PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried off-board navigation?

coolbzl
06-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Have you guys ever tried some off-board navigation tools? I've been thinking to install the newly introduced Nav4All on my cell phone recently, my friend told me it's a very convenient navigation software, it only requires your GPRS cell to have Bluetooth function, so it can be connected with a GPS signal receiver to triangulate your position, utterly simple to maneuver, yet I just don't know, will the excess usage of Bluetooth significantly shorten the life of my battery? How often do I have to recharge? Does anyone here have some hands-on experience about this?

Shaz
06-04-2006, 06:25 AM
I prefer using a map to any sort of navigation tool.

I find alot of them don't know half the roads that you have in a map and will enjoy taking you the long way.

(I shouldn't really say that on a computer forum)

amd4me
06-08-2006, 09:29 AM
There is very good GPS units and there is shiit GPS units .
Make sure you dont have to download "maps" for your GPS unit.
If so it will just tell you where you are on that map.
And if you wanna travel outside of that area you need a new download or disc depending on which model you get.

Now some of the good ones get their map and location from the satellites.
So lets so you wanna go to Indonesia it will be able to tell you where you are without any sort of update.
I have had good experiences with both Garmin and the Palm series GPS units.
And remember as with any product , do your research first!

antipop
06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
amd4me are you sure about the map? All the gps unit i know of required to load a map first. The satellite only tells you were you are positioned, he doesn't tell you the name of the street or were to go.

I have a GPS unit build in my car (BMW) and it's a really nice feature. The map are loaded from a dvd that contains all the european continent, I can buy additional dvd if I need card for other areas (which i doubt i'll ever will).

As for bluetooth, it really depends on your phone. My bro had an old ericsson and the battery drain from bluetooth is rather big however i have a new nokia N70 and the battery drain is not that big (i leave it always on) but i don't use bluetooth a lot. I also have or had a RAZR V3c, samsung D500 and E720 and on all of them the battery was ok (it was noticeable on the samsung however).

amd4me
06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
amd4me are you sure about the map? All the gps unit i know of required to load a map first. The satellite only tells you were you are positioned, he doesn't tell you the name of the street or were to go.

I have a GPS unit build in my car (BMW) and it's a really nice feature. The map are loaded from a dvd that contains all the european continent, I can buy additional dvd if I need card for other areas (which i doubt i'll ever will).

As for bluetooth, it really depends on your phone. My bro had an old ericsson and the battery drain from bluetooth is rather big however i have a new nokia N70 and the battery drain is not that big (i leave it always on) but i don't use bluetooth a lot. I also have or had a RAZR V3c, samsung D500 and E720 and on all of them the battery was ok (it was noticeable on the samsung however).
Sure am.
They auto load the maps.
No more finding discs or anything like that.
As for a cell phone model , I would get a standalone unit.