PDA

View Full Version : partitioning raid array vs extra IDE drive

chuckster
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm building a new system and I want to put in a RAID-5 array. My motherboard has a 4-disk SATA RAID-5 compatible controller, and I have four disks for it, but I want to use those for storage. It can also take two IDE drives.*
My question is this: I want the RAID array for storage only so would it be better to throw Windows/Apps onto an IDE drive and boot from there or to partition the RAID array in that way? Also, would it be better (in whichever case) to have a separate IDE drive or partition for the Apps and leave Windows all on its own?
Thanks alot, I've never used RAID arrays so I have no idea what I'm working with, advice/tips are appreciated. I can give more info too if you need it. :)

*If you're wondering why I'm not worried about optical drives for IDE slots, I have a PCI IDE controller I can put in to handle those.

Steensen
06-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Put OS on one partition, games on a second, and programs etc on a thierd partition, and then only use your RAID 5 arrey for storrage.

chuckster
06-04-2006, 07:52 AM
You mean on the IDE? And if so, would you be worried at all about the IDE being slower than the SATA, or should I not worry about that?

Steensen
06-04-2006, 08:20 AM
There is no performance gain going from PATA-100 to SATA-150/300.

As long as it's 7200 rpm PATA hdd's, then there should be no significant difference.
The only way to gain performance, changing from PATA to SATA, is when you buy a WD Raptor 10k rpm hdd.

be aware, that most MoBo's with RAID 5 option, they use a lot of the CPU's performance.