PDA

View Full Version : Thermal interface - goop - AS5 no longer the best?

Stigma
06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I want to get some input on this...

For a long time I've only been using AS5 and haven't really been looking for alternatives... however, when I look thorugh some reviews now I come across 2 new products that seem to beat the AS5 quite soundly actually:

The not-much-known Coolermaster nanofusion:
http://reviews.pcapex.com/cooling/nanofusion_thermal_compound.php

And the absolutely weirdest (but apparently very effective) goop I've seen so far:
http://www.obengware.com/uji/coollaboratory.htm

So what is the community's verdict on these? Do they have any merit? is AS5 no onger king of the hill, or is there something I'm just not seeing here? =)

-Stigma

mion
06-04-2006, 06:50 PM
if you didn't notice the coolmaster nanofusion is nanofusion vs. arctic silver 3. So nanofusion is not better than as5

As goes for liquid metal, it is the very weird. I got it last week, It is hard to apply, I don't even know if I applied it right. Though I got few C drop

Vice
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I want to try out this liquid metal stuff. just not sure if it will eat my copper heatsink or my cpu.

einCe
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
thrilla made some of his own non corrosive liquid metal tim, see if hes still got some

[XC] DragonOrta
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
thrilla made some of his own non corrosive liquid metal tim, see if hes still got some

Oh yeah, I remember that now. That was when he had just joined and was waiting to get a patent for it or something before he sent it out to anyone. And then he got that wierd looking waterblock from somewhere.

Digz
06-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Akasa have a new one

Akasa AK-TC5022 Pro-Grade+ Thermal paste

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=251

Seufari
06-05-2006, 04:35 PM
man... I still have not gotten my first tube of AS5.

I am still using some silver stuff that I got at a local shop, I figure it may or may not be similar to AS5, IDK I have never seen it...

Stigma
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
If its not AS, but its "silver" ie. says its silver, or has silver in the name - chances are you have some ghetto stuff thats trying to ride on the brand name of artic silver (like adidos sneakers hehe), and it probably isn't any better than the generic white silicone goop.

I'd really like to try that liquid metal stuff... it seems to have gotten some great reviews. I'm just a bit scared at putting that stuff on my expensive copper coolers. After seeing how that thing can litterally dissolve aluminum in a few minutes, I have to ask myself if its not going to corrode my copper stuff after a few months or whatever.

Feeback form people who have used it would be greatly appreciated =)

-Stigma

Kain XS
06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
The second one seems to be interesting.

But, it also seems to be electric conductive?
Not long time ago, there was a liquid interface which seemed to be better than AS5 but it was very dangerous so people did not get it.

shadowing
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Overall... there are reasons to believe why AS5 can be considered the "best".

The problem with metal liquid paste is that it is essentially corrosive. As a previous post mentions a non corrosive one, that would be the pinnacle... However, it isn't out.

AS5 can still be considered king when we reach lower levels of temperature.

Kain XS
06-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Overall... there are reasons to believe why AS5 can be considered the "best".

The problem with metal liquid paste is that it is essentially corrosive. As a previous post mentions a non corrosive one, that would be the pinnacle... However, it isn't out.

AS5 can still be considered king when we reach lower levels of temperature.
Thats why it was dangerous.
Many people bought it and had problems later.
Finally, people need to know what they are buying before using it.

Seufari
06-06-2006, 03:15 AM
If its not AS, but its "silver" ie. says its silver, or has silver in the name - chances are you have some ghetto stuff thats trying to ride on the brand name of artic silver (like adidos sneakers hehe), and it probably isn't any better than the generic white silicone goop.

-Stigma

Yeah, it just says "Silver Thermal Compound for CPU use"

As soon as I get everything installed more permenantly and dont plan on upgrading for a while, I'll invest in some AS5 or whatever is considered top dog...

Stigma
06-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Well it probably won't do any harm after all... even generic goop is quite adequate for most applications, and its only really produces a few degrees more on the core. AS5 is mainly just for people who tweak every last thing to drop another degree off load temps =P

-Stigma

Torin
06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
I think AS5 is still the best in terms of heat transfer and temps, but I moved to AS:Ceramique some time ago since AS5 conducts electrivity, and didn't want to risk shorting something out with my waterblock.

creidiki
06-06-2006, 07:00 AM
then you moved for the wrong reason. as5 is an non-conductive as ceramique, but it is slighly capacitative.

Torin
06-06-2006, 07:12 AM
That's probably what I meant.

creidiki
06-06-2006, 07:19 AM
i dont think so, because you cant short anthing with your blobk just because you put as5 on it

Torin
06-06-2006, 07:29 AM
I may well have made an unfounded decision, for all I know.

What then, if any, is the reason to use Ceramique over AS5?

creidiki
06-06-2006, 07:37 AM
1. Subzero temps - as5 goes solid
2. low temps - as5 doesent cure properly at temperatures some water loops achieve, let alone ambient or sub-ambient cooling with tecs or chillers
3. cooling small ics - like vcard power regs - where slight capacitative ability of as5 maybe be an issue
4. youre just lazy/prefer the way ceramique spreads, some people find it easyer to apply/remove

Torin
06-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Good to know, thanks for the update. I probably made my decision on some bit of unfounded information that I took for truth.

mad mikee
06-06-2006, 08:51 AM
1. Subzero temps - as5 goes solid
2. low temps - as5 doesent cure properly at temperatures some water loops achieve, let alone ambient or sub-ambient cooling with tecs or chillers
3. cooling small ics - like vcard power regs - where slight capacitative ability of as5 maybe be an issue
4. youre just lazy/prefer the way ceramique spreads, some people find it easyer to apply/remove

#5 22G syringe = $7.99 US :fact:

creidiki
06-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Well yes, that also :lol:

Seufari
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM

Can someone elaborate on that? Why is it easier to work with?

andersson.j
06-06-2006, 11:16 PM
What about Zalmans new ZM-STG1 (http://www.zalman.com.tw/) (under optional products). I doubt that it beats arctic silver 5 or ceramique though!

Stigma
06-07-2006, 06:30 AM
then you moved for the wrong reason. as5 is an non-conductive as ceramique, but it is slighly capacitative.

Well, that amounts to much the same thing when you accidentally get some on some memory pins or something - it screws stuff up :p:

but its not like AS5 runs or anything, so unless your sloppy when putting it on, its safe.

-Stigma

Starscream
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
anyone already had his hand on some ZM-STG1.

the only review in a language i understood says its a lil better then ceramique.
http://www.hi-techreviews.com/Joomla/content/view/170/27/1/2/

Crazy4life
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/thr-26.html?id=KAGmsSCh

I might get some for my pressy and hope my blue orb 2 holds up.

Trice
06-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Im going to try AS Ceramique this weekend. :)