PDA

View Full Version : A little summer project...

Vice
06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Over the summer, i was planning on getting a thermaltake armor case, but then realized i still wouldnt be able to mount my trip rad inside it, since i need 2-4 drive bays. So i searched bit-tech.net forums and came up with this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/MrMage/Side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/MrMage/caseopen.jpg

Then it hit me. I could so something like that. I would have plenty of space for everything i needed and then some. Don't go taller vice, go wider. Then i got to wondering.. would it help my temps if i had two triple radiators, or would the overall lower flow rate hurt them? I mean, i could fit it, so, why not? I would line the case/s with acoustic damening matting to nulify the sound to immerse myself in the quietness, while still getting some nice temps. I know i would have to extending the length of my tubing, so i dont know how that will again, affect performance. I would outfit the front of both cases with custom acrylic or plexiglass doors, so they each matched, then possibly replaced the left case's side panel with a plexi glass piece so you could see through them both(left case would hold the wc stuff, right case would be my mobo etc, lined side to side). Would also replace the back of the left case with acrylic/plexi glass.Would i have to do a double pump set up?

Just wondering what you guys think of this.

Fuzzy_3D
06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
If you had a Quad CPU and Quad SLI setup, 2 Tripple rads might help. Otherwise, if everyone gets by with Dual rads, then two tripples would be overkill, and whould probably just decrease overall flow.

But I suppose this is "Xtreme Systems", so go ahead, give it a shot.

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
dual triples would be extremely extreme, and would be well-matched with an RD-30 at full power :)
its a cool idea, but how does it differ frm, say, buying a U2-UFO? UFOs are natively compatible with thermochill 120.3 rads...
and radboxen are always an idea...
it is, however, a really cool looking mod. If you've got the time, money, and skill, it'd be an amazing piece of work!

creidiki
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Nope, youre quite correct, youll struggle to see any temp difference on an SLi/CF rig going from one (good) triple rad to 2 triples, because there isnt enough heatload to outweigh the extra restriction.

Dual triple rads is something that makes sense when you have TECs, because TECs will easily double your heatload or more.

Vice
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Heh, the simple reason I wont, and cant get a ufo is because its like what... $200+? Heh, an extra case, well the one i have anyway, would be $70, plus plexiglass, plus some tubing.. barley over $100...hopefully.

But about the pump, should I go double pumps because im thinking about putting in a chipset block, contrary to what everyone says about them not helping at all.

So i wouldnt see any performance with two triple rads? Ill probably have two d5's, which would mean more heat, though i would rather two 50z's if i have the cash. I already have one d5 so.. I will soon be getting a crossfire setup, so ill have a lot of added heat. But even if i dont get that right away, which I wont, most likely christmas time, will my temps still improve with two triple rads? Can someone explain why adding another trip rad wont help my temps? i cant seem to grasp the logic in that.

I also do not want to mount my rad outside my case anymore. It looks to ghetto for me and cheap, like I didnt put effort into it.

Fuzzy_3D
06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Can someone explain why adding another trip rad wont help my temps? i cant seem to grasp the logic in that.

In general, a rad will only lower your water temp to your environment temp (lets not get into windchill factors). If you have a good rad that cools water to room temp after one pass, a second rad would be redundant, as it cannot reduce the temp of the water any further.

Vice
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I currently have a hwlabs triple radiator, thinking of upgrading to the newer ones, or getting two.

creidiki
06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
that too... but tha main factor is that rads are quite restrictive, especially triples. if you add another rad, the water has to be hot enough that itll lower temps more than the extra restriction raises them.

extreme case was dnottis who added a single rad to his existing single rad on a 2 block system and saw no temp improvement...

Vice
06-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, one rad then. Is the new triple rad from hwlabs anygood? I keep hearing mixed reviews.

Since im going to add a chipset block and quite a few feet of extra tubing, would it be wise to add an extra pump? Im just worried about the extra heatdump from another d5. I have on already, but depending on my cash situation when this all comes into play, ill try to replace it with two 50z's

creidiki
06-06-2006, 06:54 PM
yeah, doubling up on D5s aint the best of ideas, id say get 2 ddcs but with the top theyre even more expensive.

Vice
06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
What would be the benifits of a double pump system ? And what are the pros/cons of mixing pumps ?

creidiki
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
When you put them in series you double the max head. Mixing pumps yelds... unpredictable results.

Vice
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Max head would do... what exactly?

Sorry, my knowledge of pumps is no where close to adequate.

Okda
06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
then u need to read the stickies ;)

creidiki
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
You should read some the link in the pump sticky then... but basically max pressure the pump can create, which determines max flow in restrictive environments like loops. Its an oversimplification but you could say its the most important stat for a wc pump.

Vice
06-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah i after i reread my post last night.. i thought, if someone asked this, i would say to go read the stickies... so thats what i did

Fresh Daemon
06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Returning to the dual rads question - why not a monstercore, with weapon shroud, mounted in the side of one of the cases? Would it fit?

Vice
06-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah it would fit. What would be the benifit of that over a trip rad ?

creidiki
06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
More cooling power if youre willing to go above Yates as far as CFM goes.

Exactly where the crossover point is, no idea :)