PDA

View Full Version : New 8rda mod... The capacitor mod

youthemandan
02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
On my own board I have doubled the capacitance on the output Vregs that produce Vcore.

On the board there a 6x 6v 3300uf caps next to the CPU socket.

I soldered another 6 onto the back of the board (matching polarity) this seemed to let me OC slightly higher and gave a small Vcore increase measured with a multimeter, probably due to the smoothed output.

If you can find some caps this might be worth a try. smaller caps might work, just make sure there rated at a decent voltage.

glock19owner
02-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Have any pics of your board with the mod?

sjohnson
02-24-2003, 04:53 AM
I hope some electronics guru will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, for best results you want to add different uf-rated capacitors to the existing caps.

The way it was explained to me is that one capacity filters one band of the noise spectrum and another capacity filters another.

If true, how to choose what rating has always escaped me.

JPP
02-24-2003, 06:24 AM
increasing the capacitance to high might be dangerous. Because when switching on the PC the high capacitance may draw a very high peak curent from the source / regulaters and cause a overload to the source / regulater.
Regarding the noise / riple of the voltage it is possible to filter it out by adding parasitic caps in parallel to the large caps. But as you where mentioning the capacity value needed depends on the frequency of the noise / ripple. In general the added caps should be of the same quality which means capacity value, ESR, surge current etc.
If you find caps with higher quality the best would be to replace the present ones also.
JPP

k1114
02-26-2003, 11:33 PM
I am very interested in this, both for my site and for myself. :D

youthemandan
02-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Sorry no pics guys

k1114
02-28-2003, 09:41 PM
no pics? how about the exact caps you used? a diagram?

I suppose we will have to wait for someone else to do this.