PDA

View Full Version : How to mount a CPU cooler on northbridge?

CyNix
02-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Just bought myself a retail 1700+ tbredB. I already have a thermalright slk800 and I'm not going to use the stock heatsink. I plan to use it as my northbridge cooler. I'm running an abit nf7-s @210 (1.7vdd). The northbridge gets pretty hot and the stock chipset cooler is a POS. Now, take my stock 1700+ heatsink and drill 2 holes on it isn't a problem for me. Problem is, how am I going to mount it on the chipset? Use screws and nuts? I don't think AS epoxy is strong enough to hold the heatsink(it's pretty heavy). I need suggestions/advices/guidance from you guys.
Thanx

KnightElite
02-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Nuts and Bolts are probably the way to go. About the only other option is to trust the AS Epoxy.

felix88
02-24-2003, 01:02 AM
i'm sure the AS epoxy can handle the heatsink, but i'd prefer mounting it using screws since it'll be easier to remove.

if you're going to epoxy it on, look into Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive, it's not electrically conductive like the AS epoxy is.

Tommo
02-24-2003, 05:29 PM
I fitted an AMD retail heatsink to my Northbridge - had to trim it a little first (using a hacksaw). Drilled two holes and bolted it to mobo, with plastic washers underneath because PCB tracks ran very close to the holes. I noticed the top of my Northbridge (KT333) was slightly concave (I think this is normal) so thermal paste wouldn't have given good contact. I left the AMD heat pad on the heatsink and used that instead.

Runs without a fan - seems OK!

EdgarBaba
02-25-2003, 11:54 PM
also try an intel retail cooler.. use a saw to fit iti and then fit a 60mm fan on top.. can't get it cheaper and it sure works

Royal Oaks
02-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Yea I use epoxy for all my cooling mods. I got this little setup working now for my NB. Retail AMD fan with a Vantec Iceberg heatsink. I think I am gonna try it out on my NB for awhile, then I might put it on whatever video card I get soon. I got a few heatsinks that I might try on the NB, but I gotta see which is better first ;).

CyNix
02-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Tommo
Drilled two holes and bolted it to mobo, with plastic washers underneath because PCB tracks ran very close to the holes.

What do you mean by 'bolted it to mobo'?
Mind to show me a pic?

felix88
03-01-2003, 01:59 AM
CyNix, some motherboards have mounting holes around the chip(or in this case, chipset). you can use these holes to bolt the HSF on.

CyNix
03-02-2003, 02:26 AM
Okay. Is this setup going to work out? Or do I need to add 2 springs (like alpha 8045) or stand-off between the heatsink and the mounting hole??

Svenn
03-02-2003, 09:14 AM
I just wanna know how you get the holes on a cpu heatsink to line up with the NB holes. Are they the same distance as two corners of the cpu?

KnightElite
03-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
I just wanna know how you get the holes on a cpu heatsink to line up with the NB holes. Are they the same distance as two corners of the cpu?

No, you have to drill new hole through the base of the heatsink if you want it to work.

felix88
03-03-2003, 01:35 AM
CyNix, i don't think you'll need any springs. those are just there to protect the die of the CPU from too much pressure.

CyNix
03-03-2003, 01:24 PM
So that setup will work just fine rite? :)