PDA

View Full Version : newb wondeirng bout watercooling

CCW
02-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering what is the best way for say £200 for me to get a good starter kit for watercooling? id prefer to get a kit then buy separate at first cos i dont nkow what i need! just looking for advice and ideas please and know im not gonna make my own waterblocks like some of the wizards in this part of the forum!

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Craig

texuspete00
02-24-2003, 07:28 AM
check out swiftnets.com and dangerden.com

IFMU
02-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Theres a thread on OC.coms forums that has links to nearly anyplace that sells watercooling.

Check it out, its worth it!~! (http://www.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126143)

CCW
02-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey, cheers guys, also, do all watercooling kits use the holes on motherboards? can u get em with the clips that come on heatsinks? however if u can get em would u be able to use the blocks on new types of sockets, i presume not because they may be bigger, is the amd 64bit usign a bigger socket?

Thanks,
Craig

KnightElite
02-24-2003, 11:40 AM
No, not all watercooling kits use the holes. Offhand, I can think of a few blocks that use clips, such as the Swiftech MCW5000.
\

Marci
02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
drop by my place.. can sort you out with a kit fer less than £200 no probs... just waitin for stock at the mo...

CCW
02-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Marci,

Been looking around your site, very impressive, Ive gotta go to schoool now so I will look again later. Just wondering what you'd recommend?

Thank you very much,

Craig

CCW
02-25-2003, 12:39 PM
just wondering - if i get a watercooling kit without the holes but standard clips, when processors change will i have to buy a new cpu block to fit and the old stuff will be ok for new block? are the holes better to use? ive never seen anybody use em, sorry for all the dumb questions but we all have to learn sometime

Thanks,
Craig

EDIT - Also, do you think my case is big enough to fit a watercooling kit in and still keep good airflow, i have the full tower dragon, although it might be a scorpio, will the space above the psu be big enough to house the kit?

is it worth me buying another of these cases and take the one side of each putting em side by side and running the piping through with the water cooling stuff in the second case?

this would be an expensive way to do it but would give me a lot more room to add more water cooling stuff later

sorry for all the questions

Thanks very much guys,

Craig

CCW
02-26-2003, 11:53 PM
anyone???

Craig

CCW
02-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Also, I will have £200 by this saturday

Craig

KnightElite
02-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Adding another case on the side works well.... but it makes the whole setup rather cumbersome. If you can fit everything in one case (which you probably can, if it's a full tower) then don't bother.

CCW
02-27-2003, 10:14 AM
hmmm, and the case adds another £70 onto the price of the kit, i mean, i have room for two and it would probably be better for airflow cos i could stick all drives in second case and route cable round in a bound and have plenty of room for good airflow

Also, will the holes on future motherobards be in the same place so i can use the cpu block again?

Thanks,
Craig

N8
02-27-2003, 10:48 AM
I like to keep it all in one case....much cleaner that way. Any of the Antec(& the clones) midtowers will accomodate pretty much any watercooling setup. Here's my current setup for reference:

http://www.n8s.net/imup/N8.PC.01.jpg

CCW
02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Thats a nice set-up N8, I think I iwll go two cases because then i can still have air blowing in through the front over raid and scsi,

also, i am gonan cool NB and proc, is it worth having Proc -> Radiator -> NB to cool water back down before it reaches NB and then another radiator to get rid of NB heat?

Thanks,
Craig

N8
02-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Personally I don't think the extra radiator is worth the cost, space, & hassle due to the fact that the NB puts out an extremely small amount of heat & the water goin in & comin out of the CPU block is not all _that_ different in temperature ;)

CCW
02-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Cheers N8,

last question for now - will the holes stay the same place on future mobos? for future processors will i only need to change the cpu block, will say one of Marcis kits be ok for the future. I have to sure on everything before I make an expensive purchase like this so sorry for all the questions.

Craig

KnightElite
02-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by CCW
Cheers N8,

last question for now - will the holes stay the same place on future mobos? for future processors will i only need to change the cpu block, will say one of Marcis kits be ok for the future. I have to sure on everything before I make an expensive purchase like this so sorry for all the questions.

Craig

No, probably not. I believe there is already a set of technical documents describing the holes on the Hammer platform.

But as long as you have a Socket A board, then you will be able to use the same mounting holes.

As to the extra radiator, it's not worth the bother, since the temperatures in your entire WC loop only vary by ~1.5ºC (unless your pump is UBER slow).

CCW
02-28-2003, 09:12 AM
OK, cheers KnightElite for your help, will have £195 by tomorrow so gotta start think about what to get.

Thank you very much,
Craig

KnightElite
02-28-2003, 09:52 AM
You're welcome. Looking forward to seeing your system when it's done ;).

hedge
02-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Thats a shiny setup you go there N8. What kind of pump are you using and how much fluid does it put out?

hedge

CCW
03-01-2003, 12:32 AM
KnightElite - I have some pics of my setup as it is but not going to post em just yet, I need to get some rounded cables before I post any pics, look for 45CM 80wire for my RAID and 60CM normal for optical drives but havent found any place that do 80wire rounded, do you know of any?

BTW - ur setup looks sweet! I cant leave my case open (which is why I was thinking of gettign two cases - one to hold watercooling etc) cos I have a 3 year old brother

Craig

KnightElite
03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Well, my setup is not sweet to move around ;). But it does work fairly well. And since it's up on the desk, I doubt that a 3 year old kid could get into it ;). And mine would work fine if I put the sides on, it's just that I change stuff often, so I don't bother.

CCW
03-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Judging by this pic: http://hjertaas.duncans.ca/wholesetup.jpg
doesnt look like all that fits in one case!

had to spend a bit of my £200, got £180, first purcahse is radeon 9700pro (£250 from komplett) and then save up for watercooling which should take a month so i have plenty of time to learn bout it

Craig