PDA

View Full Version : Which card should I break?

Cazzzidy
02-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, but not new to overclocking. I must say, Xtreme Systems has the best damn OC forum on the net. This place is rad!!

With that out of the way (being my first post and all), I can move onto the question at hand.

I am building a second computer for me to mess with. It is going to have an incredibly powerful peltier cooling system, with water to cool the pelt. I have about $600 to spend on cooling equipment, so I want to make this thing very, very good.

Sense I will be spending so much on cooling, the parts are going to be of the cheaper variety. I will be using an nForce2 motherboard (still havent decided yet), a 1700+ TB Rev B, 256 to 512 megs of PC3500, and a cheap hard drive. Basically, I want to feel comfortable playing with the extreme cooling system knowing that I wont be damaging a $300 chip if I make a mistake. I have a 2700+ A7N8X DX system... but I want to keep it safe from myself.

So I am wondering... what is the best video card for under $100? I dont really care about which gets more bang for the buck, I want a card that has a slew of information and mods available. I want to try volt mods and new BIOSs, etc. Something that I can really tool around with. Right now, I am thinking about getting a GF4 MX440? But am I correct in that it doesnt support Direct X 8.1 features?

Well, enough about me... what would you guys suggest? Any other general recomendations for the puter I am building?

:toast:

Charles Wirth
02-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Welcome to XtremeSystems, thanks for the kind words.

Ti4200's are getting close to 100 bucks now.

Cazzzidy
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the reply... I was thinking a TI4200 would be good too.

I cazn justify more like $150 on the card... so which version would you recomend? MSI, ASUS, POWER COLOR? 4X or 8X? 128 or 64?

Charles Wirth
02-24-2003, 11:13 AM
128MB version for sure, what brand depends on budget, availability, and bundle.

Cazzzidy
02-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Okay, 128 it is...

I dont care about bundle... I want the card that has the highest possibility of good silicone. I want to get the card that overclocks the best and has a good amount of vmods and tweaks available.

What are peoples best choices, regardless of price. I hear Hercules makes a strong card.. ?

Cazzzidy
02-24-2003, 03:48 PM
After scouring these forums for a bit, I see that Abit reportadly makes a very good TI4200. I will look into them...

Thanks guys!

naughty_guy
02-24-2003, 07:06 PM
As a general trend, at my local stores, ASUS graphx cards tends to be really expensive.. but i dunoo how the price is it over at your place. But one thing i know pretty good is that ASUS makes good quality Graphic cards, but not always great overclockers.

Regards