PDA

View Full Version : Is it time?

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Is it time to sell off older parts? Is the Conroe really coming within the next couple of days (I saw a yahoo.com article saying it was being officially announced today!?)? Or is it still time to wait before selling off my X2 3800+ CPU and mobo/RAM? I don't want to get caught losing out on all of the value of the parts, but at the same time, it is my only rig at the moment, so I don't want to go without a computer too long. Thoughts? Thanks!

Torin
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Not released until July 23rd.

couppi
06-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Maybe sell it all off like 2 weeks before or something manageable.

cronic
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
depending on what you are selling, the longer you wait the more you stand to lose on your current hardware. I personally sold my amd equipment several weeks back, and it seems that the price on preowned amd stuff is steadily falling. so i am glad i didn't wait, but its up to you.

Torin
06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I would sell my AMD rig now and get a holdover Intel CPU until Conroe comes out, but being that the P965 boards have just been released, it's gonna be at least a few days until we see which boards are worth purchasing.

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Adding to the trouble is I need an mATX board to be able to support Conroe :(. I use an X-Qpack system. Will those 965 boards be coming out in the next few days as well? I have no qualms with a holdover P-D 805 or something. I want to have as little downtime as possible because as I said it is my *ONLY* rig, so the main thing to wait on is a microATX board for Conroe with good overclocking features. Anyone know when these are *supposedly* coming out? Or is it like the Conroe where people have no real idea but keep saying random dates?

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Not released until July 23rd.

I've heard quotes all over the map for when it will be released... but I saw a yahoo article last night saying they were launching/announcing them today at some point during the Computex show :confused: , so I don't know what to believe.

cronic
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I've heard quotes all over the map for when it will be released... but I saw a yahoo article last night saying they were launching/announcing them today at some point during the Computex show :confused: , so I don't know what to believe.

July 23rd is the date that they launch. They are announceing that at computex.

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM
July 23rd is the date that they launch. They are announceing that at computex.

Pfffft, typical Yahoo and various people, quoting early dates that aren't the actual launch. Thanks... I might wait until early July to do the switch then, because by then I could just go for a week or so without a computer until the Conroe actually comes out, and it would probably take a few days for the parts to move anyway, lessening the wait. Although maybe I'll just try to sell in the next few days and use a friend's notebook as a placeholder (for web browsing at least!).

Pandamonia
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
u wont see conroe for months so im hearing.

rumor has it that based on intel output, dell and so on will swallow up every CPU and there will be none left for retail.

amd are banking on poor supply to keep selling CPU's demand will outstrip supply in july.

CompGeek
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Well, seems like EVERYONE is planning to sell in the couple of weeks before launch. I predict a total crash in AMD 939 prices in the couple weeks before launch, the pre-owned market will be flooded, everyone will be looking to sell and upgrade - no one to buy.

Just my prediction, thats why I paid a ripoff for an Conroe ES and sold early ;), I may actually come out ahead of where I would've.

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 04:35 PM

rumor has it that based on intel output, dell and so on will swallow up every CPU and there will be none left for retail.

amd are banking on poor supply to keep selling CPU's demand will outstrip supply in july.

... OK... I'll assume this is sarcasm and trolling and ignore it...

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, seems like EVERYONE is planning to sell in the couple of weeks before launch. I predict a total crash in AMD 939 prices in the couple weeks before launch, the pre-owned market will be flooded, everyone will be looking to sell and upgrade - no one to buy.

Just my prediction, thats why I paid a ripoff for an Conroe ES and sold early ;), I may actually come out ahead of where I would've.

Yeah, I know :(. I'm moving toward the end of June/early July, so that really screws things up for when I can sell and buy... plus of course I really want a computer around during that time so I have something to release my stress with ;).

CompGeek
06-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I suggest you follow my lead :D

Shpoon
06-06-2006, 04:56 PM
So about what date would someone in Canada (me) probably be able to get a hold of a Conroe E6600 and a board?

perkam
06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
The longer you wait, the longer it'll take to sell.

The forums will be ferocious to AMD X2 owners, knowing that $183 conroe's beat them, don't expect any mercy price wise.

Be prepared to sell your X2 for half the price you bought it for if you don't sell it before conroe releases.

HOWEVER Conroe won't be in full swing until q4 2006.

Perkam

couppi
06-06-2006, 05:28 PM

Intel has had months to stockpile cpus. They've cut prices on netburst to make way for conroe. They don't make any money if they don't sell anything :nono:

GoldenTiger
06-06-2006, 07:40 PM
The longer you wait, the longer it'll take to sell.

The forums will be ferocious to AMD X2 owners, knowing that $183 conroe's beat them, don't expect any mercy price wise.

Be prepared to sell your X2 for half the price you bought it for if you don't sell it before conroe releases.

HOWEVER Conroe won't be in full swing until q4 2006.

Perkam

I bought it in July 2005 heh, paid over $400 for it if I recall correctly :D . It's been a great CPU, but I think it's time we parted ways in the next couple of weeks :(.