to wonder:

Would Intel ever limit the overclockability (either through the mainboard, or directly through the CPU)? I mean, is this even possible?

With 6700's hitting 4GHZ, it makes me wonder why anybody would by the X6800 over the E6700?

Because if what we have seen is only going to be limited, then it would make sense that once Conroe hits the shelves, to get that QLLO stepping of the E6700 because it overclocks so damn well.

However, I don't particularly want to do this, as prices will be hugely inflated in the first few weeks, but is there a chance that chips produced after the first batch will not be as overclock-friendly?

Thanks for your input in advance.

metro.cl
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
nope oc only afects a really low % of the market and also is a plus for a cpu.

intel will take the lead with conroe but then amd will come back and oc margin can be a factor to go for intel (when they need it)

[TAG]Imp
06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
nah, they wouldn't limit it, that would be shooting themselves in the foot...

SoulGG
06-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Possible, but will never happen

ibby
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Remmber overclocking voids your warranty :spam:

Shpoon
06-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Remmber overclocking voids your warranty :spam:

Lol..like anyone would admit it ;)

CedricFP
06-08-2006, 04:07 AM
So, with previous CPU history in mind, what is the likely response in overclockability as time goes on?

I know that in the GPU market, specifically with the X19 series, some of the later batches were much better clockers.

Mainly, why I am asking is because these QLLO steppings seem to be gems, and assuming they are the batches that are first being sold, I want to jump on 4 GHZ!!! However, the huge inflation will leave me in a whole, and there is no guarantee that the 6700 I buy will be QLLO (B0 rev)...

SO, I'm wondering, is this QLLO a gem stepping, kind of like the 0608MPWM for Opties, and whether or not its going to be a once-in-a-blue-moon style overclocking beast...

Because if the common consensus here on (quite possibly) the most tech-informed community on the net, then I'm afraid I will be emptying my wallet.

onewingedangel
06-08-2006, 07:32 AM
intels steppings seem to rather more consistent than amd's, so overclocks tend to just get better as time goes on.

^don.k's^
06-08-2006, 07:42 AM
As said, normally on intel, OCability goes raising from the beginning. Earliest prescott could just do over 3,8-4ghz on air/water, now prescotts do over 4,5ghz on air/water.

Ill wait for the first retail 6700's to get one.( if ES arent unlocked upward... )

I shame on the so low multiplier this conroe has, we surely be limited by mb till 500+fsb mobos appear... :( (at least on 10x or lower multiplier )

Torin
06-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Eventually they may very well lockdown the overclockability of all components with the Trusted Computing platform, which Intel is very much involved in. But for now, the very top end overclocking of computer parts is nothing more than extra and free advertising for AMD, Intel, ATI and nVidia.

GoldenTiger
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Eventually they may very well lockdown the overclockability of all components with the Trusted Computing platform, which Intel is very much involved in. But for now, the very top end overclocking of computer parts is nothing more than extra and free advertising for AMD, Intel, ATI and nVidia.

No shens, that's exactly what I was thinking.